Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hype or masterpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Too bad Wikipedia or others never mention the gear they used in those studios. These days, I'm more interested in that than anything else.
    It was a giant SSL in one studio and a Neve V3 in the other when they closed. One of my reps used to do the maintenance on them back in the late 80s early 90s

Being a noob, I should ask @Fritz The Cat if thread drift here is appropriate or I should start another thread?

For a taste, though - here's an amazing video of someone getting into the Neve room. In the control room, an Atari 24 track with 2" tape still on it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M

Thank you for the reply, the insight is very cool! I'll be sure to try and watch the video later. I had to research what an SSL and "Neve V3" is: https://vintageking.com/neve-v3-60-6...ion%20projects. Pretty cool, I've only seen consoles, never used one or watched one being used. Sooo many knobs and all of that. Notice the woofers in the background? Look to be JBL, with that bright edge. Monitors themselves look custom? Speaking of, would you happen to recall what monitors were used at Compass? What about amplifiers and such?

Good points on the thread jacking. Although if not for this thread, this discussion wouldn't exist.

Later stumbled upon this regarding the V3:
    "
    ...Besides the disasterous 81 series consoles, this is the worst sounding Neve desk. Very dark, very thick. No air. David Pope designed it after Rupert left. The reason for the "V" name is it was named after the head designer, DP. They couldn't call it the "Pope" for the real Vatican would not approve, so they shortened it to "V".

Now you know the "Rest of the Story".

Jim Williams
    Audio Upgrades
    "

Must have been a full time job keeping those consoles and tape machines running reliably that close to an ocean of salt water
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    It was a giant SSL in one studio and a Neve V3 in the other when they closed. One of my reps used to do the maintenance on them back in the late 80s early 90sBeing a noob, I should ask @Fritz The Cat if thread drift here is appropriate or I should start another thread?For a taste, though - here's an amazing video of someone getting into the Neve room. In the control room, an Atari 24 track with 2" tape still on it!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M

I was very amazed to see a Leslie sitting there right after he had switched the light on. And I'm scratching my head why no one takes notice of the whole gear and hauls it away.

Best regards!

B-52's, Same, 1979, WB USA, BSK 3355

Should we play this one loud or not? (as recommended on label?)
    When i bought this one in 1979 i was shocked. Too much rawness an weird sounds for my favorite sort of party music. The songs were made for a future generation.
    Also this one was produced at Compass Point Studios by Chris Blackwell. No Sly, no Robbie et al., unfortunately...
    Hype or masterpiece?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    When i bought this one in 1979 i was shocked. Too much rawness an weird sounds for my favorite sort of party music. The songs were made for a future generation.
    Also this one was produced at Compass Point Studios by Chris Blackwell. No Sly, no Robbie et al., unfortunately...
    Hype or masterpiece?
    I say Loud AND In Your Face

Right on. Rock Lobster and Planet Claire, "..She drove a Plymouth Satellite faster than the speed of light." At least one person in that band had to be a car person, MoPar at that, as that isn't the only MoPar reference they make.

Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band, Mirror Man, 1973, Buddah USA, BDS 5077, Sonic

Still not sure whether its junk or not after all these 50 years. Hypnotic vibe. Surely it is a drug related one, as this one was: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post421165
    What shall we do with such LPs TODAY?
    Drug abuse and vinyl abuse...

-= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Still prefer Bat Chain Puller ...
    Floppy Boot Stomp is a high point, as is Apes-ma ...

Still not sure whether its junk or not after all these 50 years. Hypnotic vibe. Surely it is a drug related one, as this one was: https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...l=1#post421165
    What shall we do with such LPs TODAY?
    Drug abuse and vinyl abuse...

Last edited by hjames; 06-05-2023 at 06:26 AM.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That budda is scary looking, like a cross between Ron Jeremy and the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.

Scary Buddah

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    That budda is scary looking, like a cross between Ron Jeremy and the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.
    OK, this one is for you. Good night!

A nineteen-minute tune. Hmm, smells like a jam band. I'll try and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    It was a giant SSL in one studio and a Neve V3 in the other when they closed. One of my reps used to do the maintenance on them back in the late 80s early 90sBeing a noob, I should ask @Fritz The Cat if thread drift here is appropriate or I should start another thread?For a taste, though - here's an amazing video of someone getting into the Neve room. In the control room, an Atari 24 track with 2" tape still on it!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jGbzIlE_M
    Such a shame that iconic studio is all but abandoned. Where's Dave Grohl when we need him?

Hype or masterpiece?
    In High School I started hanging out in our local Hi Fi store after I had saved up enough money for a decent system. I became friends with one of the salesmen who introduced me to a friend of his that had the first nig JBL's I'd heard - L300's. This guy was pretty dedicated to 1) listening to music, 2) getting and staying high, and 3) not working. To satisfy #3 he was living with his mom and sister.

This guy was a rock snob. No disco, no country, no pop, As for myself, good music is always good, and I don't care about the genre. He hated the B-52's, but his sister loved them. It was a hoot watching his mom scolding him to let his sister play this album in particular. To him it would have been a masterpiece... of torture. Me? I paid more attention to his sister, but alas I was a HS Junior and she was in her early 20's so the dice always came up snake eyes.

Those L300's made me a life long JBL fan, especially of their larger offerings.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    This guy was a rock snob. No disco, no country, no pop...
    Fully agreed. Didn't discover any good music in disco, country or pop yet !

Best regards!

Thread Information