Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

On the topic of port contours and flares unfortunately this does not solve the issue of port pipe organ resonances.

On the AVS forums Erin has used Klippel to test and measure pipe organ resonance in number of JBL systems. From my observation the smaller LSR monitors suffer these problems. Yes it is audible according to Erin. This type resonance is a function of the enclosure air volume relative to the port air volume. A long port tube is required in a small enclosure volume compared to a shorter port in a larger enclosure of identical port tuning frequency.

The only definite solution is to use a passive radiator. Focal and several other near field monitor manufacturers have used passive radiators successfully.

In terms of overall listening satisfaction consider the following trade off:

Is an over damped bass reflex design using a low port tuning frequency with a long port more important than risking audible pipe resonances in the midrange?

In a small two way system probably not.

Looking at the alternatives with a 3 way system you can limit the bandwidth of the woofer to avoid pipe organ resonances. But this adds cost and complexity to a commercial product.

Adam and Focal both have premium 3 way near field monitors but they are beyond the budget of most home studio set ups.

The passive radiator suddenly becomes an appealing option. But suitable panel real estate is required. For this reason passive radiators are now available in rounded rectangular shapes.

An external powered sub woofer is another alternative. The main loudspeaker can use set up as a sealed enclosure while a seperate dedicated subwoofer uses an optimised bass reflex tuning. The advantages are powerful extended low bass. Tight upper bass and low colouration mid range.

HIGH-FREQUENCY HORNS, REALLY??

The revenge of the mid/high dome...

A number of my colleagues here only have an ear for the horn, discarding the dome idea with no hesitation. Well, if they really knew they'd possibly keep the other ear open for... the dome! This is part of an interesting discussion from Eargle's Loudspeaker Handbook, comparing dome vs horn distortion. Guess who wins, no not that one, out of your comfort zone i assume.

I know this is not what you'd like to hear, it couldn't be, absolutely impossible, will never happen, etc. Nevertheless its true the dome has in fact less distortion than the horn, level for level. Ouch, you may be hurting now, with all this horn hardware. However, it is what it is, sorry.

And while they cope with horn distortion in the 5% range i enjoy music with only 1-2% distortion from my domes, sounds fair to me! Horns are largely an output (SPL, impact) game, with pattern control (dispersion) being another important aspect of these.

Who really needs 125-130 db capability in a home environment, where most of the listening takes place. I sure don't. Maybe the odd guy does. Some of the best (faithfull) monitors made, e.g. B & W 801, ATC SCM 300, some Genelec, etc. don't even use horns, instead have cones and domes.

This is not intended to shame anyone here, nor their system, i simply find the situation rather fun when the small dome speaker (mid and/or high) presents less distortion than the larger horn hardware...

I need to shoot a few pics to post here, as they explain the matter. Should come soon.

Richard
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Hi Richard,

I am not convinced that domes have lower distortion across the board. A lot has happened in both dome driver and horn driver manufacturing in recent times. If you subscribe to Voice Coil they regularly test both dome and compression drivers.

JBL seems to have mastered the art of wave guides using soft domes in their LRS 3 series.

It really depends on the application? The bandwidth of the transducers, actual SPL test levels and the type of test. sine wave or FFT.

Below is a test by a reputable horn supplier to the diy market in Canada. See the distortion levels.

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/r...-1200-biradial

Then there is the sound. Both domes and horns have a following.

First group of 3 pics regarding horn vs dome distortion. All pics are text from JBL's Engineer John Eargle,

Loudspeaker Handbook, 2nd ed., Pages 200, 201, 249, 253, 256 and 258.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Example of a more rapid flare horn (and higher cutoff frequency) with a positive impact on distortion.

Richard

P.S. Another group of 3 pics to come, there's a presentation order/logic so that less familiar members can follow too. These might be the juiciest ones.

The last 3 pics of the dome vs horn distortion issue.

My comments on this will follow in the near future. The very last pic re ATC will be explained at that time (not about dome vs horn distortion per se).

Please don't repost the pics elsewhere.

