Thread: Altec Lansing model Seven series 2... Any Good?

Altec Lansing model Seven series 2... Any Good?

I've come across a pair of Altec Lansing model 7 Series 2 for $30 in good shape they appear to have all the original drivers. I have JBL 4311b , L50, L 20t. I read somewhere that this was there answer to the L100. But its hard to find any info on these speakers..I've read several places that they have 10 inch woofers but the original products specs said they were 12 inch woofers. I was wondering if any of you have any information on this product any information about the model 7 Series 2 information would be very much appreciated. I've posted a picture one of the speakers... Do they look original? I also posted the original spec sheet of these series 2 speakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by gtmcmillanjr View Post
    I've come across a pair of Altec Lansing model 7 Series 2 for $30 in good shape they appear to have all the original drivers. I have JBL 4311b , L50, L 20t. I read somewhere that this was there answer to the L100. But its hard to find any info on these speakers..I've read several places that they have 10 inch woofers but the original products specs said they were 12 inch woofers. I was wondering if any of you have any information on this product any information about the model 7 Series 2 information would be very much appreciated. I've posted a picture one of the speakers... Do they look original? I also posted the original spec sheet of these series 2 speakers.
    They're not the Altec Lansing's folks on this forum get excited about, which is reflected in their current value. For $30 I would probably grab them. They look original to me, and the woofer and mid look like they have been refoamed, albeit by an amateur. BTW, multiple threads on the same subject won't win you any friends around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just a cursory glance and it's obvious that this is where Altec was well on the road south. Not even close to the build quality of the L100. But for 30 bucks? Why not.
    This is what happens when the parent company doesn't give a damn about the product, or perhaps "investing in your pipe line".
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Altec Lansing 7's

Every bit as well built as L 100's.
    I own a pair plus 4311's, L100's,and L 50,s.
    They are great sounding speakers.
    Sound better than Santana's.
    Had a pair of them but sold em'.

They really look like a product of the Spark-O-Matic years.

In 1992 the company decided to purchase Altec Lansing from Telex. Sparkomatic was widely considered low-end, K-Mart junk, so the acquisition of Altec Lansing gave Sparkomatic a jolt of new respect. In 1992 Altec Lansing moved to join Sparkomatic in Milford, Pennsylvania, and began building a new line of car and home loudspeakers.

The home loudspeakers had solid-walnut cabinets which were sourced locally in Pennsylvania. Altec Lansing was one of the only companies at the time to build its own cabinets and develop and build its own drive units, all under one roof.

In 2000 the Altec Lansing and Sparkomatic merger was completed under the Altec Lansing name, and they dropped the name Sparkomatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkomatic
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Last Activity11-07-2016 07:07 PM

Zombie Thread Resurrection!!!
    Guy was asking 4 years ago - chances he either bought them or missed 'em ...

Quote Originally Posted by gainbrainx View Post
    Every bit as well built as L 100's.
    I own a pair plus 4311's, L100's,and L 50,s.
    They are great sounding speakers.
    Sound better than Santana's.
    Had a pair of them but sold em'.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

RE In 1992 the company decided to purchase Altec Lansing from Telex.

From the post it would appear Wikipedia didn't make the difference between Altec Pro & consumer. What may have been purchased at the time could well be Altec consumer products, not Pro though.

In the Vari-Intense horn thread i have shown numerous tech sheets and others from Altec Pro, much of these dated 1996-7 and the sheets do indicate about Altec "A Mark IV Company" obviously referring to Mark IV Audio (Altec, EV, Gauss, Midas, Klark Teknik, etc.). Later also dismembered... with the last two brands going to Behringer, sad.

Fun Avatar pic btw.

Richard

40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

Just way cool

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    They really look like a product of the Spark-O-Matic years.

In 1992 the company decided to purchase Altec Lansing from Telex. Sparkomatic was widely considered low-end, K-Mart junk, so the acquisition of Altec Lansing gave Sparkomatic a jolt of new respect. In 1992 Altec Lansing moved to join Sparkomatic in Milford, Pennsylvania, and began building a new line of car and home loudspeakers.

The home loudspeakers had solid-walnut cabinets which were sourced locally in Pennsylvania. Altec Lansing was one of the only companies at the time to build its own cabinets and develop and build its own drive units, all under one roof.

In 2000 the Altec Lansing and Sparkomatic merger was completed under the Altec Lansing name, and they dropped the name Sparkomatic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparkomatic

These are from 1978

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1978-home.htm

Replacement grilles

Probably have made and sold 100 pairs of replacement foam grilles for the 7 and 9 models over the years - still do:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293843874587

Business has really picked up in the last several months - need to expand plus have 2-3 new products to introduce - am looking for production, IT, and online marketing help.

No response - which helps explain my avatar pic!

Thread Information