Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown CTs Fan Mod

Crown CTs Fan Mod

Hi all.

I have a stack of Crown CTs1200 and CTs2000 (LCR+subs). So far they have been placed in an equipment room so fan noise has not been an issue. In my new room I must place all equipment in the theater so now the situation is different.

Have any of you tried fan modding these amps? Put in a more silent fan and reduce the RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Hi all.

I have a stack of Crown CTs1200 and CTs2000 (LCR+subs). So far they have been placed in an equipment room so fan noise has not been an issue. In my new room I must place all equipment in the theater so now the situation is different.

Have any of you tried fan modding these amps? Put in a more silent fan and reduce the RPM.
    I have a BGW amp with 2 speed fan. Problem was the fan only worked on HIGH (noisy) speed. Just attached a 120v muffin fan through a rheostat behind factory fan (outside of case) and can now adjust to whisper quiet, but amp stays cool

will yours run OK with the fans off ? some do..
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

There's many choices of low noise fans on the market these days.

Just check with mouser or Newark. It might help to do a little google work to. I'm sure someone out there has found a fan that works and is more quite.

Nick

Hi,

Here is a Noctua silent fan in a CTS4200.

Kind regards

//Robert

Name:  IMG_1173.jpg
Views: 6258
Size:  153.6 KBName:  IMG_1167.jpg
Views: 4844
Size:  165.9 KB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Thermo-Fan To Keep Your Amp Cool

Fan replacement

Just swapped out original fans for some that where claimed silent.
    Really no difference...
    I guess a lot of the noise is actually turbulence of the air entering and exiting the case

Sebackman: I could not find any noctua 24v fans?

Hi johnwholst,

In the CTS4200 and CTS8200 and I think the CTS600 (don't remember, can check tomorrow) there are 12V fans. I do not have a CTS2000. Check for Papst brand fan's, they are the best in my view. They should carry 24v fans.

If the airflow is noisy in the back you can also try to cut out the staped mesh in the rear of the amp and mount a round standard computer fan protector on the outside. They won't make any noice. I have done that in a few installation where the square stamped mesh in the back created noise.

Kind regards
    //RoB

CTS 1200/2000 voltage

Hi Rob
    I have a 1200 and a 2000. They both have 24v fans.
    Thanks for the tip. I will do a search for those.

Yes cutting away away the mesh should really help.
    These amps are lovely sounding, so I probably never gonna sell them anyway.
    Just blasting away now with cts2000 on a pair of 2225s!

What is the size? Noctua makes RPM reducers that go in the fan lead, you might be able to get a low RPM 12V fan and put a reducer in the lead (probably just a resistor, I never used them but have fans that came with them) to get by on 24v.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    What is the size? Noctua makes RPM reducers that go in the fan lead, you might be able to get a low RPM 12V fan and put a reducer in the lead (probably just a resistor, I never used them but have fans that came with them) to get by on 24v.
    Both cts1200 and 2000 takes 80x80x25mm fans.
    I don't think these amps need high airflow for domestic use. Ran the 2000 a whole evening with fans disconnected, and on fairly high levels. It was warm to the touch when I went to bed but far from hot.

papst does the trick

Just installed Papst 8414ngl fans in my cts1200 and it's excellent! Just as quiet as a fairly new laptop. I can just hear them from listening position, but with quiet music 50dB or so, they disappear completely.
    Highly recommended mod!

J.A.F.S.

I Agree

I have always used the Papst line of fans for replacements in my BGW amps.

Quote Originally Posted by johanwholst View Post
    Just installed Papst 8414ngl fans in my cts1200 and it's excellent! Just as quiet as a fairly new laptop. I can just hear them from listening position, but with quiet music 50dB or so, they disappear completely.
    Highly recommended mod!
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Brilliant.

I always use Papst for heavy duty and Noctua othervise. The fan's in the CTS 4200 and CTS600 är 12v so there Noctua works fine.

Kind regards
    //RoB

Thanks again Rob for the tips! it's like getting a new amplifier, and I now realize how annoying the original fan noise was before the change

And my goodness how good the CTS amp sound with 2216nd... next step would be to try 1200 on D2 and 2000 on 2216nd. Just need to change the fuse for the living room first to 13A slow blow. 10A fast does not like the startup inrush from these amps

12v vs 24v fans

Dear all,

As per above the fans in the CTS600 and CTS1200 (probably also CTS2000 and CTS3000) are 24v fans, not 12v as in the newer CTS4200a (one 12v 80mm fan).

The older 4200 (not "a") runs two 12v 60mm fans. CTS8200 runs 3pcs 12v 60mm fans and a single 12v 80mm fan.

However in CTS600 and above there are two fans in each amp and the fan controller runs both fans in electrical parallel, ie not for each channel. Hence two 12v Noctua (or other) fans can be connected in series to accept 24v from either of the two fan connectors. The fan connectors are electrically the same but located in different places on the mainboard.

The original fans in my CTS 600 and CTS 1200 are Mechatronics F8025X 24V and runs at 4800rpm @ 39 db noise with 53CFM / 90m3h @ 260mA each.

The Noctua NF-R8 Redux 1800 12V runs at 1800rpm @ 17db noise with 54m3h @ 110mA each.

I understand that 180m3h is more than the 108m2h I’m getting from the Noctua fans, but the CTS-series are manufactured for installations in potentially high ambient temperatures.

I do think given that my amps very seldom gets warm, even after being run hard (powering subs), I do think 108m3H would be enough for cooling full load unless the ambient temperature is very high.

So I’m now mounting two 12v Noctua fans in series in my CTS600 andCTS1200's. :-)

Kind regards
    //RoB

Thread Information