I've posted this same query at the Altec Users forum, but received no interest, so I'm hoping somebody here might have some experience in the direction I want to take with this build. Here we go.

Since I was a teenager I've wanted an Altec A7-based stereo system, but space has never allowed such monsters in my home. That is still the situation, but the dream lives on. I've decided to build my own Altec system with a footprint that will allow me to continue living with my wife in the same space. I've collected the following components so far:

- A Pair of 416-8Z woofers in near perfect condition, one of which has just returned from GPA for a complete recone.

- A pair of 511B horns - one of which is NOS brand new from the box, the other in storage since the 1960s

- One 802D driver (as new) and one 808-8A driver, unused and fresh from the factory box. Both of these will be refitted with new 8-ohm diaphragms from GPA.

The cabinets will be furniture-grade 7 cubic foot pieces with the usual over-bracing, yadda, yadda, designed from computer program and vented. Loosely based on the Altec Model 19. Narrow cabinet width will be compensated by greater height. They will be v-shaped to fit in the corner of the room.

Two questions:

- The horns will be mounted on top of the cabinets simply because I want them to be seen. Should I position the woofers at the top of the cabinets as well in order to keep them as close to the horn mouth as possible?

- My biggest concern is crossover design. I want to take advantage of the recent research done by a number of Altec enthusiasts to smooth the horn driver"s frequency response - especially in the 500 - 5000Hz range. My first inclination was to go with a version of the Zilch-designed Z19 crossover, but he favored changing the horn drivers to another brand. I recently ran across the Hiraga-designed network:
(http://web.archive.org/web/200502060...s/HiragaA5.pdf). Complete background article at:http://wajonaudio.webs.com/Voice%20o...%20theatre.pdf. Although Hiraga's crossover is specifically designed for use with the 288 drivers, it seems that the frequency response modifications are identical to those required for smoothing the 802 drivers.

(I'd like to advise in advance that I have no technical training in electronics, so my understanding of electronics is quite rudimental. I can build crossovers from diagrams, but beyond that I'm at loss.)

I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys have on this project, especially the crossover question. Thanks in advance for any help.

GeeDeeEmm