Thread: BMS drivers vs 802 G Altec

BMS drivers vs 802 G Altec

Doing a lot of reading on this forum about Altec model 19's and i was reading a thread that was mentioning BMS drivers to replace the 802 G in model 19's because of their high frequency extension. So i was reading about the BMS drivers they seem to spec out very good it was interesting to read they lighten the diaphragm by flattening it out instead of making it a dome this reduced the surface area and therefore made it lighter and they it made out of polyester. The first time i heard a diaphragm that was not made of metal was in a 15" G 610 Jensen triaxle the tweeter on that speaker has a linen diaphgram and i remember it to be one of the best tweeters i had ever heard.

So have any model 19 owners in the forum used this driver? and if so how do you like it?

No personal experience with the BMS drivers, but in looking at the specs for various other possible replacements, I came across the Radian 450PB and 475PB. Check out the frequency response graphs. And a recommended crossover of 800Hz. Two bolt. Aluminum dome. Best of all, very reasonably priced. Once I get my current Altec build up and running, I'm planning to try the Radian.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ions-44920.pdf

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    No personal experience with the BMS drivers, but in looking at the specs for various other possible replacements, I came across the Radian 450PB and 475PB. Check out the frequency response graphs. And a recommended crossover of 800Hz. Two bolt. Aluminum dome. Best of all, very reasonably priced. Once I get my current Altec build up and running, I'm planning to try the Radian.

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ions-44920.pdf

GeeDeeEmm
    The Radian do look nice and good price. The BMS were getting my attention because of what a well respected & knowledgeable forum member said about them and i read online a lot of professional sound contractors have been switching from JBL to the BMS. I was also looking at the Faital Pro HF 146 1.4" these drivers are almost perfectly flat curve on a tractrix horn and i already own 800hz traxtrix. But i think i am still leaning on the BMS. Check out this BMS driver http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_4590 these things look amazing a 2" coaxial driver with a 300hz recommended crossover and they play out to 20000khz they look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Altec-Lansing View Post
    The Radian do look nice and good price. The BMS were getting my attention because of what a well respected & knowledgeable forum member said about them and i read online a lot of professional sound contractors have been switching from JBL to the BMS. I was also looking at the Faital Pro HF 146 1.4" these drivers are almost perfectly flat curve on a tractrix horn and i already own 800hz traxtrix. But i think i am still leaning on the BMS. Check out this BMS driver http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php?id=bms_4590 these things look amazing a 2" coaxial driver with a 300hz recommended crossover and they play out to 20000khz they look amazing.

Oh my! With the BMS 4590 we are stepping into the new age of compression driver development - a two-way compression driver with usable frequency response from 300 - 20,000Hz. The concept is wonderful. Wouldn't you love to experiment with that one a bit? Can you envision one of these coaxial drivers mounted coaxially on a 15" or 18" woofer for complete point-source coherence? Are you listening bms??????

GeeDeeEmm

Oh my! With the BMS 4590 we are stepping into the new age of compression driver development - a two-way compression driver with usable frequency response from 300 - 20,000Hz. The concept is wonderful. Wouldn't you love to experiment with that one a bit? Can you envision one of these coaxial drivers mounted coaxially on a 15" or 18" woofer for complete point-source coherence? Are you listening bms??????

GeeDeeEmm
    They already do.

http://www.bmsspeakers.com/index.php...um_transducers

Al

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Pretty interesting beast wonder how it sounds? My first speakers when i was 14 were a point source Altec 604's

Quote Originally Posted by allen mueller View Post
    Well, great minds do think alike All that speaker needs is a great box and an extremely talented crossover designer (or, better yet, active crossover). I can't find any pricing for the driver itself or for the triaxial speaker. Cost?

GeeDeeEmm

Well, great minds do think alike All that speaker needs is a great box and an extremely talented crossover designer (or, better yet, active crossover). I can't find any pricing for the driver itself or for the triaxial speaker. Cost?

GeeDeeEmm

I found these Coaxial BMS 4594ND drivers on ebay $400.00 a pair used that’s a steel they are about $700.00 each new. So tempting at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Altec-Lansing View Post
    Doing a lot of reading on this forum about Altec model 19's and i was reading a thread that was mentioning BMS drivers to replace the 802 G in model 19's because of their high frequency extension. So i was reading about the BMS drivers they seem to spec out very good it was interesting to read they lighten the diaphragm by flattening it out instead of making it a dome this reduced the surface area and therefore made it lighter and they it made out of polyester. The first time i heard a diaphragm that was not made of metal was in a 15" G 610 Jensen triaxle the tweeter on that speaker has a linen diaphgram and i remember it to be one of the best tweeters i had ever heard.

So have any model 19 owners in the forum used this driver? and if so how do you like it?
    Hello, yes I have tried t substitute original 802 G drivers with BMS 4590 ( after reading all thread by Zilch on them) and it's simply not worth the effort and money spent. Although BMS 4590 specs looks great they simply did not play the music. Nothing near 802 drivers performance. I got rid off BMS quickly....

Thread Information