Thread: JBL blue substitute

pangea

JBL blue substitute

Hi! Does anyone know of a automobile color, which would come close to the JBL blue? Preferably a fairly common European car.

I think Volvo has a blue color, which on the computer screen looks quite similar, but I'm not sure it will pass in broad daylight.

Anyone having gone through this process before and who would like to point me in the right direction?

As always, grateful for any input on this.

I'm about to build me a pair of DIY speakers. See picture.

BR
    Roland

lfh
    I figure a competent car paint shop should be able to find a close match (or provide you a custom mix) from the formulas given in Bo's thread on this topic:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...highlight=blue

BTW, neat speaker project! (Did you buy those 2123s from Skane?)

Hey, pangea...

Check-out JBL Blue Thread. We've done our best, and it ain't trivial. Cost me a friggin' fortune!! But, Hanspeter resolved the formula for our EU counterparts - see near the end of the Thread (Post #36)...

btw, I'm really liking your baffle layout!

-----

looks like I doubled-up on lfh...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

pangea
    Thank you for your kind words!
    I had lot's of help from "Earl K" though on the layout and hopefully he will continue giving me a hand, when he's back after the holidays.
    I'm also pleased with the L300 resemblance of the bass bin.

Thank you for the info/links on the JBL blue.
    However, if I can't get the color in spray cans, I'm back to square one again I should think, since I'm not sure I'll get the same result, applying the paint with a brush, in spite the "orange peel" surface.

I can only hope they'll know what "Titanium white" translates to in Swedish, or I'm in trouble again, anyhow.

BTW, do the words "eggshell enamel" say anything about gloss?

Yes I bought them from Skane (Kristianstad). Are you perhaps the seller even?
    BR
    Roland
    Last edited by pangea; 12-23-2004 at 04:14 AM. Reason: html

Maron Horonzakz
    Titanium white is a international standard for a white derived color amongst art painters. Its a bleached titanium oxide used in paintings. And a base for quality paints.

"Eggshell" is not as glossy as semi-gloss, but not as flat at flat. Intermediate between them, rather, a matte finish. Think, well, egg shell looking....

pangea

Titanium & eggshell

Many thanks for the info!

I'll be heading for the nearest paint shop, as soon as possible with the recipe.

BR
    Roland

transducergeek

Where does "Ford Blue" lay on the color chart?

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Many thanks for the info!

I'll be heading for the nearest paint shop, as soon as possible with the recipe.

BR
    Roland
    I know nothing about colors. But, once, long ago, I needed to quickly paint something blue, and I went out to Pep boy's and pruchased a spray can of plain old fashoned "Ford blue", and It worked out well. This is of probably no help, but there it is. How close do you guy's think "Ford blue" is to JBL blue?

Rolf Erickson

pangea

Ford blue

Hi!

Thanks! What kind of Fords would that be and how old would those Fords be? Was it on any Pick-up truck or any sedan, or both even?

BR
    Roland

transducergeek

"Ford Blue" look to the oval....

Quote Originally Posted by pangea
    Hi!

Thanks! What kind of Fords would that be and how old would those Fords be? Was it on any Pick-up truck or any sedan, or both even?

BR
    Roland
    Hi Roland. I believe, that the "Ford Blue" I am refering to is the universal ford blue color such as that in their "Little Blue Oval" and such. A corporate color which also was available at a local auto supply store in the USA. In a spray can of paint indicated as "ford blue" This was about 20 years ago and I do not know if it still is at retailers as that name or not. I do not know if any of their autos are painted that color or not. But look at thier Logo of the blue oval and see if that color suits your needs. Later, gator.

Rolf Erickson

Ford Blue

I think ford blue refers to the color that they painted the engine blocks. I am a chevy guy and when someone talk,s about chevy orange it is the engine block color. I would like to add i do not believe that G.M. still uses that color on there engine blocks, I believe that they stopped doing that in the mid 80,s and maybe ford did as well. Any auto parts store will have spray-cans of ford blue engine paint.

pangea

Ford blue

OK, many thanks, I'll check it out after the holidays.

BR
    Roland

Thread Information