Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: TAD 2404 Build

The better way is to run a small signal sine wave and check the minimum real motion of the woofer cone at Fb once you have the approximate port length

A number of factors can influence the Fb in reality

(The density and amount of Fill, QL losses - leaks, port air turbulence and location to boundaries
    I would then confirm the bass subjectivity in your room

Subtle adjustment of the port output can modify the response to compensate for room placement

The online simulator uses assumption

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    The better way is to run a small signal sine wave and check the minimum real motion of the woofer cone at Fb once you have the approximate port length
    Thatīs a very convenient way to do it without the need for measuring equipment, thank you
    But I canīt do this on a sunday evening, my neighbours would kill me...

Quote Originally Posted by dn92 View Post
    In case this can be usefull for someone (At least for Dr dB):
    Indeed, thanks a lot!

Keep the TADs, otherwise you'll regret.

Why is it impossible to sell the S9900 ? Should be easier, anyone knows (even my kids know JBL, isn't it the name of a small bluetooth cube playing the music from phones) the brand name JBL.
    K2-S9900 are not small bluetooth for kits
    My S9900 are custom build not original, but I think at they are also great like the TADīs
    there is possible at I will use the with my 476Be and go active, K2-S9900 are very well build speaker they look also great

I have bought two new diaphragms for my Td-4003 driver so I hope at my TAD Exclusive 2404 will be ready very soon

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    here are the answers from the seller GT-sound http://www.gt-sound.com/

HI Ari Oskarsson

Is it alright for a while, how are you?

Did you finish the Speaker box?

TD-4003

① DC-7, 5 Ω is normal value.
    AC measurement will result in 12 to 13 Ω.

② I checked the sound at the time of shipping, but there was no
    abnormality.

We opened the back chamber of DRIVER UNIT of TAD, GTS, and diaphragm
    I will not remove it.

1. It does not have jigs that make precise height adjustment when
    setting again. I have a TAD service.

2. The material of the diaphragm is beryllium and it seems there is a
    danger to the human body.

Best regards
    K.Goto

I am 100% sure he did not opened the back cap
    Only if you breathe particles in the air, or get a splinter in the skin and not remove it.
    Unlikely conditions when inspecting or replacing a driver diaphram.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

If interest:

Exclusive DN-2404 LF crossover is a 36dB/oct, a bit (not so much) different from TAD TN-2 (to compensate a different delay from the compression driver that chould be lower than for TH-4001/TD-4001). HF crossover is of 12dB/oct, followed by an autotransformer, providing three levels positions from -1dB to +1dB. There is no EQ, which is quite logic from TH-4003/TD-4003 measurement graphic available somewhere on this forum, where the raw frequency response is already correct). A very simple HF network compared to TN-1/TN-2/TN-3.
    This can be easily reproduced within an active crossover. If richluvsound or Ari send me impedance measurement files (.zma) I could simulate the frequency responses of the electric filters, the most difficult part to simulate being the autotransformer.

On DN-2404, the three cylinders on the right are coils of the LF filter, long rectangle contains all capacitors of the LF filter, on the left bottom rectangle box contains HF filter capacitor, the cylinder is the coil of HF flter, and remaining rectangle box the auto transformer. There are two resistor that are located elsewhere in the network plate.

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    K2-S9900 are not small bluetooth for kits
    My S9900 are custom build not original, but I think at they are also great like the TADīs
    there is possible at I will use the with my 476Be and go active, K2-S9900 are very well build speaker they look also great

I have bought two new diaphragms for my Td-4003 driver so I hope at my TAD Exclusive 2404 will be ready very soon
    I had the opportunity to listen to K2 S9900 last November and I agree that there are great loudspeakers. The best I listened during this hifi show in Paris.The best might be anyway to do a comparison side by side with 2404.

My choice

I had the opportunity to listen to K2 S9900 last November and I agree that there are great loudspeakers. The best I listened during this hifi show in Paris.The best might be anyway to do a comparison side by side with 2404.

Ive not heard the 9900 but I've heard the Everest - I'd stay with the 2404 .... Infact , having built this pair , I'll be building another pair for myself . The way the 4003 does Piano is worth the money in itself .

R

And also guitar, chords in general, female voices ... considering that 4003 is an improvement from my 4001s.
    I didn'nt want to critisise JBL especially in this forum (not to be bannished ) but I found my 2402 better than the K2 S9900 I listened (of course not in the same conditions).

