Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I literally found these on the side of the road...JBL C38 content

Korina !

Korina finish, that's something you don't see every day on speakers.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    They used to sell tapered spun aluminum or steel types too but I can't seem to find them right now.
    Not Ikea, but I've seen these linked to before:

http://www.alphafurnishings.com/Alum...Leg-875al.html

can anybody recommend a good, affordable receiver to pair with these bad boys? new or vintage. affordable = <$500

After doing some more reading, seems like you probably wanna go with a receiver fairly low in power, for risk of blowing the D130s, i.e. <50W

Can anybody confirm that?

Figure on getting 1/2 rated power unless you're using amps with output transformer taps intended for 16 ohms.

In the end, not a big deal as even 25W would drive you from the room (or should).

Bigger amps don't damage speakers, operators do (including accidents that even a lower powered amp might not prevent). Cranking a receiver with the loudness switch on, trying to get more bass than the design was intended for, is a good way to take out old drivers.

I'd look for something quiet, personally. Picking a receiver or amp for someone else is like picking their girlfriend...
    I'll leave that dubious recommendation to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by caspersvapors View Post
    can anybody recommend a good, affordable receiver to pair with these bad boys? new or vintage. affordable = <$500

After doing some more reading, seems like you probably wanna go with a receiver fairly low in power, for risk of blowing the D130s, i.e. <50W

BS!

I've run my D130s for over fifty-years, most recently with a 200 watt-per-channel Crown CD300A-II. They love clean power and, to my mind, sounded better with the DC300A-II than with the smaller D150A-II.

When I first got them I blew an 075 with a crappy Kenwood receiver. At that time JBL had a lifetime warranty and I sent the driver back for repair and got it back with a nice note suggesting I might have my receiver checked for "high-frequency oscillation". I just sold the Kenwood and replaced it with a Mac C20 and a Fisher SA1000 amp. I believe the damage done was from too little power and too much sound pressure (volume).
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Pics still don't work, or the links to the pics are blocked or locked or don't work.

As for a good receiver, I'd suggest the Marantz 2230 or 2250 or 2270 (in good working condition, preferably recapped by someone competent and experienced). Those receivers have enough power without being super expensive, and have a mellow tubelike sound signature. A good tube amp would also be a good start, like a dynaco ST70 or much more expensive Marantz 8B or McIntosh tube amp. There's a bunch of people on AudioKarma.org who live in the SF Bay area, if you join and become a subscriber (for $25) you have access to Barter Town where there are sales listings or you could post a wanted to buy WTB ad. Same here for Lansing Heritage Marketplace except its free!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    BS!

I've run my D130s for over fifty-years, most recently with a 200 watt-per-channel Crown CD300A-II. They love clean power and, to my mind, sounded better with the DC300A-II than with the smaller D150A-II.

When I first got them I blew an 075 with a crappy Kenwood receiver. At that time JBL had a lifetime warranty and I sent the driver back for repair and got it back with a nice note suggesting I might have my receiver checked for "high-frequency oscillation". I just sold the Kenwood and replaced it with a Mac C20 and a Fisher SA1000 amp. I believe the damage done was from too little power and too much sound pressure (volume).

Lol it was one of your older posts where you mention blowing the 075 that had me wondering, but I know the Grateful Dead used to run these with high power Macs, so I was confused

thoughts on this receiver?

http://www.buya.com/Item/Details/SAN...FQqPfgodHngPOA

or the Sansui xx1 series?

Quote Originally Posted by caspersvapors View Post

"Choose an amplifier or receiver that’s as powerful (within reason) and as excellent as you can afford; at rational listening levels, “too much” available power will never compromise a speaker’s sound, but too little power definitely can."

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...kTUTXO3UUkH.99
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    "Choose an amplifier or receiver that’s as powerful (within reason) and as excellent as you can afford; at rational listening levels, “too much” available power will never compromise a speaker’s sound, but too little power definitely can."

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...kTUTXO3UUkH.99

interesting and somewhat counter intuitive. I guess my problem is I dont have a baseline. Like what is considered a cheap ass receiver? What is middle of the road? What is the most amazeballs receiver EVAR?

The cheapest ass receivers are black face AV receivers from Goodwill. They sound fine, have plenty of power to drive your very sensitive speakers and they're recent enough that you don't have to worry about parts failing. You spent zero on the speakers so that might be a good match. Get one with a phono input if you want to play records.

What a lucky score! Congratulations! What I wouldn't give to find something like that right now!

Thread Information