Thread: Bought My First JBL's

Bought My First JBL's

OK this is the first pair of JBL I have owned, although I got to listen to a friends classic pair of L 300's. Heard other various JBL over the years, but never under great conditions or in systems I knew.

Well I went to the used market, came up with a pair of 1400 ARRAY and were going to buy them. But didn't care for the seller, and got cold feet. During my searches I came across a pair of 4365 for a price I could just afford. Well I weighed my options, their condition, and my financial resources, and bought them.

Yes, they are unheard. Now I love higher efficiency speakers, owned them for years. I enjoy horns and their ability to provide dynamic shading and contrast.

But I come across conflicting information regarding the 4365 and the 1400 ARRAY. The former is supposed to be better built, use higher quality drivers, and are more dynamic. Yet I read that the 1400 ARRAY is superior in imaging. Which honestly concerns me a bit, as I do value imaging. I like the layering of a sound stage, location of instruments, and the 3D presentation.

So is the 4365 really bad in this regards. Or is the 1400 ARRAY just exceptional? Or how much of a difference is there?

Total junk - sell them to me!

Welcome to the forum.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I have absolutly no problems with image from my 4365. I have not heard the Arrays so can't compare here.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonknight View Post
    So is the 4365 really bad in this regards.
    No.

Or is the 1400 ARRAY just exceptional?
    Yes.

Or how much of a difference is there?
    Hard to quantify and likely depends on the source and associated equipment, the room and set up, and how you listen to your system.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    No.

Yes.

Hard to quantify and likely depends on the source and associated equipment, the room and set up, and how you listen to your system.

Widget
    Thanks for the answer, its a bit hard to chase down information on the 4365 it seems. Of course there are threads here, but it seems most owners are more interested in their sound in terms of bass, impact, projection of sound and energy. Very little discussion of speaker location, sound staging, layering, and subtle detail. Which is what interests me, a contemplate and introspective presentation. I figured this was an upper tier driver and horn combo from JBL, and since they have been doing this for a long time....and doing it well....that it should be a very capable speaker.

Room dimensions are 15' by19' by 8'. Speakers will have the front baffles 4' off the front wall, and listening spot can be between 9 and 11'.

haven't decided on electronics, I currently use a SET amp on a co-ax, and a Proceed AMP 2 on the bass drivers. I do have a DEQX for level controls, room measurement, parametric EQ, and time alignment(don't really use it that way) I could run the SET on the horns, and the Proceed on the woofer. The DEQX functions as a pre-amp, and source is DAC/transport or vinyl. Room treatments ordered, but will adjust it once I get some measurements done.

Welcome to Lansing!

4365 short story, one thing I haven't mentioned on any forum that I thought was very cool.

After the INFOCOMM show this summer I had a couple of friends one of which is a true titan in the loudspeaker industry and his right hand man in my home for the evening. After dinner and an hour or so of chatter with the 4365's running softly in the background, I asked as they were ready to leave if they wanted to, for any reason if only for comparative fun, hear anything on the JBL's. The response was "just turn them up!"

In an instant "the man" said "wow! Listen to that crossover! That sounds like a single speaker! They stayed nearly another hour exploring the 4365's playing their music from their phones. Pretty cool.

Neon I can tell you with absolute certainty, if the 4365 was not a really really good speaker, those show weary guys would not have stayed, even for two cuts, even just to be nice.

Without a doubt, there is no single speaker that will satisfy everyone, but you are buying a superb speaker.

I hope you like them as much as I do.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information