Thread: I Am Hellbent on Trying a Driver/Horn as Mid in a Jubal. Which Driver/Horn Combo?

I Am Hellbent on Trying a Driver/Horn as Mid in a Jubal. Which Driver/Horn Combo?

Call it a Mini-L300, or whatever. I have 2420s, 2425s, 2450s, 2452SLs, and 276NDs, as possible driver candidates. Due to depth constrictions, the 2420/long horn combo is probably precluded.

I am willing to replace diaphragms to Truextent, etc. I have short horns, 2:1 adapters, 2:1.4 adapters. My question: What would be the optimum driver/horn combo for such an experiment?

I have multiple options -- both active and passive-- for crossovers, so that is not a concern IMHO.

For the Jubal cab, 10" to 12" is probably max overall length limit.

Your best driver, diaphragm, and horn combination recommendations please? Example: 2452SL, 1.4:2, 2308 horn/lens combo.

I the realize this post reveals my extreme ignorance and lack of understanding wrt what 'cannot be done and shouldn't be attempted'. And I am approriately embarrrassed. So can we get past those obvious replies from the 'get go'?

Technically challenged,

Greg

Maybe something like a PT-F95HF. It's pretty short, a 2452 will bolt right to it, no lens required, and the Econowave guys seemed to really enjoy it - which is kind of what a horn loaded Jubal would be.

The baffle on an L65 is going to get pretty crowded pretty quick, not sure you'd have real estate for much of any horn there without doing away with the tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by cgregory4 View Post
    Call it a Mini-L300, or whatever. I have 2420s, 2425s, 2450s, 2452SLs, and 276NDs, as possible driver candidates. Due to depth constrictions, the 2420/long horn combo is probably precluded.

I am willing to replace diaphragms to Truextent, etc. I have short horns, 2:1 adapters, 2:1.4 adapters. My question: What would be the optimum driver/horn combo for such an experiment?

I have multiple options -- both active and passive-- for crossovers, so that is not a concern IMHO.

For the Jubal cab, 10" to 12" is probably max overall length limit.

Your best driver, diaphragm, and horn combination recommendations please? Example: 2452SL, 1.4:2, 2308 horn/lens combo.

I the realize this post reveals my extreme ignorance and lack of understanding wrt what 'cannot be done and shouldn't be attempted'. And I am appropriately embarrassed. So can we get past those obvious replies from the 'get go'?

Technically challenged,

Greg
    Hi cgregory4,

So 2311+2308 and 2450 seems to me possible solution using it from 800Hz, and 2405 over 10kHz.
    I would expect that PT-H95HF + 2451 (or 2450-1.5) and 2405 over 10kHz, can be used from 800Hz too.

reards
    ivica

Good Morning, Greg,

WOW!! You have a fun project in mind, and one that may work out, too! I checked the measurements for using a 2420 + 2307 horn, and their combined total length is 12 3/8". But, I don't know if that measurement is taking into account the behind the baffle length, or not. I can dig out the 4333 cabs down in the Hobbit Hole, and measure that for you, later today, if that would help. I have NO idea what the L65 offers you in terms of behind the baffle depth, as I don't have one to measure. I've always enjoyed the sweet sound from the 2420's, and think that might work out with the L65, IF that setup will fit. Don't know if the 2308 lens will fit behind the L65 grill, either, but if you already have the Jubal, you can check that measurement and see. Let me know if you want me to take the measurement of the 4333's, behind the baffle, and I'll get that done today. When things slow down a bit, I would love to call you again, if that would work out for you. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Inside front to back is 10 7/16". I'm also interested since I have a great pair of L65 too. But I wonder what the benefit could be by padding down the horn so much. As it is, I've got both tweeter and mid down between 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by gasfan View Post
    Inside front to back is 10 7/16". I'm also interested since I have a great pair of L65 too. But I wonder what the benefit could be by padding down the horn so much. As it is, I've got both tweeter and mid down between 2 and 3.
    I cannot answer that question, sir. I am thinking the small size/weight of the 2452SL lends itself to solid suspension via the front baffle. Also, the length the grill is extended from the baffle allows for a sort of lens -- maybe modified in width due to the lack of area on the baffle. However, the real puzzlement is the 1 1/2" input horn. It could be 8" long probably -- but I don't know if one exists.

Greg

The internal depth may only be 28 cm.

The 2311 2 inch exponential horn might work with 2 inch Neo driver but will will take a lot if effort to get a better result than the stock system.

If you could find a 093ti dome driver I would look at that first or even a 2104 cone.

Ian, what are your thoughts on performance differences between the 122A and the 128H-1 once the crossovers are modded with the correct inductors to accommodate the 128H-1 in the L65A? Also, iyo, how would the 2203 fare in comparison?

Don't mean to hijack but it seems pertinent in relation to the general theme in taking the L65 as far as possible.

From what l have seen in posts on similar questions the 128h 1 was 4312.

I have not compared the 2214 ( used in the 4425 and Centuary Gold) but l would say both are more advanced than the 128.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    From what l have seen in posts on similar questions the 128h 1 was 4312.

I have not compared the 2214 ( used in the 4425 and Centuary Gold) but l would say both are more advanced than the 128.
    I was wondering about the 2203.

Thread Information