Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
Hope you are being facetious ?

It doesn't have to be "either or" , both co-exist in a system very well . I'm not going to advocate for either side. They both have pluses and minus's .

Had gotten tired of CD and veered back the LP direction until I obtained a player with an outstanding DAC and then things shifted again.

Using vinyl records as the representative for analog I think is misleading. NEARLY all analog has emanated from tape. Maybe we should be comparing digi to tape*, not records ?

From my experience, a well recorded 15ips (or 7.50) can well rival digital. Much great sounding digi was created in the AAD stream . Now I'm seeing an increasing amount of DAD stream , meaning the mix was done analog.

*R2R , not 8T or cassette
I tend to agree with everything here. I, too, have listened to great DAD CDs. The limiting factor for analog tape is saturation. It can only tolerate so much signal until it's overloaded to distortion...and the best analog recordings are done at 30ips to better the signal to noise ratio. 30ips make for an enormous amount of tape to burn through.

One last thought. The relatively recent advent of artists like Jimmy Page going back to the catalogue to digitally remix and remaster the original recordings from 2" tape masters, uncovers lots of tiny details that never made it to the original vinyl pressings. John Bonham's squeaky kick drum pedal is an example. Another is the reed noise of Sonny Rollins' saxophone. Great stuff to be able to hear like you're in the room with them.