Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Metro area meet up.

Jim's System

I had the pleasure of listening to Jim's system recently and I must say I was thoroughly impressed.

We didn't do any cable swapping tests so I cannot comment on that. But in regards to the system overall, it was really a treat to listen to. I've been to few Hi-Fi shows in the last couple years and can confidently say Jim's system would easily rank at the very top (in my opinion).

I was only sitting may 7 or 8 feet away from the speakers but the imaging was just so impressive. They are massive speakers, but when it comes to their sound they truly disappear. In my opinion, the most impressive part of the overall system was the absolutely seamless integration of the 813s with the 2245 subs. They integrated well at low volume and high volume setting. The bass was not boomy or overwhelming in any way. I now understand why the 2245s have a cult following. In my opinion, they are better sounding than many large JBL studio monitors.

Also, even though it was not over the top, I could tell that Jim spent at least some time in tweaking speaker placement and utilizing sound treatment. I, unfortunately, don't have a dedicated listening room where I could pull the speakers away from the walls and put sound treatment around the room. That being said, I do believe it is one of the most effective ways to achieve better sound. I think is one aspect of audio very few audiophiles seem to focus on.

Overall - excellent system and since thanks for Jim inviting me to listen to it.

MidAtlantic listening party continues!

Yes yes, time for another meetup somewhere before the end of summer 2017!
    The last one I managed to get to was at svollmer's place April 29th!
    I'd host one, but nothing's really changed much at my place in a while ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for the nice comments, Dhar. It was great to see you again, and to meet your wife. If there's anyone else in the DMV that would like to hear the system let me know, I'd be happy to host. Made a couple nice improvements since the last meet here with Heather, Steve, and Wilfredo. I missed that meet at Steve's house in April, but am looking forward to hearing his new speakers.

I gather this DC group fizzled out long before the pandemic. Any plans to rev up again after the world turns?

Hey Riley, we are all definitely looking forward to getting together to listen to music again. No meets since 2019 and not everyone is necessarily running JBL if that's important, though there's undoubtedly some in the house. My UREI/sub system is apart right now during an ongoing diy remodel but I hope to get it back up and running later this year or next winter. PM me and we'll keep you posted about what we're planning. - Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    I gather this DC group fizzled out long before the pandemic. Any plans to rev up again after the world turns?
    Near as I know the DC audio pals are still on the go! I've had 2 shots and so has my wife Emma, but have not had any audiophiles in the house for well over a year -Got to do some housecleaning, at the least.

Don't have a lot of JBLs here - 2 pair of (JBL coaxial-based) UREI 809s in the Multichannel rig downstairs,
    got the modded Heath/Altec- Valencias upstairs - but the regulars have all heard my stuff!
    Well, except for the Raspberry Pi streaming system I added to the upstairs system.

I think the last audio-bash I attended was with Wilfredo at Tinpan's place to hear his VOTT system
    and a number of other high efficiency system. Bit of a drive but very nice!

So - what do you have to share Riley?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Neither my JBLs nor my Altecs are particularly presentable other than a very nicely turned out subwoofer enclosure that was gifted to me by a nearby forum member. My other speakers are old 4827 stage monitor boxes or very utilitarian locally made studio monitor enclosures for Altec 601s and 604s. The oldest are from the seventies and the newest are probably from the 90s. I just didn't know the flavor of the local group thus my question.

Neither my JBLs nor my Altecs are particularly presentable other than a very nicely turned out subwoofer enclosure that was gifted to me by a nearby forum member. My other speakers are old 4827 stage monitor boxes or very utilitarian locally made studio monitor enclosures for Altec 601s and 604s. The oldest are from the seventies and the newest are probably from the 90s. I just didn't know the flavor of the local group thus my question.
    And 4 months later we are still holding off on listener parties at my house -
    so, how are you making out, Riley?

Just riding my bike everywhere and setting up sound for a few outdoor events. We have an indoor wedding to set up this weekend and I have misgivings. Too bad that listening parties don't lend themselves to outdoor settings. My biggest project right now is deciding how to move ahead with building enclosures for my 14" B&C coax drivers that I initially bought to test as replacements for all my stage monitors and then decided I liked them better than my Altec 604s. Sold the 604s just in time for Covid to hit and turn everything upside down. How are you holding up in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    And 4 months later we are still holding off on listener parties at my house -
    so, how are you making out, Riley?

Changed jobs twice as contracts ended but I'm still 100% telework. I'm the tech lead for our small local church, so I got us online with Facebook live via iPad last March, then when a facebook update broke that in June, I did some updates with a gifted macbook and Logitech webcam and we've been using that for the last couple months. Mostly online but we do have a dozen or so folks in attendance now, limited numbers to preserve safe distancing.

My wife (Rev) Emma was the officiant at her niece's (indoor) wedding in Richmond last month - big deal with lots of family and friends for the weekend - but we've been vaccinated for a while now, and did mask in the densest part of the event. We were looking forward to our annual trip to Richmond end of October for the Highland Games and festival - Celtic games, music, food, beer and whiskey tastings. And drums and pipers! But at the end of August they decided to cancel it again this year, as the Delta variant is ramping up. Ah well ...