To put things in perspective, once precisely EQed to the exact same target I was not able to tell apart a TD4003 and 2450SL-Be on the same horn.
    I guess the same would have been true for a 476Mg or 476Be.
    Of course YMMV, and a passive system is a different story where the superior smoothness of the TD4003 can be a definitive advantage...

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    I'd stay with the 2404 .... Infact , having built this pair , I'll be building another pair for myself . The way the 4003 does Piano is worth the money in itself.
    Agreed on the piano comment.

Do you think you'll be able to find a pair of TL-1601Cs and TH-4003s? Both of those are so rare. It's likely easier to find factory systems out in the wild than the raw components.

On The JBL/TAD comparison. I've done my share of comparing. They are all pretty special. I think they each have their place and the right choice depends on the room, associated equipment, personal preference,

Widget

To find TD-4003 and TL-1601c is possible, there is almost one available on the market each two years. TH-4003 is more difficult. I've seen clones on Internet but I've no idea how conforming to the original they are. As T/S parameters are close, one can also start with 1601a waiting for two 1601c to be available. But the piece to get before starting is the horn. And even more difficult to find than the horns are the crossovers, but for them, the schematic is available and they can be replaced by an active crossover.

To find TD-4003 and TL-1601c is possible, there is almost one available on the market each two years. TH-4003 is more difficult. I've seen clones on Internet but I've no idea how conforming to the original they are. As T/S parameters are close, one can also start with 1601a waiting for an 1601c to be available. But the piece to get before starting is the horn. And even more difficult to find than the horns are the crossovers, but for them, the schematic is available and they can be replaced by an active crossover.

If you know where the schematic is ..... ? the horn is easy , and 4003 is ok if the money isn't an issue . The 1601C is more difficult to find ,but I'm a not adverse to using the 1601A rather than get stuck .

Pos also has a point , not being one for bragging rights and snobbery , 2450SL BE 9 ( on the th 4003 ? ) -1601A is not unacceptable .

I'll not buy used 4003 though ,unless the price makes new diaphragms worthwhile . I think we know that story .
    Again , the Everest is a great speaker ,but not for my room .

I'm not rushing out to buy the parts , but its a project to complete for my 60th - 4 years .

In the meantime you still have your current speakers to enjoy
    You could also upgrade their components (change the 2435 for some 2450SL-Be, or the ME150H for 2216nd or 1500AL...) and/or go active.

True ...

The system has changed a lot since you were here Pos .

I have the 1500AL , new passive networks . Thats why I'm thinking a new speaker .... I would cost the about the same .

Active is not a cheap up-grade either ....

But Im open to ideas ?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    If you know where the schematic is ..... ? the horn is easy , and 4003 is ok if the money isn't an issue . The 1601C is more difficult to find ,but I'm a not adverse to using the 1601A rather than get stuck .

Pos also has a point , not being one for bragging rights and snobbery , 2450SL BE 9 ( on the th 4003 ? ) -1601A is not unacceptable .

I'll not buy used 4003 though ,unless the price makes new diaphragms worthwhile . I think we know that story .
    Again , the Everest is a great speaker ,but not for my room .

I'm not rushing out to buy the parts , but its a project to complete for my 60th - 4 years .
    I got few time ago the service manual of the DN-2404 (I had to pay for it on one of these bandits manuals web sites, where they are saling documents that do not belongs to them), I can't share it directly here for obvious copyright reasons, but even if I had to give money for it, I can share the schematic (for free of course, PM to me).

There is also the Exclusive 2404 service manual on this web site I found, but I did't get it ($20 each manual). Let me first find where it was on Internet (and if it is still existing).

Note: The web site for this manual is still there. In order not to do public advertisement for it, I prefer to give the link through PM/email.

TH-4003 seems specific to TD-4003, not sure a rapid flare 1.5" would go directly into it. pos what do you think about as you have experience with TD-4003 ?
    But TAD TH-4371 made for TAD PA loudspeakers seems to have a similar design, asymetric in vertical, providing a response that doesn't require EQ, and was made for rapid flare version of TD-4002 (a.k.a TD-4002Z, the same but witout 1.5 to 2" adaptor).

Thread Information