Thread: Back to start.

Back to start.

As you know, I replaced the LE14H-1 woofers in my 250ti system with the new LE14H-3 woofers, this spring.
    The bass was astonishing, but the midrange and tweeter were screaming like a pair of old, grumpy ladies!!
    I tried to change polarity, like you members suggested, but nothing worked.
    So, in my many years of audio experience, I thought: when the system played at it`s best, it was this Easter - I just got my EC 4.7 back from service, before I swopped the woofers, so I put back the LE14H-1 woofers back to the ti-system and there was the signature sound!! Wow! Tears filled my eyes with joy!!
    This is a mystery!! I remember one of you forum members, referred to a statement, saying: "overall there was a change in sound".
    In the nearest future I will have to refoam my woofers and hopefully they will work for more years. I`ll keep the LE14H-3 woofers, as reminder and perhaps use them later, when someone comes up wit h a good idea!!
    Now I can listen to Yello, Boris Blank, Dieter Meyer again!! The vocals don`t sound like snakes anymore......

Have a good listening weekend!!

Primus.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  62.9 KB

A well educated man in the sound legacy, and a friend of mine, says that - 1db in sensitivity, will effect the midrange and the tweeter....

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    A well educated man in the sound legacy, and a friend of mine, says that - 1db in sensitivity, will effect the midrange and the tweeter....
    A sensitivity reduction of 1dB over four octaves (the operating range of the 250Ti woofers) will be very, very noticeable, having the audible effect of making everything above those octaves seem louder, throwing the whole speaker out-of-balance. The narrower the range of the sensitivity change the less noticeable it will be. (Four octaves is a lot.)

Sounds very reasonable! This describes my ti-system, when LE14H-3 were installed.... sounded like they were on steroids! Very loud! Very noisy! and not in balance. This was depressing! I was so excited!.

Ok. Played Elvis`s the jungle room sessions, last night, The King`s voice was back again!! 40 years now, since the recordings at Graceland (where I also got married in 2012 )

Primus.

Yes!

This Christmas I replaced the woofers with a reconed set of LE14H-1. Thanks to Ramon Floodstream for doing the great work! I have 4 woofers, so I have one pair in stock/reserve, if needed!.

I also replaced the 104H midrange and the result was astonishing! Wow! What a sound!! The dark signature ti-sound was back, with applause.

We did the replacements, while the speaker was laying on the floor, resting on some books, so the flip switches back on the cabinet, wouldn`t be harmed

I have played my favorite music every evening: Yello, Kraftwerk, Ugress, Fluke, Elvis, Leftfield......

Very smooth, dark sound.

So now I`m thinking, what if I ever need to change the filters? Can I get some from Harman? The only things I haven`t changed on my ti`s, so far, are the tweeters and the filter, they are still in good condition, but what if.......? I have seen some tweeters on e-bay, but I didn`t like the pictures.

Primus.

You might want to replace the foam pad behind the tweeter dome.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    You might want to replace the foam pad behind the tweeter dome.
    I recall a posting here which described a "pioneering" exploration of getting access to and replacing the 035 ti foam.
    The OP had described his efforts as being tedious and potentially destructive to a driver.

Has anyone since come up with an acceptable procedure? I'm certain the 035's from my ca. 1986 4410's and 4412's
    need the treatment.

Thanks, D_E
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Yes, I heard about the foam aging, considering the tweeter. Perhaps a job for a pro?

When we changed the midrange, we had to be careful - it was almost "glued" to the black gloss.....

but we managed to do it without a scratch!

Midrange

I’m still experiencing some «high notes/squeeky sounds in the midrange. It’s not from tweeters. Could something have gone wrong, with the crossover, when I tried the LEH14-3 woofers? I only played 10-15 hours, before I changed back to the originals: LEH14-1. Primus.

Thread Information