Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

The 1999 BGW price list with dealer cost.

Page 6 of the list is not shown since its the terms & conditions (e.g. min. order, returns, etc.)

The "Pro net price" that you see is equivalent to retail price and next to this is dealer cost.

The best known BGW models, like the Pro Series 750 are on page 3 of the list. The number of these has shrinked a lot (only 3 left) to make space for new Series, such as the Millennium for example. However on page 5, the replacement modules for amp models, you get a longer list of the models, still partial though considering mine were 100Bs not listed here because it was replaced by model 150 and later again by model 200. I think Seawolf has a couple of amps on the modules list (750, 320, 620 ?)

Note for the BGW Grand Touring Amps Series (page 4) the GTC model (2RU) i've shown pic before with some text, is not on that page, but the replacement module for it appears on page 5. Little info was ever released for the newer GTC. Can't remember seeing a tech sheet or a manual for this one. The following may explain why.

Around the turn of the Century BGW was also sold, new company ownership had different plans in mind for BGW, a niche manufacturer for theater amps. They still exist (bgw.com) but changed dramatically, mostly a large Cinema amp manufacturer now...

* Please don't repost these pics on other web site(s).

EDIT: Pictures posting problem, have to split the pics...

Richard

Name:  IMG_2489.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  164.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2490.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2491.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2493.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2496.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  161.1 KB

I have the 250D ... not on your list
    and the 320b , also not.
    the 203 , not again
    and the 750D , ancestor to that 750G

started on BGW by Loach71 (LHF member) , who is
    our resident expert on the brand.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...p?2412-loach71
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Wolf,

320B is on the modules list, 3rd one. The oldest models you mention as well as my former ones are not on the list, they were part of the "erased" trend i mentioned before for legacy products (posts # 363-4).

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Wolf,

320B is on the modules list, 3rd one. The oldest models you mention as well as my former ones are not on the list, they were part of the "erased" trend i mentioned before for legacy products (posts # 363-4).
    very difficult to read the text in ur pics

Wolf, and others

CONTEXT: From memory, a year or so ago, maybe in music thread? can't remember, had a discussion about Supertramp's Crime of the Century regular LP vs the remastered version on premium vinyl ($). Widget brought an interesting comment about a comparison he and a buddy did a while ago of the original one vs the remastered version. Surprisingly (not negatively said) they preferred the original's sound over the newer one, as i recall, so following his advice i didn't bother purchasing the remastered. (Btw still out of stock everywhere i looked, same for the Dark Side of the Moon, but have both, regular LP's, nice shape).

Well, i think i came across another similar situation where a CD version of LP leaves a lot to be desired... Fleetwood Mac's 1977 Rumours LP vs their 1988 "Best of" CD which naturally includes a number of the same songs. Pretty poor rendering compared to the original LP performance. On CD some tracks have no bass! very thin vs the original, had to add 3db something i rarely do, also some tracks have notably exagerated HF!, very unpleasant.

Why Fleetwood Mac would do new recordings for CD of the previously released material on LP, which seems to be the case here, when all they had to do is pull out the original analog master tapes and remaster them from analog to digital?

Could this be a case where the original master tapes were destroyed by the 1982 or so California earthquake for example?

Or read somewhere that Canadian artist Taylor Swift (have none of her's) was re-recording all of her albums, which she'll now own 100%, due to some litigation with her record company. Same for Mac?

Disappointed at the poor sound job on the CD. Any clue as to what might have happened here?

First pic studio credits for the 1977 LP, second pic the same for the 1988 CD. Regarding the latter, haven't heard before of "The Complex" studios, nor of the mastering facility "Precision Lacquer". Who mastered the original LP is not clear. But in these times, in that field, there's about a half-dozen names that kept coming back: The Mastering Lab, Masterdisk, Bernie Grundman Mastering, JVC Cutting Center, etc. None of those here though...

Richard

Name:  IMG_2501.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  209.5 KBName:  IMG_2504_LI.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  78.8 KB

bought a bargain CD sometime back ... could hear surface noise and pops
    from the LP that it was duped from.

I have both LP's & CD's from MSFL and have been disappointed, the recording
    gain is so low, that you must turn your own up and now reintroduces noise again.

Tho, I have the WYWH Immersion Box Set
    on high bitrate CD and they are very nice.

https://www.amazon.com/Wish-You-Were...vies-tv&sr=1-4

Sea,

From what i understand yours might be a defective CD? Agree, Mobile Fidelity LP at $50.+ each should be top notch on every aspect, that's why people buy these in the first place.

