Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Metro area meet up.

Possibly not your thing since it ain't Apple, but a year and a half ago purchased an HP Notebook 15-DA2027CA, Win 10, has two drives plus optical drive on board (DVD Writer). Pretty fast Intel core i 5 10th gen, 8 GB Ram.

128 GB SSD mostly to run Windows and programs (using 42% of space), and for storage the other is 1 TB SATA. Enough space for a while. No complaints yet...

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Possibly not your thing since it ain't Apple,
    Thanks for the suggestion but, having started with an Apple IIe and purchasing the 3rd Mac sold in my town decades ago, I hope when I finally retire from my job I'll never have to touch another Windows box for the rest of my life! I know, that's short-sighted. It's just the way it is . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

In 1986 I walked into a small computer store on Rockville Pike to buy a computer to use for my business. The sole salesman was busy with another customer so I spent some time poking around on the two computers on display that were powered on. The Apple Mac had a mouse with a button and pictures of file folders and documents on it's greyscale screen. The IBM had a black screen with a blinking green dash on it. Having never before operated a computer more complex than a pocket calculator I nonetheless managed to open some sort of readme document on the Mac and once having done that I figured out how to drop menus down that was about it. I discovered that I could type characters on the IBM but that was about it. When it was my turn with the salesman I said " I'll take the Apple one since the IBM seems to be broken".

Didn't even try again with anything MS based until Win 95 was available as one of the early corporate events my company provided a sound system for was the roll out of Windows One for the federal government also in 1986. The company rep gave a speech and walked everyone thru the operations of the new OS on the big multi image screen and then the assembled government computer geeks were turned loss on the twenty or so workstations throughout the Ontario Theater. Within an hour the audience had largely drifted away as all the computers had locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but, having started with an Apple IIe and purchasing the 3rd Mac sold in my town decades ago, I hope when I finally retire from my job I'll never have to touch another Windows box for the rest of my life! I know, that's short-sighted. It's just the way it is . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Mojave OS was designed with the expectation that the computer it runs on has an SSD. If you still have a spinning drive it's going to be onerous. Installing an SSD and moving the old internal drive to an external case for file storage will make a 2012 MBP work just as fast at most operations as a 2018 MBP. Or so my 2012 MBP tells me.
    Yep, I swapped my main HDD to a SSD, and installed a Firecuda 510 (500GB) M.2 PCIe ($100) and card on the motherboard. MUCH Faster.
    That and upping to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB graphics card made a huge difference in my ancient 2009 Mac Pro. And maxing it at 32 Gig RAM.

So - I did start with a home-assembled 286-20 and Dos 3.1. When I swapped it for a 386 I added multitasking with DesqView and QEMM and stood up a BBS on it in the late 80s. By mid '96 I was moving from BBSs to ArpaNet. I bought a G4 power Mac around 2000, and moved away from Windows machines about then, except for what I used at work. We also had linux servers at work, so after a while I had my hand in all of the above ... Had a mac Mini for a while, then bought the Quadcore Mac Pro in 2010, and started hacking it around 2016 - first with an expanded processor board, then newer Wifi card, ram, etc. I do have 8 drives tied to it - 4 in an external case - roughly 12TB these days.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

As part of my hoarding kept the 1990 DOS manual that came with my first computer in 1991, i think it was a 286. That manual has 506 pages! of commands to type along with explanations for each one. Pretty well made. Still pure madness though.

Manual says DR DOS is a Disk Operating System designed to work on micro-computers based on Intel microprocessors 8088, i386, i486 or compatible.

No doubt that folks with an Apple had it easier...

Name:  IMG_2630.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  70.5 KBName:  IMG_2634.JPG
Views: 645
Size:  95.7 KB

So, in spring 2019 my wife and I decided to make some changes to our little house to make......well, old age a little more comfortable. Sadly, the loser in this arrangement was the UREI 813C and 2245h subwoofer large format monitors. We converted the listening room to other needed living spaces and the speakers went into storage.

