Thread: 4429 or LSR708

4429 or LSR708

I was considering buying the LSR708 when a hifi dealer in Paris told he bought the last 20 pairs of 4429 available.... presumably in Europe (?); he sells them for 4 000 € instead of 6 000 € which brings both speakers at the same price tag....so I am hesitating.... it is for hifi use I shall say.
    On one hand i would think the 4429 ar more suitable for home use, but with a crown DCI2/300 with DSP I can tune the sound of the LSR708 to my taste, to my room...
    Which one would you pick ?

The 4429 is a handsome speaker with one of the best 12" woofers around and nobody said you couldn't use DSP to shape the room response of any speaker you like.

The LSR708i is very compact, cat proof and has an amazing wave guide.

...This is a tough choice!
    I really hope you get to hear both sets in the same room.

4429 weighs 3 times more than LSR708, so you get more mass/matter with 4429!

I have 4429 and it sounds very good for its size, and I know the designer was very proud of this one. But you need sub for fullrange.

I have never heard LSR708.

My guess is that you get better dispersion with LSR708 (better horn), and lower distorsion with 4429 (better elements and cabinet).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I really hope you get to hear both sets in the same room.
    No chance !

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I know the designer was very proud of this one. But you need sub for fullrange.

How can it be one of the best woofer and not go down that well (need a sub... indeed I red this in a review and was suprised... I thought the guy didn't measure and was not able to tell by ear... I thought at least 30Hz at 0db could be attained in a room) ? I have the 4425 and I get 28Hz at 0dB against the wall...?

The 1200fe woofer has very low distortion and many other above average properties at the expense of LF extension (around 60Hz anechoic).

Even if you don't have or want subs I still think it's a tough choice.

Both the 4429 and LSR708 will require a subwoofer, so that's not a point of difference between them.

The LSR708 is designed to be used with a BSS processor running dedicated DSP presets—consider the processor as part of the speaker; without it, the speaker will not sound as the designers intended. The 4429 was designed not to require DSP processing—carefully applied DSP processing can certainly improve its performance (as with any speaker), but it isn't required to get the speaker to perform as intended "out-of-the-box".

If you want to make a fair price comparison between the 4429 and LSR708, make sure any price you're quoted for the LSR708s includes an appropriate BSS processor. If not, you'll have to spend extra to buy one.

I am a fan of the 1200Fe hands down. It is an amazing 12" woofer that bests most woofers I have ever heard. I did like the 708 and the top sounded really nice but the bottom was now where near the quality of the 1200Fe. Like was said above a little dsp will go a long way.

Your mileage may very!
    Always fun learning more.......

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    I was considering buying the LSR708 when a hifi dealer in Paris told he bought the last 20 pairs of 4429 available.... presumably in Europe (?); he sells them for 4 000 € instead of 6 000 € which brings both speakers at the same price tag....so I am hesitating.... it is for hifi use I shall say.
    On one hand i would think the 4429 ar more suitable for home use, but with a crown DCI2/300 with DSP I can tune the sound of the LSR708 to my taste, to my room...
    Which one would you pick ?
    Hallo!

I have not listen to LSR708 so can't compare here, but, if it is for home use I would go for 4429. You must have the proper settings for the LSR708 either using a Crown DCi or BSS processor. Without these setting the speakers will not perform as intended.

I have Crown DCi 2/600N driving the 4429 and here you can use the EQ setting to tune your room with. I am not using any EQ in my case and don't have any subwoofer and have plenty of bass performance with these small boxes in my large room.

This is how my listening position measurements looks like. Do belive it was with the Mcintosh MC252 I had when I measured it.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post360360

One can not expect thundering bass with these small boxes but it is very good for High-end listening. I am happy with it. Great speakers, 4429.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    Both the 4429 and LSR708 will require a subwoofer, so that's not a point of difference between them.

The LSR708 is designed to be used with a BSS processor running dedicated DSP presets—consider the processor as part of the speaker; without it, the speaker will not sound as the designers intended.
    you re so right both of you... I am also looking at the Blu 50 which is not too expensive.... to be able to change amps....but for now I am playing with minDSP 2x4 HD and nano 2x8, and still have a lot to learn.... I bought two Crown D75 to run my L101 in biamp and with digital crossover, and a Crown XLi 800 (associated with the D75s in mono) for the 4425..... Once I will use the mini DSP properly I could deal with crown dsp or BSS.... and only then I will make if I can a Comparison I am interested in: Crown DCI 2/300 or 600 versus Bryston 4B.....

thanks Mctwin for the info I am reading your threads with interest....

Only one pair lesf at this parisian seller.... It was 10 and not 20 pairs he got.... When I came back he told me this last pair will be sold boxed and he wouldn't open it for a listening session....I will certainly regret it but I will pass my turn.... I feel I need to learn more than to buy.... what s the point of buying a fast car if you do not know how to drive it ? (yeah chicks...)

Quote Originally Posted by davidpou View Post
    ... I feel I need to learn more than to buy.... what s the point of buying a fast car if you do not know how to drive it ?
    Wise man... good luck on the quest.

And consider driving lessons.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

And consider driving lessons.

Widget
    I am.... POS was suppose to come to my house mid july but coudn't make it finally....

Thread Information