Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rip-off

In my opinion the In Through the Out Door album is LZ's weakest one. Jimmy Page heavily was on heroin when it was recorded and produced, John Bonham was on booze, as always. So Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had to do the major work. I don't like that much synthesizers there, JPJ obviously was eager to play with his new toys, especially the Yamaha GX monster. The song All My Love from it even reminds me of German Schlagers.

According to Chris Welch, Page said about this song many years later: »That wasn't us!«. He was right.

Best regards!

Cheesy keyboards

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    In my opinion the In Through the Out Door album is LZ's weakest one. Jimmy Page heavily was on heroin when it was recorded and produced, John Bonham was on booze, as always. So Robert Plant and John Paul Jones had to do the major work. I don't like that much synthesizers there, JPJ obviously was eager to play with his new toys, especially the Yamaha GX monster. The song All My Love from it even reminds me of German Schlagers.

According to Chris Welch, Page said about this song many years later: »That wasn't us!«. He was right.

Best regards!

Agreed: too many cheesy keyboards after all these monster albums!
    What about "The Crunge" and "Dancing Days" from "Houses of the holy"? Fantastic drum solo intros and after that....cheesy keyboards.
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Well, both aren't that bad as All My Love. The Crunge is pure funk, featuring some synth, Dancing Days is quite a relaxed number featuring the Hohner Clavinet. I didn' want to say taht I don't like keys at all, but that dominant Yamaha GX on In Through.. isn't exactly what we expect from a testosterone powered cock rock band such as Led Zeppelin.

Best regards!

Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Rising Force, 1984, Polydor Holland, 825 324 1

"Icarus' Dream Suite Opus 4" (B1): the heirs of Tomaso Giovanni Albinoni (1671-1751) were very proudly obliged for the generous royalities they awarded in 1984 from maestro Malmsteen for his elaborate upgrading of Albinonis "Adagio".
    Joke aside, in fact there's not any faint note of credit on this album of furious etudes. Poor....
    (btw Albinoni died under humble circumstances)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

Flash, Same, 1972, Sovereign England, SVNA 7251

The Intro of "Dreams Of Heaven" by Progrock group "Flash" B1.
    Where did "Flash" borrow the idea for that kind of noisy intro like that?
    Tip: Engineer was Martin Birch
    Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRKLpK2WTzU

Colosseum, Those About To Die Salute You, 1969, Bronze Germany, 25857 ET

B1 "Beware The Ides Of March" is an (admittedly) neatly made version of "Whiter Shade of Pale" aka Air from Suite No.3 in D-Dur by Sebastian Bach. Funny, how Dick Heckstall-Smith tries to create variations with much impudence and some kind of humor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBzLC_ctjU
    Trotzdem: diese LP ist ein Meilenstein des Jazz-Rock!

I didn't see this one in here yet: David Bowie's "Fame" v James Brown's "Hot (I need to be Loved, Loved, Loved)"

Lyrically no similarity, but the grove and multiple guitar parts are identical and apparently Bowie was flattered by the rip-off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_(I..._Loved,_Loved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdgUVnfQ8k
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Fame/Hot

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    I didn't see this one in here yet: David Bowie's "Fame" v James Brown's "Hot (I need to be Loved, Loved, Loved)"

Lyrically no similarity, but the grove and multiple guitar parts are identical and apparently Bowie was flattered by the rip-off

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_(I..._Loved,_Loved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NdgUVnfQ8k
    A borderline case IMHO. The funk grooves of "Fame" and "I need to be loved" both are generic for thousands of Funk/Disco-productions. Its only the guitar riff - that's the same one. Carlos Alomar! I don't think that this is a common kind of rip-off. Can you own the copyright for a guitar sequence? Das ist komplizierteres Juristen-Futter!

Thread Information