Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL 4429 biamp and dsp correction

I can not get the EQ2-plan working with the limited amount of PEQs in my dsp. I will stick to the first version, only fine-tuning the crossover-region.
    If I would have had around 20 PEQs per driver, then I could do it nicely for the whole spectra.

REW-files on my dropbox, if anyone wants to play with it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nou9noqn3v...biamp.zip?dl=0

I have listened now for a time, and I think definately it is an improvement.
    The midrange is clearer / less muddy.

My longterm vision is to build these guys into a baffle wall, go active on the LF, and add 2269h subs.

Which frequency and slope would you use for crossover to a potent subwoofer helping the 4429?
    Like 4645c, a DIY box with 2269h, or something like that.
    Thomas?

If I were in your situation (HC setup) I would probably try to restrict the sub to LFE duty only

OK.
    No, I would like the subs to play for music as well.
    My vision is to use my small LSR310s subs as balancing subs, the Earl Geddes way. Together with one potent 18" sub like 4645.

Sold the 4429:s today. New adventures ahead!
    Something large.
    Something JBL
    Something DIY.
    The theme is "If I could do it all over again...".

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Something large.
    Something JBL
    Something DIY.
    Any components you can hint us with?

There will be a separate build thread soon

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Something large.
    Something JBL
    Something DIY.
    Dang Magnus. I was getting ready to join you on this 4429 venture! Waiting for my copies now!

Quote Originally Posted by johnlcnm View Post
    Dang Magnus. I was getting ready to join you on this 4429 venture! Waiting for my copies now!
    Congrats, 4429 is fantastic! And some extra percents fantasticality can be squeezed out with this kind of EQ I did. So please continue this venture!

mic positions

Found this today, regarding mic positions.

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    REW 5 is the way to go. Be sure to get the Beta version that corrects the curve averaging method. For Mac, it is Beta 20. I use a Scarlett i212 as an external sound card. Most PC's have lousy frequency response so if you want to use your internal card, just do a loop back with the REW software to be sure things aren't too bad. I have a B & K mic, so I cannot comment on the suggestions others have made for mics. Since you don't have the ability to calibrate your mic, I would suggest sticking with something that is good quality or at least a known entity. If your mic has a non-flat characteristic (smoothed over the full frequency range) you will end up with less than desirable results. You need to be able to correct the Octave to Octave balance of your mic to less than 1/2 dB from 100 Hz to 10000 Hz. I plan to provide steps for in-room measurements and EQ soon, but not today. For now, consider REW 5 to be your software. It is excellent. Get a good mic, or at least one with flat (or known) response. REW has the ability to do a loop back correction for your electronics and it also takes a Txt file for mic calibration.

You will need to set up a mic array (one measurement at a time is just fine) around your listening position. 3 to 5 positions will be sufficient. If you try to include too large an area, you will cause more problems than you fix. I started with 5 positions and found that what I measured and what I heard did not agree. I found 3 positions that much more closely agreed measurement and sound wise. Just luck. I would start with 5 positions. one at your listening point, and the other 4 as a square or rectangle around the first mic. I typically space the mics about 2 feet from each other. One possibility is like the number 5 on a die (or dice?) Each of the 4 perimeter mics would be 4 ish feet from each other with the center mic in the middle. You should choose the same height for all mics and that height should be your ear height in your actual listening posture. REW can simply measure each mic position individually and then you can average the 5 into a single measurement. REW only has 30 bins so you need to throw away the individual measurements after the Average has been done (to save space).

Your M2/Crown setup will come with the recommended crossover and EQ already configured. The configuration is for flat response in a chamber and is not correct for a listening room without some adjustment, particularly in the 400 Hz and below region. There are several views regarding EQ above 400 Hz or so. I have had very good results correcting things above 400 Hz if you know something about your loudspeakers directivity behavior. I have a suggested in-room target shape which is not flat. I will publish my suggestion anotherday as I don't have the curves with me today.

This should be a fun project and you will end up with spectacular results.

Thread Information