Richard

This link illustrates the relationship of distortion in typical compression drivers

http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/T....1,%20No.8.pdf

This link illustrates thd in the LSR 6300 monitors

http://www.cieri.net/Documenti/JBL/T...3,%20No.2A.pdf

Trends in monitor design

Near field monitors now dominate studio monitor sales.
    Nearly all near field monitors are active self powered designs.
    The reference level for near field monitors using a DAW console is 82 db with headroom of +20 db (102db).
    Numerous two way near field monitors employ a HF wave guide to control directivity and reduce THD of the HF driver in the crossover region.
    Premium near field monitors are three way designs with built in active amplification.

The above trends point to lower monitoring levels and compact formats where direct radiators have an advantage.

Larger control rooms used by major record labels still use large legacy monitoring systems. But the trend is moving towards multi monitor 7.2.4 mid field systems for recording Atmos sound tracks and Atmos music recordings. Large monitors are simply not practical for multi channel bed layer 7.1 formats.

COMMENTS ON THE SIX PICTURES REGARDING HORN VS DOME DISTORTION

Following my last post i sense that horn fan hearts might bleed, or maybe in denial mode from the distortion news. Although Eargle isn't the only one having such info. Each user group benefits of something: with horns its mainly SPL and pattern control, whereas with domes its lower distortion sound. You can't win them all. And don't worry we'll still like the horn guys here even though they project too much distortion, lol

1rst pic

The normal operating levels mentioned, 95-110 db, is higher than one might have anticipated, pretty high. That wasn't expectted i guess. But i'll take the good news, its free and i'm a dome man. On the other hand this db range is consistent with Eargle's example where he's using a 107 db level for dome distortion assessment.

2nd pic

At least we know where the horn's distortion comes from, thermodynamic high pressures, and the remedy of increasing the horn's flare rate.

3rd pic

Distortion in a horn can be measured, as well as calculated (there's a math formula for this). It involves, among other things, the intensity at the throat. There's also a graph helping to solve the equation, which i haven't posted and hesitate to do so, since it might be proprietary info? (its absent from Tech Note V 1, No 8 about horns).

Quickly, for this exercise Eargle tested two horns, 2352 and 2360, using the same 2446 driver, both at 107 db. The choice of a 107 db level (6 db lower than CD/horn 113 db sensitivity) doesn't appear to be an accident. Looks like a deliberate decision in order to match with the assessed dome's 107db capability, the level for level mentioned.

Distortion was measured and also calculated with the formula/graph. At the top of this pic it says "a difference of about 1.3 db". That's the difference between the calculated vs the measured distortion for the horn. A 1.3 db distortion discrepancy between the two methods isn't large enough to call your mom and share drama...

4th pic

The dome example Eargle used is a fairly low power unit at 25W (again probably to match the 107 db level of his horn comparision). The raw domes i have cover the 30-100W range. A number of dome tweeters do take 100W and can do 115 db when their sensitivity is 95 db (i have pairs).

The lowest program material capacity domes i have, the 30W Hi Vi Research, was purchased mostly for their response. They have a pretty flat frequency response from 2 khz out to 25 khz!, except for a small bump at 10 khz, while my EQs have a slider at 10 khz so its an easy correction, say -2db and you're done. In addition it was a great bargain for a pair of small 2-way satellite speakers that i can biamp with the bass cabs when i want.

5th pic

Eargle refers to a comparison and data review in Fig. 7-22C, this is actually where he compared the two horns distortion, 2352 and 2360 (3rd pic). Here using the same 107 db level to assess distortion in the 25W dome tweeter described. Needless to say the horn is about at "idle" with such level, whereas that dome is at the end of its rope, but nevertheless has lower distortion.

His mention of the dome producing somewhat less HF distortion appears to be trying to avoid offending the horn crowd. Because when doing some simple calculations the numbers speak for themselves. Taking the middle of the 1-2% range for the dome is 1.5% a reasonable assumption, and the horn's 5% mentioned. Well, this would mean the horn has 3 times more distortion than the dome! Now with the same dome assumption, but this time assuming an even better horn with about 3% distortion, the dome would still have half of the horn's distortion.

