Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My JBL 4355 Homecinema Soundbar build

Thanks for your kind words! Actually, it is not a big thing (although it is kind of huge...). However, it is a lot smaller than three 4355...

Maybe some explanations how it works:

• There are three mid-high channels (left-center-right) based on the 4355 (driver and passive crossover).They act like satellite speakers.
    • There is one subwoofer channel comprising the two 2245. They replace the 2235 of the 4355.
    • Everything is combined in one cabinet. Therefore I called it "soundbar": It is kind of a "3.2 System" (left-center-right + two subwoofers).
    • The active crossover/bass management is currently handled by a simple AV Receiver (actually a Pioneer SC-2022 - they claim to have good and stable class-d amps included).
    • The crossover is around 100/120 Hz. The 2202 are corrected via DSP because their SPL already drops from around 250 Hz downwards.

Going forward, I consider to replace the digital bass management by an active crossover to have a real analog signal chain from the turntable to the speaker. But it is kind of tricky to combine the two channel stereo or 2.1-world with the 5.1 or 7.1 world.

And no, it can not be moved around but that was never the intention. My open baffle speakers had to stay about 1m away from the back wall. It was always lost and dusty space behind the speakers and a lot of cables laid around. The idea was to have a speaker like a cupboard which fits nicely against the back wall.

Actually, I do not have plots. Originally I planned a more sophisticated internal bracing like a matrix. But the test enclosure is much simpler. The midwoofer enclosures are the only bracings. A good thing is, that the heavy 2440/2441 drivers can be placed on the midwoofer enclosures. And there is a simple lath attached to the back and top wall. If you look through a 2245-hole you can see the lath, the midwoofer-enclosures left and right and the small boards on top of them which are the stands for the 2440/2441:

Name:  03_Gehäuse Dämmung Jute Hanf Matten 2.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  233.5 KB

I hope that helps.

Stefan

Cool project.

My concern would be that the L/R are pretty close leading to a loss of separation. Also, the cabinet looks a bit small for all that's going on in there.

Quote Originally Posted by music2u View Post
    Thanks for watching. I hope you enjoyed it... Stefan
    Wow! What a huge project..... If we enjoyed it, your kidding
    I liked your 2 x 2245ś, that is a huge difference compared to the "small" 2235ś
    But Im not so impressed about your bracings in such a huge cabinet. Many large areas that can vibrate
    But as you said, it was a test cabinet and then it can go for that......
    Flodstroem

Thanks for your concerns and recommendations.

toddalin
    My concern would be that the L/R are pretty close leading to a loss of separation. Also, the cabinet looks a bit small for all that's going on in there.
    My previous speakers were at the same position. About 2m apart from each other and my listening position is about 3m away. You may be right but there is no more space anyhow. For music it is fine.For homecinema I would like to have the speakers closer to the side walls. However, I tried two 2445 with other horns in separate cabinets at about the same position but toed in and I think that was good idea (and for a number of other reasons they sounded so much better than the combination 2440/Radian/2311). I consider to give the final enclosure a "curved" baffle wall. But this will not be an easy woodwork...

The internal net volume (without the midwoofer cabinets and the volume displaced by the drivers) is about 24 cu ft (two times 12 cu ft like proposed in the subwoofer paper for the 2245 documented in the forum-library). I have done impendance measurements: The 2245 are tuned to about 22-24 Hz.

Flodstroem
    But Im not so impressed about your bracings in such a huge cabinet. Many large areas that can vibrate
    But as you said, it was a test cabinet and then it can go for that....
    The midwoofer cabinets work quite good as bracings for the front, back and side wall. But there were clearly resonances at the top. That is why I included the lathes later. But you are absolutely right: The final enclosure will definitely have a "matrix bracing".

Amazing! Thank you for documenting your project!

Awesome! Classic German engineering.

Great Job!!!

