Thread: Yet another L100T3 refurbish thread

Yet another L100T3 refurbish thread

Hi to you all. Call me Marty. I am new to this forum so if this is trite or in the wrong place please forgive me.

I acquired a pair of L100T3 that have had a rough life. My intent is to rebuild the cabinets to their former glory and perhaps tweak the sound. The problems with the speakers range from a dried out and stained (but no chips!), one is missing the tweeter with the other needing a new dome and foam, a missing midrange isolation cup (whatever the correct term is for this), and a need of new foam on the woofers.

I have the two 052Ti tweeters on the way. I have the foam for the woofers and am cutting my teeth on foam replacement with a pair of LX44s I got for cheap. So far so good. I do need to find the isolation cup for the midrange driver. I could rob one from the LX44 but I would rather have the original. Any suggestions?

A couple other questions regarding the cabinets. I have read that roofing felt is very good for interior lining. Would this be applied (glued or stapled) behind the mass of fiberglass or does this replace the fiberglass leaving the cabinet open?

I have some extremely nice hardwood of various species available for my use. I am planning on building some TT plinths. But I am also interested in knowing the implications of using solid hardwood as a cabinet as apposed to MDF board. If I go this route I may not stick with the L100T3 design but may design according to my own likes but use components from the LxxxT series or perhaps the JBL monitor series. Still thinking about this one.

So in short I am looking for the isolation cup for the midrange driver and would like to know about hardwood vs MDF board.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Marty View Post
    Hi to you all. Call me Marty. I am new to this forum so if this is trite or in the wrong place please forgive me.

I acquired a pair of L100T3 that have had a rough life. My intent is to rebuild the cabinets to their former glory and perhaps tweak the sound. The problems with the speakers range from a dried out and stained (but no chips!), one is missing the tweeter with the other needing a new dome and foam, a missing midrange isolation cup (whatever the correct term is for this), and a need of new foam on the woofers.

I have the two 052Ti tweeters on the way. I have the foam for the woofers and am cutting my teeth on foam replacement with a pair of LX44s I got for cheap. So far so good. I do need to find the isolation cup for the midrange driver. I could rob one from the LX44 but I would rather have the original. Any suggestions?

A couple other questions regarding the cabinets. I have read that roofing felt is very good for interior lining. Would this be applied (glued or stapled) behind the mass of fiberglass or does this replace the fiberglass leaving the cabinet open?

I have some extremely nice hardwood of various species available for my use. I am planning on building some TT plinths. But I am also interested in knowing the implications of using solid hardwood as a cabinet as apposed to MDF board. If I go this route I may not stick with the L100T3 design but may design according to my own likes but use components from the LxxxT series or perhaps the JBL monitor series. Still thinking about this one.

So in short I am looking for the isolation cup for the midrange driver and would like to know about hardwood vs MDF board.

Thanks
    Hello Marty have any pic. It would be nice to see start to finish product

The midrange dust cover domes may still be in stock for purchase. Part #66136.

To place an order for Misc. Parts (handles, corners,
    networks, logos, etc.) Please contact Parts Administration direct at (818) 894-8850.

David F
    San Jose

If it's any help, here's a link to a thread of my son and I doing a pair of L100T's. I'd love to see what changes you make.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...eather-(hjames)!

Hello Marty,

Welcome to the forum. There is a unbelievable amount of Lansing knowledge here and we look forward to your project. I also want to add a link to a mdf thread I started 6 months ago when I had some questions about working with it, here. I'm really glad I went with mdf but I also felt a little weird the next day after working with it outside and with a mask. Good Luck.

Thanks,
    Scott

Thanks for the welcome!

@dino I will post pictures. I just have not had much time lately. I have several other projects to do and work is getting in the way.

David, I did solve the isolation cup problem. I took the drivers out yesterday and found the cup hanging between the midrange and the woofer by the speaker wire. I need to find the right glue to get it back up where it needs to be.

@svollmer. Yes, I did read that thread several days ago. It was very interesting and will prove useful in the future. I wish I had gotten my L100t3s for such a low price. Thank you and thanks to Heather.

@Scott Thanks! I read it all. SO I can take it that MDF is the best material for speaker cabinets. Too bad, I really would like a set with solid natural hardwood. I guess it is the resonance of say maple, walnut, or oak that makes them less desirable as cabinets? In guitars that is exactly what a builder wants. Perhaps 3/4" MDF and 1/2 inch hardwood casing? What should the driver mounting face be made of?

After some thought I will simply get the speakers back to operating condition with spec parts, 052Ti tweets (yes I know not spec), the 104-H2 midrange that came with the cabinets, and the 2214 woofers. No changes yet to the xover. I would like to know about the fiberglass though. If I cover the entire interior of the enclosure with roofing felt will I still need to put the fiberglass back in? As I hate fiberglass, is there a better insulation? Some help on what glue to use to remount the midrange isolation cup would be helpful too.

Thank you all for the welcome and responses. This appears to be a very good forum in all respects.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Marty View Post
    @Scott Thanks! I read it all. SO I can take it that MDF is the best material for speaker cabinets. Too bad, I really would like a set with solid natural hardwood. I guess it is the resonance of say maple, walnut, or oak that makes them less desirable as cabinets? In guitars that is exactly what a builder wants. Perhaps 3/4" MDF and 1/2 inch hardwood casing? What should the driver mounting face be made of?
    Acoustically it is. When I was building my speakers I gave some thought about sandwiching 3/4" MDF and 1/4" BB together but realized I didn't have the clamping ability to make it perfect so I decided against it. Also for me going with a know design makes life a lot easier. Why not go with MDF and a veneer?

Thanks,
    Scott

On this pair of L100t3, I will do my best to bring the existing finish back. If that does not work then I will most likely use a new veneer. It would be a same to waste such wonderful wood on something less than perfect, meaning the sound.

I think JBLs look good in rosewood veneer.

Good luck on the restoration!

Thread Information