Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL 4345 build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL 4345 build

I am getting ready to build the cabs for my speakers and was looking over the plans submitted by Mr. Reissen. At the bottom of the thread he adds that all joints are factory locking miter but I don't see that in the plans the joints are rabbited. I don't have access to a 10in. table saw and if I am off just a small amount those miter joints are not going to fit whereas the other joints will be more forgiving Since I am going to cover with veneer anyway what the heck. Any input on these joints?

These are my tools........Skill77 with a very good blade, good straight edge, clamps, good router, good skills, glue and screws.

I am also looking to build this cab, sometime in the future?? There is a router bit that does the joints you are looking for. Another option is to have a cabinet builder do the joints. I will try and find the make/model # of router. Good luck to you!

There are a bunch of locking miter bits that can be used, it's probably best to pick out the single bit instead of two. (cheaper) All you need to do is change the direction of the cut and you have the miter.

So far today. baffles cut out, sides, tops and bottoms and ends mitered. Not too happy with ply, should have gotten the MDF with the plywood facing it makes better miters but when they are glued and clamped no one will know.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    So far today. baffles cut out, sides, tops and bottoms and ends mitered. Not too happy with ply, should have gotten the MDF with the plywood facing it makes better miters but when they are glued and clamped no one will know.
    Don't worry about the plywood. You will sand it before painting. Way much better than MDF. When done, you'll be so happy!
    C

Looking good.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Looking good!

Tom

Todays progress. I primed and painted the backs and the fronts, install most of the batting and made the supports for the 2425J's. I'm not happy with the blue but they said they made it a to the code I gave them. Am I going to cry, Hell no, these aren't original JBL's and I am more interested in how they sound.

Todays progress. I primed and painted the backs and the fronts, install most of the batting and made the supports for the 2425J's. I'm not happy with the blue but they said they made it a to the code I gave them. Am I going to cry, Hell no, these aren't original JBL's and I am more interested in how they sound.

Do you want the code of mine? It's from Home Depot. Few were very happy!
    c

RAL 5007 is the same wherever you go it's all in their paint computers. It looks a lot better this morning in the light than it did last night!

RAL 5007 is the same wherever you go it's all in their paint computers. It looks a lot better this morning in the light than it did last night!
    Yes! You have a big difference between day and night lights!
    But in case here it is!

I have the trim on, glued, brad nailed, 30 degrees. I am styling now. a little counter sinking and some Walnut fill, I bought a 50 gallon drum just in case. some sanding and the finish. some touch up on the paint where the finish router bit touched the paint and I will be done except to install the drivers & Network. Whoops, I forgot I have to spray the grills and order the grill cloth.

You're doing one heck of a nice job! Can't wait to hear what you think of them.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

There is more than meets the eye in building a pair of these. I have 5 + full days spent and that does not count the assembly of the sides. There is a lot of work into these and a lot of it is pretty precise stuff. I'm going to pour some more BV and fire up a Cohiba (Cuban).

Got the first coat of finish on today. I'm going to use two coats of gloss poly and one coat of Satin.

Thread Information