Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Bgw amp plus eq for free!

From JBL document regarding replacement diaphragms possible fit
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Eargle's quite simple explanation of the relation between efficiency, F3, cab volume, and distortion...

Richard

A NEW ADVENTURE...

Late november i tried to replicate a good turntable stylus purchase, for Shure M95ED cart, that i bought 3 years ago from LP Gear. Still have that low mileage one and wasn't in need of another but the offer was good then why not?

Recall my previous comments that this LPG stylus was impressively well made for a $37. or so unit at the time. Since LPG held some stylus replacement week(s) along with a 10% discount, then i figured i could buy another nice one at practically identical price ($38.). Boy was i wrong!

This purchase turned out to be a disappointment, its not the same animal at all, but i figured with a little ingenuity and some work i would be able to salvage the stylus and make something acceptable with it.

Examined the diamond with my pen type 50X microscope and it was not nice, the one who cut it didn't bother cleaning and polishing it, many cuttings still on it, plus its initial shape didn't look good. It took me numerous passes with the Shure stylus brush to clean the diamond in order to make it look ok. I should have taken the white brush in my small box, its just a little more rigid, and would have taken me less time. Cleaning done it seemed way better and its shape more acceptable.

The cantilver is straight, that's a positive. However the stylus guard isn't easy to activate or disengage. This seems to be caused by its pivot which appears very low quality/too tight. Seen better ones before, even on a aftermaket stylus which copied pretty well Shure's pivot. Though on the latter the cantilever isn't straight, going a little to one side, lol. Not frequent that everything is correct, even if both M95ED stylus purchased in the last year, from two different vendors, were said to be made in Japan...

Btw LPG was asking $200. ($199. exactly) for the house brand VN45HE stylus for Shure V15 IV cartridge, its not worth this kind of money at all based on my previous purchase of two of these at $125. each. Plus at the $200. price point you're close to Jico brand in the USA, so might as well go for that, should be better made, i hope...

The LPG M95ED stylus sent to me this time also has a goldish shaft that's too small diameter to stay in the cart, there's a good dose of loose in there, usually it fits tight in the cart. If i was to hold the cart up side down with stylus installed the latter would simply fall out! Another problem to take care of, which makes me feel i might have been served the wrong one, cheaper than i ordered, or their quality went down notably in 3 years.

I remembered that my Shure M75 ED Type 2 cart takes a somewhat smaller diameter shaft, its a narrower cart than the M95ED. I removed the poor stylus guard on the LPG needle, as well as the "permanent" guard attached to the cart, without breaking them, as these would prevent me to insert the stylus up to where it should be. Not my preferred way of not having a stylus guard, e.g. for storage since i do rotation among my carts, but this is a salvaging job of a unsuitable stylus.

The idea here is that i think i can make it fit properly in the M75 based on the fact some Shure stylus types can be interchangeable, as i've shown before with the SC35C cart with a N25C stylus (same body and family).

Well, tried the new LPG needle in M75, fits better but a little loose remains. Then took the miniature needle nose pliers and i "doctored" the shaft a little to have it tight fit as usual. Last night i tested it, after the digital scale step (1.4 gr.) and protractor cart adjustment. Listening first to a couple of boring songs on a mostly good LP just as a precaution in case something went bad. Then moved on to better songs as things were ok. I'm glad to report the needle works surprisingly well and sounds quite decent in that cartridge.

The only drawback is since the black plastic front part of stylus body extends further than usual so a little harder to actually see the needle on the protractor line for cart adjustment or on an LP, not a big thing. Use of a pen light helps, as well as looking at the needle from sideways. After all the work i wasn't letting the needle go to waste, for the principle, nor the $84.42 CAD all in after currency conversion. Didn't return it to LPG to save the hassels and probably having to pay another $25. of shipping. I decided to stop the bleeding and find suitable solutions.

For Shure carts, with the latest purchase, i've got 3 stylus for the M95ED, 4 for the V15 IV, 3 for the SC35C and now 3 for the M75ED Type 2. Having the M75 basically saved my ass, without it LPG needle is trash, money too.

I'm done with LP Gear's stylus quality issues. Their Japan made and alleged quality control are very deficient to say the least...

Pics will follow

Richard

Sorry for the delay to post the pics mentioned. This is the stylus i ordered from LP Gear. At the same time a pic of their house brand VN45HE recent pricing i alluded to.

In my phono cartridge tool box the white brush referred to in my last text. It has a bit stiffer hair which helps in cleaning a pretty dirty diamond like the one i received from LPG. The round brush with V shape hair is an ultra soft from AT. Good to remove dust on a needle but no more, can't really clean a diamond with that one. The black brush next to the headshell, came along Shure V15 IV, is what i mostly use since it has just the right softness for the normal situations. The cart on headshell (M95ED) is not part of the kit, i simply borrowed the stylus on this one for picture comparison.

Stylus #1 and the third one (elliptical) are very similar. Both have the yellow dot stylus guard pivot on the side like better ones use. These generally work well. The middle one (#2) that i got recently from LPG looks like a different animal, even though packaging says N95ED (LPG purchases in bulk and repacks for retail). The stylus guard pivot on the LPG isn't yellow and was poorly made (right next to my thumb on pic). No regrets in removing the guard, just have to be more careful in handling.

The shaft on three stylus. # 1 is the nice LPG needle from 3 years ago with low mileage on it. The middle (elliptical) also low mileage, from another vendor, Japan made etc, has the same diameter shaft as #1 and they fit tight in the cart. But the #2 at far right came with a smaller diameter shaft than usual, have no clue why other than a gross mistake or the needle was intended for a different body? It just doesn't hold into the M95ED cart, hence the salvage work done for a M75ED T2 fit.

The pic shows the needle installed in the M75 and next to it the two stylus guards removed, black one from LPG needle and clear one from the cart. Removing these two was a must to get the stylus in correctly, so 2 more parts for my phono stuff, you never know what the next adventure will be (once purchased a V15 IV stylus that seemed ok, turned out the stabilizer brush hair was too short to touch the record, a useless brush but the rest was ok). After cart calibration using Stevenson's protractor plus testing it the smile came back. Although not high class material its still acceptable sound wise.