Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

SOME CABLES AND CONNECTORS

Latest trip to dealer i added some more Neutrik connectors to my stock. Heard at the time something that i didn't like, dealer wondering if some connectors might be discontinued since their automatic replenishment of those by distributor is not being done for certain models i happen to like. Didn't smell good. Whatever the reason i didn't want to be left with the models i don't like as over time i have many more cable assemblies to make.

So recently checking Neutrik's web site only confirms the bad news. They discontinued the whole C series (7 models), like NP3C 1/4" TRS; NP2C 1/4" TS and other similar ones. These are good 1/4" connectors i often use, specially the balanced NP3C. Neutrik's bean counter decided he'd seen those long enough i guess. Its a damn shame to pretend, like Neutrik does, the replacement PX series (NP3X and NP2X) is an improvement. Its a joke.

Owning a pair of those NP3X to look at and test, they're not worth my time, except maybe for someone using a very small cable such as Canare L-2B2AT. Too much assembly time wasted "fighting" with this too small body connector using normal size cable. Not using that pair its a low ball from Neutrik bean counter. Granted in a tight patchbay one might find it acceptable, can't think of another usefulness with actual normal user cables.

I wouldn't be surprised they'll also discontinue in the near future older XLRs NC3MX and NC3FX i also use, since Neutrik already released replacement models NC3MXX and NC3FXX, that most local professionals simply refuse to purchase! If i'm ever short of NP3C, NC3MX or NC3FX then i'll simply switch the shorter Canare cable assemblies i kept to longer Provo installation cable. This won't be a pain the connectors i used with Canare were mostly good old Swiss made Neutriks that last for life. Don't intend to use the newer models the mfr is pushing. Nein!

Richard

91 Neutriks all in, 1/4" and XLRs. Might seem crazy but when i'm done there won't be many left, maybe spares. I want to avoid unplugging cables from say crossover A to use them on crossover B and do the same for EQs, amps, etc. wasting time with plug/unplug for each move. Every device having its own wiring, that leaves turning the switches/pots on or off...
    Name:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  95.9 KB
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Name:  IMG_3150.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3151.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3160.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3156.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  103.7 KB

Needed some more solder so went to local electronics store, then saw they had a small roll of installation cable i like left (32 ft), therefore picked it up too, though not in need of this now, but the way things are going that cable might become B/O ("supply chain issues" being the trend) or gets discontinued like so many things these days.

Two conductors (twisted pair) wrapped in foil shield plus drain wire in contact with the shield drains the unwanted to ground. I don't really like the cable my dealer uses/sells for installations, it looks more like a smaller size microphone cable with a braided shield.

Richard

Name:  IMG_3140.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  77.1 KB

yes. looks like microphone cable for permanent installs. 20ga, so perhaps intended for longer runs. I have a small spool of that somewhere. Handy to have around.

Hi grumpy,

Thanks for the input. I normally use 20-22 ga in my installations and the cable size/weight remains relatively small which i like. I also have similar type cables but in 18 ga and consider this overkill in view of distances implicated up to now (2 meters), haven't used those 18 ga yet.

Btw, and for comparison purpose only, Eargle mentions in Handbook of Sound System Design page 166, the standard, quality mic cable uses a pair of 24 AWG conductors. And from me, i noted that cheaper mic cables often use smaller 26 AWG conductors i try to avoid. I know the 20 ga balanced (or 22 ga) isn't necessary for my lengths, never had this issue with Canare's 25 ga, but the lesser resistance of the cable available doesn't hurt either. So in my case kind of a doesn't really help much but doesn't hurt type of thing. 20 ga cost involved was not a problem.

Richard

Was rainy recently so it was a good time to make some more cables i haven't had time to do before.

Previously shown here unassembled spring RCA connectors with Canare cable (Page 22, post # 320, second pic) are finally done. That Asian connector's spring at cable entry gives a nice curve to cable, instead of a right angle or so in tight places. The connector is a little more tricky for cable assembly than the Senior brand RCAs on hand, the latter being easier to work with. However the Senior has a larger diameter cable entry not required here and doesn't provide an entry spring which is nice to have with very small installation wiring. That connector not being premium brand, though OK, might not take excessive solder cup heat as the insulator around the male pin while being correct doesn't seem heavy duty for heat resistance, in normal use its ok.

The two 18" lengths are from a leftover of Canare L-2B2AT twisted pair 25 AWG, none left now, they'll be used for Bellari phono preamp to Aphex Interface connections, both devices near each other in the present setup and it will be the same when all is back in the racks. For once very short cables turned into something useful. They'll have a nice curve instead of a tight bend, preferable with a foil shield cable vs a more flexible braided one. Btw of all that Canare i also used in the past (Page 20, post #300, second pic) surprisingly none of it has manufacturer name on the jacket, instead the Canare name is printed on the foil shield inside!

Though i've used the Canare for years, and keep those 3-4 ft. lenght assemblies as is for shorter distances between equipment, i don't recommended using it, not for quality issue, rather for its very small size, a pain in the ass for large fingers to handle, kids fingers might be more agile in this case. Moreover since i need longer cables now with more gear i'm making new ones, as spare time allows, in 6.5 ft. lengths, using mostly Provo Canada installation cables with 20 or 22 AWG (tinned copper).

Phono being a two-wire thing per channel (conductor and ground), and the Canare being a three-wire thing (balanced cable, two conductors plus drain wire), this was an opportunity to benefit from Eargle's trick: two identical wire gauges connected in parallel are equivalent to a three-size increase. So the two 25 AWG conductors were twisted together at each cable end before soldering to connectors, effectively acting as one 22 AWG wire, plus shield to ground. I knew i would use the trick one day, this was the perfect occasion re small wire size. Finally the spring RCAs make a pretty good looking assembly with the small Canare cable, at least to my eyes...

Richard

Name:  IMG_3131.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  81.0 KB

The underside of connector shown. The hole is where the drain wire goes in and rests in a recess in the metal where it is soldered. Curiously, when you increase pic size it seems like the connector has some rust, but it has none, might be some light reflection effect or the small camera i use.

Name:  IMG_3135.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3146.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  73.2 KB