Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charge coupled passive crossover networks

Charge coupled passive crossover networks

I continue to see claims inferring that charge coupling capacitors of passive crossover networks significantly improves the sound quality. To be specific, I recently constructed a pair of the Nelson Pass modified L300 crossovers (http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf) for my L300 clone system. The system has now been up and running for a few weeks of testing and I have to say sounds pretty darn good to me. However since, like most of us, I’m always looking for something a little bit better. Therefore, I was toying with the idea of putting together a pair that was charge coupled to see if there would be any perceptible improvement in the sound. To be candid I am quite skeptical that there would be any perceptual or measurable differences in sound to anyone other than bats or young dogs (to paraphrase my LH friend Wagner). I think I have a basic understanding of the charge coupling concept relative to the bad effects due to dielectric absorption and mechanical resonance/microphony of capacitors, but can anyone really hear this stuff?

I’m anxious to get the opinions of those that have actually done this. Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom

I posted a link in the recent thread you will find interesting.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...g-on-the-Cheap

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm001 View Post
    I think I have a basic understanding of the charge coupling concept relative to the bad effects due to dielectric absorption and mechanical resonance/microphony of capacitors, but can anyone really hear this stuff?
    No. It's total bullshit. I've built dozens of these nonsensical networks for various JBL loudspeaker systems and the only differences have been increased cost, complexity and physical size.

JBL came up with this little ploy to help sell their "top of the line" <snicker>, "state of the art" <who's art is the real question> loudspeaker systems.

Seriously, who doubles capacitance and then hooks it all up to a battery? Capacitors suck so let's put twice as many of them in and make them twice as big, two wrongs make a right right?

A link to the system that started all this idiocy: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...3-k2-s5500.htm

JBL has a very long history of propaganda... take the L300 for example. Have you ever read all the horseshit JBL printed about that hiss and boom box? Nelson Pass lost the last shred of respect I had for him when he wasted his time trying to make that system sound good using a different filter design. Talk about throwing good money after bad!

How about we all stop this madness and drop this inane subject once and for all eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    No. It's total bullshit. I've built dozens of these nonsensical networks for various JBL loudspeaker systems and the only differences have been increased cost, complexity and physical size.

JBL came up with this little ploy to help sell their "top of the line" <snicker>, "state of the art" <who's art is the real question> loudspeaker systems.

Seriously, who doubles capacitance and then hooks it all up to a battery? Capacitors suck so let's put twice as many of them in and make them twice as big, two wrongs make a right right?

A link to the system that started all this idiocy: http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...3-k2-s5500.htm

JBL has a very long history of propaganda... take the L300 for example. Have you ever read all the horseshit JBL printed about that hiss and boom box? Nelson Pass lost the last shred of respect I had for him when he wasted his time trying to make that system sound good using a different filter design. Talk about throwing good money after bad!

How about we all stop this madness and drop this inane subject once and for all eh?

Thanks. Kinda thought so. Amen.

Tom

Little did I know what I was getting into here!

Sorry! I didn't know the history of this topic.

Tom

OK, I'm just an enthusiast who knows next to nothing, but I'll put forth my 2C for what it's worth.

A couple of months ago, I set up a pair of K2's for a friend and listened to them over a number of days for an hour or so each day.

One day, I was Moving papers around and stumbled across a couple of 9V batteries with the rest of the JBL stuff. I asked my buddy, and neither of us knew what they were for, and had a good laugh at how addled we were to have assembled his speakers without the necessary batteries. Obviously, neither of us thought that the batteries were for the K2's.

I had been doing some reading regarding crossover options for the L300's of another friend and had run across the term "Charge Coupled" and that came to mind after our laughing session. I mentioned this to my friend, who knew nothing. I wondered if his K2's might be charge coupled, and looked up the manual. OK.... Duh!

So, I installed the batteries, and we sat down to listen. After a few seconds, we turned to one another with surprise and both blurted out that the sound was clearer and more enjoyable. This last from two middle aged dopes that both suffer from tinnitus and had no preconceived ideas regarding Charge Coupled crossovers.

I'm a believer.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I got a CHARGE out of that!

Oh those Canadians! They sure do leave you guessing, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Oh those Canadians! They sure do leave you guessing, eh?
    Yeah, I worked up there in Toronto years ago. Yeah got to watch em close, eh? Good people though. Very much like my native born Cheesehead brothers and sisters from Wisconsin.

Gotta love those Packers. What is it with Brett Favre anyway? At first I thought he misspelled his own name on this football I've got. Orange carsh anyone?

Any of you work here? I worked at the Downsview plant in 85.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think if Greg was able to post a few words it would provide some equilibrium between the throng of JBL haters coming out of the closet and the would be new believers.

I dont think closing the book on any of the legacy topics is the answer.

We are all here to have fun even into our twighlight years.

I recall Earl discussing varying the dc bias voltage once. Does 18 volts make a difference over 9 volts?

If its any consequence Giskard hated the 2311 and 2307/2308 and cursed they sounded terrible while he waxed lyrical of 4430 black bum horn.

That was before we started to have a hard look at eqivalents of the old vintage networks, dusted diaphragms and charge coupling.

The 43xx series has since had overwhelming popularity among forum members.

Thread Information