Thread: 4411 or 4430/4425 for recording/mixing ?

4411 or 4430/4425 for recording/mixing ?

Hi all--I'm a producer/engineer, and after many years of buying and ditching many monitors (genelec, tannoy, yamaha, etc.), i was finally turned on to the greatness of vintage JBL by an older engineer. I bought a pair of 4311's and magically, all of my mixes sounded like my favorite records.

With that said, I'd like more accuracy in the top end, and I'm trying to decide between upgrading to 4411's or 4430's/or the smaller 4425's.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. . .

Of course you know there are forums where there are more people in your line of work, which I am not, but I happen to have some monitor type speakers. The 4313b, which I do not have, is generally considered the most accurate of the classic JBL monitors. A monitor still supported by JBL would be the LSR6332. I've used the earlier LSR32; there's a lot to be said for that long midrange. There is a recent line of small JBL monitors, post M2 (JBL's latest effort-- you probably should hear it), which use some of that technology; maybe you should check those out. The Tannoy/Manley 10 inch time aligned coaxial offers precise imaging at near field distances. Is that the Tannoy you've tried? The Super Gold 10b on which it is based is not as good. The Manley/Mastering Lab mod matters. Rare and pricey when they pop up, though.

It's interesting to me that you say your mixes on the 4311 sound like your favorite records. Do you mean they may have been mastered on that monitor? I've heard things like that said and wondered if that really should/does make a difference.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Of course you know there are forums where there are more people in your line of work, which I am not, but I happen to have some monitor type speakers. The 4313b, which I do not have, is generally considered the most accurate of the classic JBL monitors. A monitor still supported by JBL would be the LSR6332. I've used the earlier LSR32; there's a lot to be said for that long midrange. There is a recent line of small JBL monitors, post M2 (JBL's latest effort-- you probably should hear it), which use some of that technology; maybe you should check those out. The Tannoy/Manley 10 inch time aligned coaxial offers precise imaging at near field distances. Is that the Tannoy you've tried? The Super Gold 10b on which it is based is not as good. The Manley/Mastering Lab mod matters. Rare and pricey when they pop up, though.

It's interesting to me that you say your mixes on the 4311 sound like your favorite records. Do you mean they may have been mastered on that monitor? I've heard things like that said and wondered if that really should/does make a difference.

Yes almost all of what people consider to be 'classic records' were recorded/mixed on these monitors. The 4311's and 4312's were all but ubiquitous in studios before the "Great Yamaha NS10 Heresy" of the late 80's. I do realize that there are pro-audio forums elsewhere, but again, I've been through all of the monitors suggested there, and mixing on my 4311's is comparatively effortless and the mixes ALWAYS translate everywhere. I'm actually quite happy to stick with them, but there are limitations to the tweeter that weren't needed in the age of analog tape. . . So I'm looking to upgrade and yet retain the JBL sound. (btw: the Tannoys I have are the Ellipse 8's, and they're currently being used as my son's computer speakers. . .)

I own and use 4411’s, 4430’s and 4345’s.
    To my ears, the 4411 sounds like a miniature 4430. Neither, to me have a detailed high frequency response, compared to a four way with 2405’s.

All are fantastic but have their own strengths and weaknesses.

i haven’t heard 4311’s for a long time, but I would expect most would prefer the 4411. It’s a well engineered and more modern system in a compact package with very good imaging capabilities in the near field.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Neither, to me have a detailed high frequency response, compared to a four way with 2405’s.

Like a 4315? If so, I've been considering those as well. Big jump in price though. . .Decisions, decisions. . .

Quote Originally Posted by tpipes View Post
    Hi all--I'm a producer/engineer, and after many years of buying and ditching many monitors (genelec, tannoy, yamaha, etc.), i was finally turned on to the greatness of vintage JBL by an older engineer. I bought a pair of 4311's and magically, all of my mixes sounded like my favorite records.

With that said, I'd like more accuracy in the top end, and I'm trying to decide between upgrading to 4411's or 4430's/or the smaller 4425's.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. . .
    This seems like a pretty tough question to answer for a variety of reasons.

The 4311 was designed to mimic the voicing of the typical Altec studio monitor of the day. The voicing of the other vintage JBL systems may not match up with expectations for something similar to the 4311.

The systems that you list or some may recommend are not generally available and, if so, at a price that is reasonable. Also, any model you find will be in an uncertain state of condition and subject to trust in same with the seller.

The systems of that era have components subject to states of wear or deterioration that cannot be serviced with new parts.

Ironically, the one system that is far more common to find with components in a serviceable state is the 4311, or its successors.

Music Direct recently offered some of the retro models JBL produces that may have some commonality to the sound of the legacy models but I cannot verify that. Haven't heard them so perhaps others have some experience to share.

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search/b...oducts&c2=grid
    David F
    San Jose

There are two factors:

1 What are you recording?
    2 What are your biases?

If you are looking for a reasonably priced vintage monitor that is pretty accurate you might consider the 4410 or 4412. If you like the sound of the 4310/4311, you may not like the more neutral 4410/12.
    If you are looking for accuracy, the LSR 6332 is phenominal, Again you may not like the sound of them, and may even find them dull. It all comes down an what you are looking for.

Have fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information