Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncertain which monitor I bought

Uncertain which monitor I bought

I bought a pair of monitors on the cheap. They seem to be all JBL original. The enclosure is a 4502wx (yep, it was covered in black arborite!!!). The woofer is a 2215, badly redone with a weird huge black pseudo cap! there is a 2405 tweeter and the mid is the expected horn but with a 2440 driver.

My guess is most likely 4320, late model. I am wondering if the 2440 can be original or was a replacement?

My understanding was that nothing was really standard at the time at JBL

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mbWpPBlsUfVBloag1

Quote Originally Posted by jfpare View Post
    I bought a pair of monitors on the cheap. They seem to be all JBL original. The enclosure is a 4502wx (yep, it was covered in black arborite!!!). The woofer is a 2215, badly redone with a weird huge black pseudo cap! there is a 2405 tweeter and the mid is the expected horn but with a 2440 driver.

My guess is most likely 4320, late model. I am wondering if the 2440 can be original or was a replacement?

No pics no truth
    46 lover

pictures are there!

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    No pics no truth
    Yes, picture are in the google link. Just did not find any other way to include them

Assuming the 2440 is on the short 2311 horn I would say that overall you have done well. The photography is not very clear, so some questions remain. They are probably correct, but what model are the crossovers?

Aside from some cleaning up and checking performance (and originality) of the mid and hf diaphragms the remaining question I see is the woofer cone. If the woofer has been reconed with a diaphragm and voice coil as bogus as the surround and cap, that's a real problem because the correct cone kit for the LE15A/2215 is no longer available. My hunch is, though, that the incorrect surround has been installed using shims to keep the voice coil centered-- thus the cap removal and replacement. If so the voice coil and cone may be correct. You might be able to get confirmation of that here with clear closeup photographs of the front and back of the cone including any white printed or chalked numbers and dates.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Yes, picture are in the google link. Just did not find any other way to include them
    Please make your pics as attachments directly,i can not open your link
    46 lover

Pretty sure you can't attach images on your first outting to this site ...
    make a couple more conversational posts and maybe by post #6 you'll be able to upload images ...

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    Please make your pics as attachments directly,i can not open your link
    I can see them fine. You mean you don't have free-and-open Internet in China like we have here in . . . oh wait—we don't have free-and-open Internet anymore, either!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    oh wait—we don't have free-and-open Internet anymore, either!
    True

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Assuming the 2440 is on the short 2311 horn I would say that overall you have done well. The photography is not very clear, so some questions remain. They are probably correct, but what model are the crossovers?

Aside from some cleaning up and checking performance (and originality) of the mid and hf diaphragms the remaining question I see is the woofer cone. If the woofer has been reconed with a diaphragm and voice coil as bogus as the surround and cap, that's a real problem because the correct cone kit for the LE15A/2215 is no longer available. My hunch is, though, that the incorrect surround has been installed using shims to keep the voice coil centered-- thus the cap removal and replacement. If so the voice coil and cone may be correct. You might be able to get confirmation of that here with clear closeup photographs of the front and back of the cone including any white printed or chalked numbers and dates.
    Hi, I have added a few more pictures. The sad woofer history might be clearer!

Here is the information I gathered...

Enclosure 4502wx

Crossovers
    #11552, #11545

#5889, #5924

Woofers 2215b - 16 ohms
    Worked on July 1991
    No chalk markings or numbers of any kind on back of cones (signs of glue of previous suspension )
    Dustcap missing
    Suspension glued OVER cones

Mid 2440 - 16 ohms

Horns 2307

Lenses 2308

Tweeter 2405 - 16 ohms
    #16033, #16065

The 2440 doesn't mount on the 2307. Is there an adapter in there mounted backwards?

The 2440 doesn't mount on the 2307. Is there an adapter in there mounted backwards?
    Hi Dave, as you'll see in the additional pictures, aside from close-up of the woofers, there is a 2440 mounted on the 2307, no adapter

thanks

Hi Dave, as you'll see in the additional pictures, aside from close-up of the woofers, there is a 2440 mounted on the 2307, no adapter

thanks
    I've been hoping it is actually a 2420 or 2421, because then you wouldn't need to go find a correct horn or driver. I can't make out the model number in that photo, but what i'm seeing could be 2420. A straight on photo will clear that up no question. Also, the 2307/H91 horn was rated by JBL as loading low enough to be crossed in at 1200Hz. There may have been mistakes in some catalogues, like the '76 Components. The 3110 is an 800Hz crossover and should be paired wth the 2312/H92 horn and 2308 lens combo. Things may have been done at the local dealer that were not best practice.

We're gathering folks and eating well down here today. Hope you the same.

I've been hoping it is actually a 2420 or 2421, because then you wouldn't need to go find a correct horn or driver. I can't make out the model number in that photo, but what i'm seeing could be 2420. A straight on photo will clear that up no question. Also, the 2307/H91 horn was rated by JBL as loading low enough to be crossed in at 1200Hz. There may have been mistakes in some catalogues, like the '76 Components. The 3110 is an 800Hz crossover and should be paired wth the 2312/H92 horn and 2308 lens combo. Things may have been done at the local dealer that were not best practice.

We're gathering folks and eating well down here today. Hope you the same.
    Hi Dave, hope you had a great family gathering. It was good here!
    I was expecting a 2420 but found a 2440. The 2307 horn was initially spec'ed at 800 and was the standard model in the 4320/4325. The 2312 was later a standard issue in the 4330/4333. The first three way 4320 S8 had the 2402 bullet. My biggest worry at the moment the woofer. What do you think? I added a couple of close shot. The standard dust cap was effectively removed, the surround wrongly installed and there is no markings whatsoever on the rear of the cone.

The cone looks original to me. It looks like someone re-foamed it and removed the dust cap to shim the voice coil. Then they replaced the dust cap with a larger one. You can still see the glue where the original dust cap was. Too bad they went to all of that trouble, then put the foam on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    The cone looks original to me. It looks like someone re-foamed it and removed the dust cap to shim the voice coil. Then they replaced the dust cap with a larger one. You can still see the glue where the original dust cap was. Too bad they went to all of that trouble, then put the foam on the front.
    Are the original surround and dust cap still available? If not, the internet is flooded with options, who is serious in this business?

Thanks

Thread Information