Convert them into a kind of 2.1 or 3.0

I Mean, 2245+2202+2441+2405 --> Left and Right Channel

2202+2441+2405 --> Center Channel in "Small" configuration (it cuts High pass up to 100hz)

In this case you can run a great Electronic crossover for the stereo channel, and have a wonderfull stereo experience.

in case of Movie, you have available also the center channel, to be ecluded in stereo mode.

Use the AV amp for the center, and use 2 quality amplifiers for the stereo (maybe a nice Class D for the 2245 and a Nice tube amp for the Midhigh).

I was a fan of Home theater, since I'm using 2 JBL4355, I dismounted everything and I'm watching movies in 2.0. TOP!

Very innovative and unique build! Thanks for sharing. When I saw soundbar and 4355 in the title I was intrigued and knew it would be something great.

This thread is awesome.

If it is called 4355 it is always big in a certain way... ;-)

@berga12: Thanks for the compliment which I am pleased to return. I saw your built in the other thread. Great craftsmanship! And you nailed it: I plan to run L+R as "large" and have an "analog" active x-over and class a or tube amps. But then I would also like to have the DSP (in the AVR) completely out of the phono signal chain. I have to figure out a good and comfortable way to switch the sources and the bass management. BTW: I use also Hypex UCD 400 for the bass. But this is second priority.

First priority is to finish the speaker. Actually, the 2445 with a diffraction type horn (I don't know what it is) sound much better than the 2440/Radian/2311 combo. I have not yet figured out, whether the driver, the diaphragma or the horn is primarily responsible for the clearly audible difference.

So, what is the best mid-horn combo for 4355 (if we stay with vintage gear)? From reading differents posts, maybe 2446 + Beryllium + Yuichi horn?

Thanks to you too!!!

I turned completely analog, so removed AVR DSP, you can also put a swich and use the AVR pre-out for Audio-video purpose, and Keep 100% analog for 2ch and Vinyl listening.

with this system, a Fanless PC with "KODI", I'm very happy, with those huge system you can enjoy the Movie dynamics and effects in any case, also on DTS movie, this is my personal experience.

For the horn IMHO you have to make some distinguish, if you want to follow the monitor project you have to keep 2311 and filter between 1,2 and 10Khz....but if you run bigger horn like JBL 2350,Yuichi, IWATA, then you have to cut down to 400-500hz, changing completely the crossover point and speaker response.

I've no experience with Berylium diaphagram on 2441 or 2440 and no experience with 2445. Just consider some fact:
    - 2440-2441 are Alnico
    - 2445 are Ferrite
    - Berylium is tipically used on TAD drivers (both alnico and ferrite) and does it sound much brilliant than Aluminum diaphagram (for my listening experience).

Have you Re-magnetized 2440-2441? In the past those drivers where used under the sun light, with large amount of power,many of them have lost much of the Magnetization, resulting with not original sound....

check this first.

Ofcourse you are free to put a bigger horn on the top of your cabinet to lower the driver crossover point.

ciao
    Luca

Very cool

Nice work- good effort on the "test" enclosure, while the material/thickness/bracing are lacking for a final build, your build skill sure isn't! I do think a wider enclosure for a little more separation might be worthwhile if you can make it work, and perhaps a little shorter so it's not quite so close to the display.

Which (JBL?) horn is it?

Thanks for your kind words. I always wanted the speaker higher and the screen lower.... The sound is predominantely generated by the 2440/2441. I think they have to be at least at ear level. It's always a compromise.

@Luca: Yes, I had the 2440/2441 remagnetized. I do also enjoy the dynamics in movies and the bass that the two 2245 can generate. The dynamics in music are more and more compressed (aka "loudness war") and I am sometimes surprised when there is music in the background of a film.

Actually, the x-mas tree is gone and there is again time and space for experiments. I tried the other horn again with 2445 and they sound better (but it may also be the different dia's). Does anyone know which horn this is? It has a diffraction slot and a JBL badge but who knows. It is about 25 cm wide and 28 cm high.

Name:  JBL Diffraction Horn.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  174.0 KB

Wow that is a spectacular build. Really something to be proud of.

Yeah I can't take my eyes of your crossovers great build

Thread Information