Thread: Power for Olympus SR-8 ??

Power for Olympus SR-8 ??

Would eighteen watts per channel be enough to run a pair of these well? Can someone relate the effeciency from their old ratings to what it would be valued at today? Thanks, RL
    Robin

Looks like they are about 95db @ 1 meter. They have good sensitivity. As far as the power 18 watts could work just fine depending on levels room size and music. How do they sound now?? What amps??

Rob

I've been thinking about buying a pr. The amps I'm using are Hammond chassis with UTC transformers and using 4 2a3 per side. They have passive volume control that, with my VOT, rarely is used at more that 20%. They've just been checked out by a (terrific) tech and are said to output eighteen watts. The VOT do the job for me, I've just got the bug to try an SR-8 system if the amps seem up to it. The room is about 16 x 20.
    Robin

JonathanKeehn
    I used to own a pair of C60 Sovereign I S8r's powered by a JBL Graphic Controller and 40 watt per channel Energizer and they would blow you out of the room at full power, as well as cause permanent hearing damage. I found this out a few years ago when I had an audiogram performed by a hearing doctor. He asked what occupation I was in and to find out what noise exposure I had suffered over the years. I told him I used to play the drums and had a killer JBL sound system. He smiled and nodded his head, knowingly. My hearing response graph had a rather substantial 4kHz notch in it. The amps you mentioned should energize your speakers very well unless they are in a huge sized room.

Thread Information