Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help ID JBL Speaker (D130 / 2x123 / 075 / XO2400)

Please help ID JBL Speaker (D130 / 2x123 / 075 / XO2400)

Hello vintage JBL lovers. It's my first post and I'd like you to know that I've been caught by this nice JBL virus also lol. Enough talk, the truth is that I recently scored this speakers, and I'm in search for more info about them. Anyone knows whats model it is? As you see in the pictures one of them has a 15" D130 and the other 2xD123 both with bullet tweeters and 2400 crossover. They sound wonderful, to my ears it sounds like they were projected to complete each other ! Anyone got more info about these ones? Thank you so much and I wish you wonderful auditions !

Name:  IMG_9390.JPG
Views: 1559
Size:  94.3 KBName:  IMG_9391.JPG
Views: 1185
Size:  84.9 KB

I've never seen red surrounds on a JBL but I'm no expert (EV?). They're two different (duh!) home made cabinets with JBL parts.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would put the crossover on the front, requiring the speaker wires to exit from the grill/baffle? The cabinets don't even appear to match each other, unless I'm misreading the D130 cabinet overhang from the angle of the photo. Too small a volume for a D130 to produce what bass it is capable of, and maybe one of the 12-inchers is a passive-radiator? Not sure what kind of an ID you're looking for, but they're obviously not JBL cabinets. Whether they are home-built of re-purposed should be pretty obvious from a look at the back and the insides.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Zakkbr these are likely aftermarket or homebrew cabs stuffed with mismatched but individually valuable components. The N2400 Xovers are nasty things because they were intended to run 075 tweeters down low where they sound awful. Keep the 075s, ebay the rest of the stuff individually and look to eventually building some high performance two or three ways in matched cabinets.

D 130, 075, n2400

Sorry to Hijack but I have also come into discovery that I own D 130 JBL's. They were left in the home I purchased a couple years ago. I almost threw them away and have heard what I have could be worth $1000. Can you provide any insight into this and suggest where would be the best place to sell them? To specify I have 2 D 130's, 2 075's, and 2 N2400's. I called a speaker repair shop and he offered me $350 for everything. He told me they were worth about $150 ea. for the speakers and $150 for the crossover pairs. Does that seem accurate? Appreciate any help you can give.
    Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  105.0 KBName:  IMG_1738.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  96.9 KBName:  IMG_1739.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  73.1 KBName:  IMG_1740.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  61.7 KBName:  IMG_1741.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  61.9 KB

Additional Photos

Name:  IMG_1747.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  139.7 KBName:  IMG_1748.JPG
Views: 579
Size:  97.8 KBName:  IMG_1749.JPG
Views: 689
Size:  108.8 KBName:  IMG_1750.JPG
Views: 633
Size:  110.7 KBName:  IMG_1751 (1).JPG
Views: 664
Size:  108.1 KB

Interesting find. I suggest you check eBay for actual sale prices and toss the boxes. Depending on condition, sale effort, pictures, testing and so forth, you might very well find $1K in all that.

And you now know not to take less than $350 (low enough to give a reseller interest as there would likely still be profit to be made after spending time testing and advertising and shipping and... ).

Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Interesting find. I suggest you check eBay for actual sale prices and toss the boxes. Depending on condition, sale effort, pictures, testing and so forth, you might very well find $1K in all that.

And you now know not to take less than $350 (low enough to give a reseller interest as there would likely still be profit to be made after spending time testing and advertising and shipping and... ).
    Thanks for your response. Is there any concern with sending (selling online) speakers and testing. Is there way to have them certified or something to reassure the buyer that they are in working order?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcates View Post
    Thanks for your response. Is there any concern with sending (selling online) speakers and testing. Is there way to have them certified or something to reassure the buyer that they are in working order?
    Good question. Many folks just take photos and put an ohmmeter on the terminals to show that it probably works. If you can run audio through them and they sound ok, even better. You could post them for sale here and maybe get a local buyer who would understand what they are (and the risks of buying antique audio parts). If you don't want the hassle or the speakers, $350 is more than zero ... Even CL should get interested calls at $500 as-is, cash in hand.

To specify I have 2 D 130's, 2 075's, and 2 N2400's. I called a speaker repair shop and he offered me $350 for everything. He told me they were worth about $150 ea. for the speakers and $150 for the crossover pairs. Does that seem accurate? Appreciate any help you can give.
    His offer is too low if the drivers are in as good a shape as they appear in the photos
    I wouldn't take less than $500 for them if it were a quick clean local cash deal and that is conservative
    craigslist is your friend
    If you go the auction route you'll realize even more with a good ad with good photos
    Present them as a stereo pair, either with or without the home made boxes
    Hook them up to an amp or receiver and give them a listen first before you decide to let go of them
    You just might wind up just wanting to keep them considering what you don't have in them
    Nice find!
    Joe

Pictures out of the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    His offer is too low if the drivers are in as good a shape as they appear in the photos
    I wouldn't take less than $500 for them if it were a quick clean local cash deal and that is conservative
    craigslist is your friend
    If you go the auction route you'll realize even more with a good ad with good photos
    Present them as a stereo pair, either with or without the home made boxes
    Hook them up to an amp or receiver and give them a listen first before you decide to let go of them
    You just might wind up just wanting to keep them considering what you don't have in them
    Nice find!
    Joe
    I pulled all of the speakers and crossovers out of the boxes they were in. One of the users on here asked me to send him pictures and he said the Subs were reconed and the surrounds were cracked. Based on that does that significantly lower their worth? Attaching pictures. Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  87.6 KBName:  IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  79.5 KBName:  IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  85.2 KBName:  IMG_1785.jpg
Size:  90.2 KB

I pulled all of the speakers and crossovers out of the boxes they were in. One of the users on here asked me to send him pictures and he said the Subs were reconed and the surrounds were cracked. Based on that does that significantly lower their worth? Attaching pictures. Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  87.6 KBName:  IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  79.5 KBName:  IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_1784.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  85.2 KBName:  IMG_1785.jpg
Size:  90.2 KB
    Additional photo.Name:  IMG_1786.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  77.1 KB

I'd say re-get a local opinion now that you have them out. I can't tell from the pictures (cracked where? Concentrically between the surround rolls?), and the cones (if they are reconed) might be JBL which is fine. Perhaps someone recognizes the white inked number. They appear to be in nice condition overall.

Personally, I'd want verified info before accepting a remote unsolicited appraisal (particularly if it would benefit the appraiser). May be fine, but verify.

Your components look wonderful to me, very nice
    Your cones appear to be correct to my eyes
    What is the complete # that is peeking out from under one of the basket spokes? That'll clear the cone issue up once and for all

If that number is "21057" then those are definitely JBL cones

What exactly are you trying to decide or solve?
    The speaker repair shop guy's offer is too low like I already said

Joe

Two things - get a clear closeup pic with light of the printed white numbers on the back of the cone, roughly under the input terminals but anywhere they are, and if there are any handwritten (in grease pencil) words anywhere on the cone.

then orient the camera about 30 deg. From horizontal and get close side pics of the double roll outer surround just inner from the cork front gasket. The question is whether there are any cracks or tears in the surround. There are hints of some kind of wavy circular line in the valleys between the rolls so look all the way around and photo any area that looks suspicious. If needed, push the cone (not on the metal center cap) down slightly to see if travel causes the area to reveal any problem.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information