After much procrastinating over the last few years, Friday morning the UREIs/subs got packed into a U-haul trailer to make the trip to a new home. We wish the new owners well and hope the system brings them many hours of musical enjoyment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those new owners would be me and the Mrs in Southeast Michigan! Glad Rusty came across my "Looking for subwoofer recommendations to pair with my XPL200's" thread. Because yep, got some subwoofers alright. Rusty and his wife are wonderful people, had a great time. Should be said that Rusty went above and beyond, because of him every piece of kit ended up in that trailer very well packed. I mean, he made custom jigs for us to keep them in place during transit! Not to mention all the time he took to school me on things, to dismantle the speakers and load them in the trailer with me. He even threw in his Carver amp, that blew me away. Truly a stand-up guy. Almost forgot, Mrs Jefferson got dougnuts for the listening party! Wish we could have stayed longer to B.S., but the road was beckoning and we were working off of one hour of sleep..

Here they are in their new home, aka Derek's shit shack, of which Mrs DTG helped unload and put in place. She loves the look:
    Name:  20221023_193723.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  60.3 KB

Congratulations!!!

Rusty, sorry for your loss, but I understand.

Widget

Yes, Rusty and the Mrs are very fine people to deal with!
    Nice to know where those amazing UREI speakers & subs went!
    Listening to them was an awesome experience!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Cool picture of you jamming, Heather!

Very awesome indeed, I am digging them. Saw your thread as well, seems the experience sent you in search of some UREI's as well. I LOVE how efficient these are! (Amidst other things..) When funds allow, I will certainly be exploring the Aquaplas coated diaphragms.

Thanks, but it's not about me - these speakers are legendary!
    Opimax shot the picture, and the room is well lit
    so you can see all the details of these amazing speakers here.

Besides, who doesn't love quad 15s with 2 18s for reinforcement.
    It's not overkill - Rusty had them dialed in beautifully!

They impressed me enough that I found a pair of the 811B single 15" UREIs
    and went to WV to buy them. My job ended immediately afterwards (!)
    and I panic-sold them ... Just too big for me.
    But I love the 3 pairs of 809A UREIs I own now.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Cool picture of you jamming, Heather!

Very awesome indeed, I am digging them. Saw your thread as well,
    seems the experience sent you in search of some UREI's as well.
    I LOVE how efficient these are! (Amidst other things..)
    When funds allow, I will certainly be exploring the Aquaplas coated diaphragms.

Great picture Heather. Almost forgot how big they are until I set them up in the basement for Derek to hear!

I'm very happy they went to a good home with plenty of space, an understanding (soon to be) spouse and a member here who is also much younger than me. Gotta get/keep the younger folks into the Lansing Heritage.

Derek, many of the purists prefer the Altec UREIs to the JBL UREIs, but I think the E-145 is just an excellent midrange woofer, and now that Ken (Edgewound) is putting Aquaplas on the titanium diaphragms (something unavailable to me) these speakers will hopefully bring many years of happy listening and even better sound than I had.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks, but it's not about me - these speakers are legendary!
    Opimax shot the picture, and the room is well lit
    so you can see all the details of these amazing speakers here.

Besides, who doesn't love quad 15s with 2 18s for reinforcement.
    It's not overkill - Rusty had them dialed in beautifully!

They impressed me enough that I found a pair of the 811B single 15" UREIs
    and went to WV to buy them. My job ended immediately afterwards (!)
    and I panic-sold them ... Just too big for me.
    But I love the 3 pairs of 809A UREIs I own now.
    I can see why. I love the quad 15 arrangement! Looks killer, and really slams. The 18's are magic as well. Although I see I have them arranged upside down compared to rusty's arrangement... Was a pain to set them up! LoL if it matters though, I'm sure my fiancée will help me swap 'em around. I've got them too close to the rear wall anyway, can't get back there like I intended. But I'm having so much fun with them I don't want to go through the rig-a-marole that is moving stuff around..

I understand the panic.. Waaay beyond my original subwoofer budget but this was one of those opportunities I just couldn't pass up. Glad I didn't and glad rusty made them available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Great picture Heather. Almost forgot how big they are until I set them up in the basement for Derek to hear!