Mine wasn't a cheap CD, genuine Warner Bros. Records CD, pressing done by Cinram in Toronto, Canada. Have no issue related to the physical aspects of the CD (noise, etc). However, on how it sounds, well like low level disc mastering... Maybe the engineer was deaf, couldn't hear the lack of bass or the pretty exagerated treble on some tracks.

P.S. Work now optional in Portland? OH! great place, count me in, dream job.Where do i sign for this? As i understand it i can drink your beer for free anytime, no work in return. i'm on my way...

Sea,

From what i understand yours might be a defective CD? Agree, Mobile Fidelity LP at $50.+ each should be top notch on every aspect, that's why people buy these in the first place..

P.S. Work now optional in Portland? OH! great place, count me in, dream job.Where do i sign for this? As i understand it i can drink your beer for free anytime, no work in return. i'm on my way...
    Not bad CD .. this was when I was using new Sony ES player and a GOLD MSFL disk of Santana's Abraxas (one of my top 2 DID's)

Sure , you ae welcome down here ... just go South and turn right at The Loonies.
    (tho you mite not get back in ..)

Well, i think i came across another similar situation where a CD version of LP leaves a lot to be desired... Fleetwood Mac's 1977 Rumours LP vs their 1988 "Best of" CD which naturally includes a number of the same songs. Pretty poor rendering compared to the original LP performance. On CD some tracks have no bass! very thin vs the original, had to add 3db something i rarely do, also some tracks have notably exagerated HF!, very unpleasant.
    When you say you are comparing the "Best of" CD to the LP, are you comparing the CD to an analog vinyl record? Vinyl records always have different mixes with different compression, equalization, low bass mixed into mono, etc. Often the analog records tend to sound better than the early CDs but not always.

Also it doesn't have to be bargain basement CDs vs. major label CDs, or an original vs. a compilation... the music industry has been very bad about communicating various mixes of an artist's work. Sometimes there will be (remix) in the metadata or on the packaging, but other times there is no indication of who remixed the song/album or which version is the original.

I think you will find with many of the old popular selections, Dark Side of the Moon, Brothers in Arms, Rumours, and on and on that you can pick up several versions and they all sound quite different. The original intent/selling point of MQA was that the original artists were signing off on the "definitive studio mix", but as they have flooded the market with lower rez MQA streams, it feels like the only purpose of MQA is its superior compression, but that is only speculation.

So on the subject of mixes; below are Roon screen shots from my iPad while playing three versions of Dreams from the Fleetwood Mac Rumours album. At the bottom of the image is a graphical depiction of the song's dynamics as well as where you are in the song in time. In the center of the image is a pop up window I called up for each song to show the file info.

The first example is the first version of this album I purchased... maybe ten years ago. The next version is one that I added to my NAS from a friend's collection and I have no idea what it's vintage was. Both versions have identical metadata so Gracenote can not differentiate them and my Roon system compiled them into a single album with the earlier version of each song followed by the later version... I could dig in an edit this manually, but isn't a big deal for me. The third version is from a hi rez digital download, fully uncompressed 24 bit 96kHz.

All three sound quite different. The first version sounds fine, perhaps a bit thinner than playing my '70s vintage vinyl album. The second version is seriously compressed, the bass slam is impressive but the music is tiring and just too pumped up... the hi rez version is slightly louder and more compressed than the older CD, but it isn't aggressive or in your face and gives the best overall presentation. The fact that it is hi rez doesn't hurt either. I can also stream the 24/96 Tidal MQA version which when fully "unfolded" sounds the same as my uncompressed 24/96 file. Unfortunately Roon isn't able to provide compression/loudness data on streamed content.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

I think you will find with many of the old popular selections, Dark Side of the Moon, Brothers in Arms, Rumours, and on and on that you can pick up several versions and they all sound quite different.
    Widget

IMHO , Brothers in Arms was produced so well that maybe hasn't needed remastering or had different versions ?

One of my DID's is Abraxas ... have it on many different media. The one that really stands out is the vinyl QUAD LP. Can hear small details that do NOT appear to me in the others. And I'm NOT listening in quad, but distilled down to stereo.

Doubt that they recorded separately for a 4chan version ? So ASSUMING that sustains & band que's were mastered out of the non-quads ? Maybe a different mastering engineer ?

Thread Information