6th pic

The ATC mid info given was not intended to be part of some monitor trend. It was shown as an example of more powerful dome mids available, than what Eargle used. His example of ATC 150W 115 db dome mid and my own 100W 115 db dome tweeters meet most level requirements. The lingering question of dome output capability to reach a certain level isn't really one, except for the extreme level monitoring.

Sadly there isn't as many dome mids left on the market, with good performance and reasonable cost, compared to prior times when, for example, the initial Peerless and Vifa in Denmark had some decent models that didn't break the bank. The ATC type domes go for a fair amount of money. I've looked at a number of others, many are poor quality or performance (e.g. frequency response deviations, quite low sensitivity), while good ones seem to have inflation built-in.

When i get time I'll post an example of a former good mid dome value (price/performance) that later went down the drain when it was reissued by other well-known manufacturers. Supposedly the replacement copy of it, well its outrageous...

Richard

The post about Crowe (# 558 here) doesn't help the poster, nor does the Tech Note V 1, No 8 about horns, in view of the horn distortion percentages reported below.

First, things seem to be mixed up on Crowe's side regarding the actual horn used. Crowe says the RCF CD is on his ES 800 Biradial horn but his graphs show its on the ES 1200 Biradial.

As for the distortion levels i was referred to there's a little catch there. Recall that Eargle used a 107 db level in order to compare two horn's distortion, as well to compare dome vs horn distortion.

However, Crowe uses 85 db and 95 db SPL to assess horn distortion. This is pretty low levels for a compression driver/horn combo. Driving such at 85 db (or 95 db) seems like the waste of a driver/horn. A dome driver could easily do these levels for a lot less money, less distortion and probably flatter response.

Moreover, there's at least a 12 db level difference between Crowe vs Eargle tests, not a trivial amount. No wonder Crowe's horn distortion numbers may look attractive, its a less demanding testing situation. 12 db or more output would impact negatively Crowe's distortion numbers for sure. Maybe why he chose lower horn levels than others?

As for the Tech note it indicates that horn distortion has little to do with voltage drive but instead more an acoustical output matter. JBL's own distortion numbers in that note: 2445/2360 at 25% dist. measured (26% calculated), and 2425/2327/2360 at 40% dist. measured (48% calculated). These numbers are at 10 khz. Looking at a Eargle horn distortion graph its pretty clear that it increases as frequency goes up (level remaining constant).

On the other hand both Crowe and Eargle used 2 khz for distortion assessment (in Eargle's case the 2 khz was used for distortion calculation with the formula, which requires that you input a driving frequency and other data, otherwise no calculation. But for measured distortion a number of frequencies were used from 1 khz to 10 khz).

Surprisingly 10 khz appears to be a more challenging situation than 2 khz. Comparing these might be seen as an unfair comparison. Fine, then give the 10 khz horn above any reasonable handicap (golf language here, lol) and i'm confident it'll still not match the dome's lower distortion.

Waveguides are a non argument here, the topic isn't waveguide distortion vs dome, but rather horn vs dome. Moreover, what i've seen yet is waveguides for cones and/or domes only: JBL 3 series, Genelec monitors, JBL 4632 Screen Array, etc. Potential horn developments or technology on the drawing board or on a shelf don't help users much. Its more about what guys here actually use, that means many different horns and domes, with a number of older ones.

Systems distortion isn't relevant either since other components, than horn or dome implicated, may introduce some distortion of their own. When making comparisons everything should be the same as much as possible (same setup), except for one variable, in this case the horn or dome, as Eargle did for the 2360 vs 2352 horn dist.

Finally, the real and most interesting aspect in Crowe's distortion comparison between horn vs dome (dome in horn H2606) is where it shows this dome has significant lower distortion than horn... Compared to unity, crowe's "only 1.8 times better" (see pic) nevertheless that means 80% less dome distortion! (Btw the H2606 mentioned is pretty similar to my Vifa H25... and Peerless H26... tweeters).

Richard