Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 4-Way Active Crossover Options

My main setup uses a 5 way left and right. Every driver is on it's own amp. 13 channels of amps running it all including my 3 way center channel. No buzz or hum at all. Very quiet.
    Everything time aligned thru the crossover.
    I really want a room corrector for that system.

Do you not have enough EQ on the input side of the DSC260 to do your "room correction" ? In my experience room correction is done with a sledge hammer but I think I understand what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by jblguy View Post
    My main setup uses a 5 way left and right. Every driver is on it's own amp. 13 channels of amps running it all including my 3 way center channel. No buzz or hum at all. Very quiet.
    Everything time aligned thru the crossover.
    I really want a room corrector for that system.

Yes I do use the DSC 280 for time alignment. As well as crossover too. But I don't add any EQ at all. All driver are run flat and set at equal volumes.
    That's why I always felt the final tweek would be to add the corrector to fix my fuck ups. plus it can fix any rooms issues.
    I have the Mcintosh MEM220 on one system I have and it really sounds goods. But that room is an odd shape so it needed the correction for sure. It's running a Paragon which could use some help anyway. so pretty good all over that room for sure.

We’re all cloth eared at this late stage…Lol

I have the Mcintosh MEM220 on one system I have and it really sounds goods. But that room is an odd shape so it needed the correction for sure. It's running a Paragon which could use some help anyway. so pretty good all over that room for sure.
    I have always wanted to play with one. The Lyngdorf Room Perfect system that is the heart of the MEN220 is great at integrating subwoofers into a system and can eliminate low frequency room problems. I am very familiar with Room Perfect. I have it in my Lyngdorf processor in my home theater and use the Lyngdorf processors in customer’s systems regularly.

Are you bi-amping the Paragon or using the lower outputs for subs?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I have always wanted to play with one. The Lyngdorf Room Perfect system that is the heart of the MEN220 is great at integrating subwoofers into a system and can eliminate low frequency room problems. I am very familiar with Room Perfect. I have it in my Lyngdorf processor in my home theater and use the Lyngdorf processors in customer’s systems regularly.

Widget
    THe Paragon is all on the original spec crossovers from JBL. I just forget each crossover number. But the same unit s JBL used. I do cheat a bit and use a 15 inch separately powered sub as well for this. The paragon doesn't go very low. We use for TV and movie sound too. so needed some kinda sub. The sub has it's own plate amp for it's power. I do use a Paradigm volume and phaze shift box on the sub. With cutoff dial as well. X30 model. Gives some nice control over the sub.
    Name:  347550-a7e2da6b-paradigm_x30_subwoofer_control_unit.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  124.2 KB

Widget
    The odd part is you kinda set and forget the room corrector of course. Once setup unless you move stuff around or change the room somehow it doesn't rely need tampered with again. Yes I love the thing. Stupid money though.
    IMO it's the icing on the cake for any serious system and you really don't know if you have it right with out one. Ya can think you do....but it knows better.....smart little thing it is . Way better at telling than me.

Sorry to continue this OT vein.

THe Paragon is all on the original spec crossovers from JBL. I just forget each crossover number. But the same unit s JBL used. I do cheat a bit and use a 15 inch separately powered sub as well for this. The paragon doesn't go very low. We use for TV and movie sound too. so needed some kinda sub. The sub has it's own plate amp for it's power. I do use a Paradigm volume and phaze shift box on the sub. With cutoff dial as well. X30 model. Gives some nice control over the sub.
    If I had a Paragon I would probably add a subwoofer too.

I’m confused about your setup though. Are you using a self powered subwoofer with the Paradigm X30 and the McIntosh MEN220?

Widget

If I had a Paragon I would probably add a subwoofer too.

I’m confused about your setup though. Are you using a self powered subwoofer with the Paradigm X30 and the McIntosh MEN220?

Widget
    Yes that's correct Mr Widget.

Yes that's correct My Widget.
    Hmmm... seems pretty unusual.

Widget

Hmmm... seems pretty unusual.

Widget
    My mistake no X30 in system. It's coming from the sub output of the MEM to the input of the sub the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    After starting this post I did end up buying an Xilica XP-4080. I ended up parting out these speakers and building a pair of 4345 clones. I used the Xilica with the 4345s for a bit, but running four amplifiers was a real pain. I then built a passive crossover for the 4345s and used a 2-way Bryston 10BLR.

My current set-up is a pair of M2 clones with a Crown DCI 4x2400N. I got rid of my pre-amp and DAC and just use a BSS BLU-USB connected to my amp with a Cat 6 cable, nice and simple. My Mac keyboard is the volume control and I have a Furman RS-2 remote control panel and MP-30 to turn on and off the amp. The amp is in my basement right below the speakers. It had really loud fans so I had to move it to a different space.

To sum it up I would never do a four way active system again.
    Just getting back to comment on your post.

Was it the inconvenience, complexity or difficulty with dialling in the rests with the four way set up?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Just getting back to comment on your post.

Was it the inconvenience, complexity or difficulty with dialling in the rests with the four way set up?

Ian
    It wasn't that difficult to set up, I think I had it sounding good. I just thought it wasn't worth the effort to turn on seven devices to listen for music for 30 minutes.

I got back in to audio about six years and the novelty of having a complex system is wearing off. I'm trying to simplify my life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    It wasn't that difficult to set up, I think I had it sounding good. I just thought it wasn't worth the effort to turn on seven devices to listen for music for 30 minutes.

I got back in to audio about six years and the novelty of having a complex system is wearing off. I'm trying to simplify my life in general.
    That's too funny. Sounds like my life. With the thirteen channels of amps I have you need a weekend to get it turned on. Too funny.
    Gotta love Mcintosh's little power cable system to turn on everything at once. I don't have that on my mains setup though. As I've only got one Mcintosh unit there.
    Actually I have most of them on a few power conditioners so it's a one button power up for most of the amps. But yes, after adding in the preamp and whatever else I need to turn on I need a nap.
    Luckily it's all dead quiet. The cables I've got is rather a lot. No noise though. Whew! It took me about 5 weeks to build it all and wire it. Endless trip back to my local pro-music shop for cables. I tried to buy the best ones I could afford. Seems to have worked out.

I think it depends if you like to tinker and play.

I personally can’t live without at least bi amping for that rocket fuelled visceral impact. A full passive system is the ultimate in simplicity but it’s like driving an underpowered Toyota Prado diesel towing a van into a headwind. 135 kw is no fun 🤩. In comparison my Nissan Patrol’s 300 kw HP 98 octane fire breathing direct injected 5.7L V8 with full time 4WD you experience everything happening instantaneously. No lag, no waiting to get past that shit box in front of you!

I might put the digital plate woofer amp on the rear panel of my wonderful but ancient 4345 clones.

That way l don’t need all those egg cup holders to keep the speaker cables off the floor…..Lol. Everything matters with Audio….Lol

Thread Information