I'm very happy they went to a good home with plenty of space, an understanding (soon to be) spouse and a member here who is also much younger than me. Gotta get/keep the younger folks into the Lansing Heritage.

Derek, many of the purists prefer the Altec UREIs to the JBL UREIs, but I think the E-145 is just an excellent midrange woofer, and now that Ken (Edgewound) is putting Aquaplas on the titanium diaphragms (something unavailable to me) these speakers will hopefully bring many years of happy listening and even better sound than I had.
    You know, when I first mentioned the speakers to her I had that hesitation type tone in my voice. Something akin to "This really awesome opportunity came up but I don't know if I can manage it.." And yet she was so eager and enthusiastic with her response it quickly changed my tune, "So we're going on a road trip???!!! Those look awesome and would be a shoe-in for the living room!"

I wish I could say my dad got me into Lansing stuff, and I guess he did.. He was always somewhat into audio, but not to the extent I've fallen into it. He's never done a preamp + amplifier arrangement, for example. To him, Bose makes good products.... But, it was when I got a set of Northridge 6" bookshelves to "compliment" the Bose 301's he got me for Christmas the year before that I realized how much better they were over the more expensive product. I then took notice of the brand and became fascinated with their history and immediately fell in love with the appearance of the L220's. I was probably only 16 at the time. Anyway, that's a long winded conversation but yes, I am trying to get her daughters into music and the equipment behind it. They're already well versed in bands like the Eagles, Alice Cooper, The Beatles and such. If I could part anything into them, it would be my love for music.

Hmm, all the reading I've done suggests the "C" variant to be superior to many. I can't say as I've never heard the early versions, but am digging these. I do love the midrange on them, something these do better than the XPL's. Although it is a bit "thick" if you will. Could also be that they just reveal poor source material like you said. Very eager to try the Aquaplas coated ti diaphragms, but I wonder what Ken wants for a set. Also curious to know what he does to get that stuff to stick to the ti. Being that my background is surface treatment and paint, I wonder if the vibrations over time will cause that stuff to flake off. Does he rough up the surface any before applying the Aquaplas?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    You know, when I first mentioned the speakers to her I had that hesitation type tone in my voice.
    Something akin to "This really awesome opportunity came up but I don't know if I can manage it.." And yet she was so eager and enthusiastic
    with her response it quickly changed my tune, "So we're going on a road trip???!!! Those look awesome and would be a shoe-in for the living room!"
    Yep, Emma is much like that - she loves it when I am happy, and I am happy and blessed!
    Having a spouse that supports our hobby, even a hobby as crazy as this, makes life grand!
    And honestly, when we are happy, we're a lot more fun to be around, aren't we?

I've been sharing all the details of my newest speaker project with her,
    the 2 or 3 way build with JBL 2216nd woofers with the JohnW wooden horns,
    and I've been working towards a lower budget for the cabinet build, yet
    she's encouraged me to go a high $ route to get them right & make sure they are keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yep, Emma is much like that - she loves it when I am happy, and I am happy and blessed!
    Having a spouse that supports our hobby, even a hobby as crazy as this, makes life grand!
    And honestly, when we are happy, we're a lot more fun to be around, aren't we?

I've been sharing all the details of my newest speaker project with her,
    the 2 or 3 way build with JBL 2216nd woofers with the JohnW wooden horns,
    and I've been working towards a lower budget for the cabinet build, yet
    she's encouraged me to go a high $ route to get them right & make sure they are keepers.
    Haha yes, we are much more fun to be around when we're on that happy high. Same goes for her. I'll admit that when I reflect on past relationships, I feel so fortunate that she is always laughing and smiling around me. It's been almost two years and I am still floored by that, love to see her that way. I mean, being an idiot mixed with goofball means I'm typically good for a chuckle here and there but never considered my company enjoyable to the extent she finds it to be. I also hadn't purchased anything audio related while we've been together. So when I brought those 813C's up to her I expected something along the lines of, "Hmm, those are overkill and they're really far away. How would we even get them here? What if you don't like them?" But her response blew me away and now here we are.

Glad your spouse is equally supportive. Sounds like a cool build, do you have a thread going for them?

Thread Information