In the interest of downsizing again, clearing the clutter in our living room - I have 4 large pairs of speakers in there and basically gave away some Optimus speakers I refurbed,
    and I have decided to sell off the Heath/Altec Valencias I refurbed over the last couple years to free up room there.

I did get some new old speakers (JBL L212) due to a crazy great deal, and have been enjoying music with them ...
    Like Weasel on WTMD 9-Mid Friday nights & replayed Sat Noon -3PM! - https://wtmd.org/radio/sample-page/weasel/

Just riding my bike everywhere and setting up sound for a few outdoor events. We have an indoor wedding to set up this weekend and I have misgivings. Too bad that listening parties don't lend themselves to outdoor settings. My biggest project right now is deciding how to move ahead with building enclosures for my 14" B&C coax drivers that I initially bought to test as replacements for all my stage monitors and then decided I liked them better than my Altec 604s. Sold the 604s just in time for Covid to hit and turn everything upside down. How are you holding up in all this?

Sounds like you and your Reverend landed sticky side up in this brave new world. I wondered what happened to Weasel. He was doing a show on WOWD for a time but I haven't heard him since the plague started. Glad he landed somewhere. Being an ex Takoma Park hippie my Mac Mini stream machine is tuned to WOWD 24/7. Closing my shop gave me lots of spare 12 year old Macs for permanent media boxes.

Like Weasel on WTMD Sats at Noon! - https://wtmd.org/radio/sample-page/weasel/

Sounds like you and your Reverend landed sticky side up in this brave new world. I wondered what happened to Weasel.
    He was doing a show on WOWD for a time but I haven't heard him since the plague started. Glad he landed somewhere. Being an ex Takoma Park hippie my Mac Mini stream machine is tuned to WOWD 24/7.
    Closing my shop gave me lots of spare 12 year old Macs for permanent media boxes.
    I heard John Paige (Abstractions show on WGTB back in the day) is now on Monday afternoons WOWD TK Park - tho I keep forgetting to dial him in while I'm at work.
    Got a 2009 macPro for my main machine here - hacked a bit (was Quadcore-now 3.33 hexCore Xeon), flashed the chips, and currently running Mojave on it,
    tho I'm hesitant to try to run Catalina or Big Sur on it - I've heard the newer OSX security settings makes it less "open" for such hacks, and I don't want to brick it!
    I have a Raspberry Pi4 microcomputer on my main system running Volumio as a neat little digital streamer -
    its set for some internet radio stations as well as Grateful Dead Radio, Paradise Radio, and Qobuz.
    Nicely replace the Airport Express in that location.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Got a 2009 macPro for my main machine here - hacked a bit (was Quadcore-now 3.33 hexCore Xeon), flashed the chips, and currently running Mojave on it,
    tho I'm hesitant to try to run Catalina or Big Sur on it - I've heard the newer OSX security settings makes it less "open" for such hacks, and I don't want to brick it!
    I'm running a "Mid-2012" MBP that I had to update to Mojave just to be able to do my taxes on TurboTax this year. Got an ominous warning from TurboTax that I'd need a newer machine to continue to use TurboTax next year. Never has my poor MPB run slower or become more touchy than it has since "updating" to Mojave. It takes forever do to anything like open a new tab, or anything simple. Can't wait to go with a newer machine but my accumulation of files over the last four MacBooks will require larger storage than most of the new ones offer for a reasonable price. Hate to lose all my old conversations with Internet friends, and photos and JBL technical specs that are no longer accessible from LH links.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Mojave OS was designed with the expectation that the computer it runs on has an SSD. If you still have a spinning drive it's going to be onerous. Installing an SSD and moving the old internal drive to an external case for file storage will make a 2012 MBP work just as fast at most operations as a 2018 MBP. Or so my 2012 MBP tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm running a "Mid-2012" MBP that I had to update to Mojave just to be able to do my taxes on TurboTax this year. Got an ominous warning from TurboTax that I'd need a newer machine to continue to use TurboTax next year. Never has my poor MPB run slower or become more touchy than it has since "updating" to Mojave. It takes forever do to anything like open a new tab, or anything simple. Can't wait to go with a newer machine but my accumulation of files over the last four MacBooks will require larger storage than most of the new ones offer for a reasonable price. Hate to lose all my old conversations with Internet friends, and photos and JBL technical specs that are no longer accessible from LH links.

Mojave OS was designed with the expectation that the computer it runs on has an SSD. If you still have a spinning drive it's going to be onerous. Installing an SSD and moving the old internal drive to an external case for file storage will make a 2012 MBP work just as fast at most operations as a 2018 MBP. Or so my 2012 MBP tells me.
    Makes perfectly good sense as that's where mine bogs down. Still doesn't change the coming incompatibility with some programs as part of Apple's obsolescence agenda. I'll miss my optical drive!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information