Thread: Altec speaker id help

Altec speaker id help

I got these speakers from a new friend who was moving to California and sold them to me. I can't seem to find what model they are. The stock configuration was with a single Altec 601C duplex speaker in each sealed cabinet. Since the tweeters on these drivers were blown, my friend added an 804A/811 driver/horn combo on top and installed 414A woofers in the cabinets.

The cabinets without the horns on top measure 28 1/4 inches tall X 13 inches deep X 19.5 inches wide and weigh 38 pounds each.

I was unable to find them in my old Allied or Harvey catalogs, or by internet searching, but found a possible ID in my 1959 HiFi Directory. I'm thinking that they are Altec 874C speakers. Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My thinking would be that what you have is a down-sized version of the Altec 606 corner cabinet, simply scaled to utilize the 601C. Which crossover did your friend choose to use with the current component loading? Are you satisfied with the sound of what you have? There is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with the components used, and they should make a decent-sounding speaker, albeit a bit bass shy.

Outside of some horn compensation work, there is not a lot more you can do to improve performance other than entering the 414 T/S specifications into one of the online box designers and install a proper port. That alone should improve bass performance.

GeeDeeEmm

Altec 7a 500. Opened the cabinets and found jbl d130

Someone gave me these speakers and they have been sitting in my attic for 10yrs. I want to sell them as I've told people that everything was original 511b horn etc., until I opened it up and see d130 inside. Does this degrade the value??

Thread Information