Thread: Altec model 14 or 19 pros and cons

Altec model 14 or 19 pros and cons

I am in the market for new speakers and was unsure if I should look for 19 or 14. I have no experience with Altec but I want a nice horn set better than my Cornwall 3's. Any help would be appreciated.

Budget?

Welcome!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Budget?

Welcome!
    5000.00$
    Glad to be here, thanks for the greeting ☺

Quote Originally Posted by mrjazz1959 View Post
    I am in the market for new speakers and was unsure if I should look for 19 or 14. I have no experience with Altec but I want a nice horn set better than my Cornwall 3's. Any help would be appreciated.
    There was a pair of 19's on Craigslist a few months ago, for $1,500.00. I thought they were in Milwaukee.

I had a pair in 30 years ago but I ended up selling them. I used to play at local parties, and they were too hard to move around.

J.A.F.S.

Alternate Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by robertg View Post
    If you like the Altec Model 19s, I suggest you look at Electro-Voice Sentry III speakers.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

IMHO moving from Cornwalls to Altec 19s would likely be a step sideways. You're trading one sonic presentation for another. You should carefully audition the 19 to determine if its sonic presentation is more to your liking than the Cornwall.

When I was a salesperson at a large audio dealer in the late 70s we had Altec 19s, Cornwalls and JBL L300s on display in the same soundroom. After listening back-and-forth between all 3 for weeks I thought the Cornwalls were the over all the best sounding. I found the 19's midrange presentation too 'forward' sounding compared with the Cornwall's. Bass performance was similar, although I found the Cornwall more effortless below 100Hz. And I found the Cornwall's tonal balance to be more neutral than that of the Altec. As always, however, your mileage may vary, which is why I recommend auditioning.

(BTW, I've owned Cornwalls for over 30 years and am now using them as the main monitors in my home recording studio.)

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    IMHO moving from Cornwalls to Altec 19s would likely be a step sideways. You're trading one sonic presentation for another. You should carefully audition the 19 to determine if its sonic presentation is more to your liking than the Cornwall.
    +1

If you can spend $5K there are many choices. I can't suggest any clear stand outs though as personal preference is a huge factor.

Widget

do you have enough room for the 19s. the 19 will be more dynamic

I was a horny for many years and used many systems, some turnkey and some DIY, using gear by Altec, JBL, EV, Klipsch, McCauley, Emilar and so on. And in the end I thought the Model 19 was unsurpassed as a turnkey package. It had excellent tone, clarity and dynamics and had an unusual sense of life and it simply worked amazingly well for me.

When we we sold our big house and moved into a high rise in Chicago all the big horn gear went and the 19s were replaced by Martin Logan Vistas which, except for dynamics, were at least as good as any horn system I heard. Now I use headphones. ;-)

So nice to see you posting, Tom. I hope that you are healthy, wealthy and wise, and as feisty as ever!

Thread Information