Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does humor belong in music? (Frank Zappa 1986)

naw, we don't want no funny business in music. unless of course you're facing it.

The Tubes, T.R.A.S.H., 1981, AM Holland, AMLH 64870

The most multifaceted humorists of hard-rock? A persiflage of and homage to the producer of the "wall of sound": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzuRw0ZqQdU
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

The Rutles, Same, 1978, WB USA, HS 3151

The best Beatles-spoof by the Prefab Four: Dirk McQuickly, Ron Nasty, Stig O'Hara and Barry Wom. Great art work. Inside sleeve with fictional LP-advertisements of the fictional "Rutle" record label. Plus fanciful 16p. booklet. Delightful...
    -= { Creek Destiny | Reson Rota + MM-Ortofon| Epos Encore Speakers | Nessie Washing Machine }=-

You're right, man! I've got the very same album .

Best regards!

Yes it does belong.

I thankfully saw Frank Zappa in concert a few times and Frank put out some great music mixed with memorable lyrics.

Movin' to Montana soon
    Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon (yes I am)
    Movin' to Montana soon
    Gonna be a mennil-toss flykune

I'm pluckin' the ol'
    Dennil Floss
    That's growin' on the prairie
    Pluckin' the floss!
    I plucked all day an' all nite an' all
    Afternoon...

Yes, Frank Zappa not only was one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century, he also was a great, competent storyteller. Listen to the Don't Eat Yellow Snow suite from the follow-up album Apostrophe ('):

Watch out where the huskies go,
    don't you eat that yellow snow!

Best regards!

And your bird will laugh

What for heaven's sake would George Harrison and John Lennon might have inhaled during this session?

I agree that each genre should stay within its boundaries. This preserves its uniqueness. But still, music is not clowning. It is a strict discipline. You don't have to make a circus out of everything to entertain listeners. Hard-to-digest compositions make you listen carefully and analyze them. Draw your conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialeans View Post
    I agree that each genre should stay within its boundaries. This preserves its uniqueness. But still, music is not clowning. It is a strict discipline. You don't have to make a circus out of everything to entertain listeners. Hard-to-digest compositions make you listen carefully and analyze them. Draw your conclusions.
    I will tell Frank Zappa if i see him. Greetings from Switzerland. Fritz The Cat

I dunno - Frank is still dead last I heard ...
    His head's in Baltimore, MD,
    but he's not taking any requests ...

Name:  Zappa-BaltimoreMD.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  39.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz The Cat View Post
    I will tell Frank Zappa if i see him. Greetings from Switzerland. Fritz The Cat
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Dialeans View Post
    But still, music is not clowning. It is a strict discipline. You don't have to make a circus out of everything to entertain listeners.
    Well, now go and tell exactly this one to all those new-fashioned female artists that act like pole dancers but have meaningless voices and are singing also meaningless music.

Best regards!

Spencer Davis, Mousetrap, 1972, UA USA, 5580

Front cover photo by Norman Seef was not sponsored by "Swiss Emmentaler Cheese Union" because the piece of cheese shown is not premium quality. Back cover photo is not suitable for Swiss cheese promotion in USA.
    A little bit of Emmentaler advertising here: https://www.emmentaler.ch/wp-content...e_2992-lpr.jpg

The US-Album of Spencer Davis was recorded at The Record Plant, Los Angeles.
    The glass on front cover photo is empty, this record in contrast was filled extra rich by those studio cracks: Lee Sklar b, Jim Keltner dr, Larry Knechtel p, "Sweets" Harry Edison trp/fl horn, Sneaky Pete Kleinow steel g, Gib Gilbeaux fiddle.

PS: The best cheese sandwich? Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFW5kQQhm0

Does humor belong in music? You don't have to go very deep to answer this question. There are many different genres of music, each of which finds its listener. Some genres are legal, some are immediately blocked, and the creators may face jail or fines. It doesn't matter. What is important is that the number of musical tastes is enormous. Accordingly, if there is humor in a certain genre of music and people like it, why not? Many of the musicians have had the hardest road to recognition. And I wouldn't want to condemn them for that. It isn't easy. Now, of course, everything is easy in that respect because there is music marketing — for example, the same amworldgroup.com, where you can order advertising and become more popular. But the fact remains. It's still a lot of work. Let people listen to what they like. At the same time, let each musical genre stay within its boundaries and not go beyond them.

Elephants Memory, Angels Forever, 1974, RCA USA, APL1-0569

Humor or blasphemy? Would this kind of front cover art be "correct" today? Why not? A question of time?
    Cover design by Craig DeCamps (also cover art for Kinks' "Celluloid Heroes" or Jimmy Castor Bunch "Troglodyte" et al.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T1nEfxCuOU
    Listen to the jazzy "La Sopa" A5: a wonderful sax solo
    by Stan Bronstein, followed by a witty bass solo by Gary VanScyoc.
    These musicians were the backup band of John Lennon and Yoko Ono: tongue in cheek music...
    P.S.: It's not only rock'nroll, but i like it!

Jazz Sabbath, Vol.2, 2022, Blacklake UK, BL 411373

Delightful fairy tale. "In December 1969 Jazz Sabbath, London's most successful underground jazz trio, were recording their second album at Morgan Sound Studios. With their debut album scheduled to be released in February 1970 and their sophomore album well on its way, Jazz Sabbaths future was looking bright...." (Liner notes you have to take seriously)
    Adam Wakeman and his congenial Jazz rogues (only mentioned by fictional names). Listen to the fantastic guitar solos!
    Listen to B3 N.I.B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGmUnZ_G_Zw

Thread Information