Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl d130 + le175+1217-1290.

Jbl d130 + le175+1217-1290.

Greetings, JBL Friends,

I have a band reunion coming up in early October, and I'd like to update one of the old vocal monitors that I used to use "back in the day", when I played professionally. I have several monitor cabinets, of various internal volumes, that could be used, most of them cut to fit a single 12" JBL (K120 or 2130). One larger one is cut for a 15" speaker, and a horn, and I've been thinking about putting something together for that larger cabinet. As you can see in the title, I have a single D130, and also an LE175 compression driver, a JBL LX10 crossover, and a 1217-1290 "potato masher" horn/lens combo. Seems to me that this setup should work well, even though the LX10 is really meant to be used with an LE14A. I was thinking, if the D130 would fit into the larger cabinet, I could run it full range, and then use the LX10 and horn/lens combo for the frequencies about 1,500 HZ.

What do you think about my plans? Will they work out OK? Or, should I use a 12" JBL in place of the "15"? I can take and post photos of the various combos I can use, cabinet-wise, if that would help you. I look forward to your comments and suggestions, and thank you in advance for sharing such with me.

This band reunion has blossomed into around 110 people, from various bands that all played in the San Diego nightclubs in the 1970's and 1980's period. We'll have lots of horns, several outstanding rhythm sections, and lots of singers. I'll be singing lead vocals for a half dozen songs, and also playing my congas and other Latin percussion. I'm really excited about this, even though I've not done any modern music for many, many years. Thanks, again, for your thoughts on my monitor update, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, JBL Friends,

I have a band reunion coming up in early October, and I'd like to update one of the old vocal monitors that I used to use "back in the day", when I played professionally. I have several monitor cabinets, of various internal volumes, that could be used, most of them cut to fit a single 12" JBL (K120 or 2130). One larger one is cut for a 15" speaker, and a horn, and I've been thinking about putting something together for that larger cabinet. As you can see in the title, I have a single D130, and also an LE175 compression driver, a JBL LX10 crossover, and a 1217-1290 "potato masher" horn/lens combo. Seems to me that this setup should work well, even though the LX10 is really meant to be used with an LE14A. I was thinking, if the D130 would fit into the larger cabinet, I could run it full range, and then use the LX10 and horn/lens combo for the frequencies about 1,500 HZ.

What do you think about my plans? Will they work out OK? Or, should I use a 12" JBL in place of the "15"? I can take and post photos of the various combos I can use, cabinet-wise, if that would help you. I look forward to your comments and suggestions, and thank you in advance for sharing such with me.

This band reunion has blossomed into around 110 people, from various bands that all played in the San Diego nightclubs in the 1970's and 1980's period. We'll have lots of horns, several outstanding rhythm sections, and lots of singers. I'll be singing lead vocals for a half dozen songs, and also playing my congas and other Latin percussion. I'm really excited about this, even though I've not done any modern music for many, many years. Thanks, again, for your thoughts on my monitor update, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hey Doc - could you beg borrow or steal an active crossover? It would sound a lot better than trying to cobble crossovers in such short notice. As you know, the D130 and LE14A are opposite speaker types so you really gotta get the correct crossover to have a chance. At best, those old crossovers were no rose. I think you need a N1200 / 3120 for the D130 + 175. Sounds like fun! I still play a bit but my chops are non existent at this point! We had a giant Kenton blow-out here in Detroit a few months ago and brought in guys from all over the planet in order to cut the stuff - including John Harner who still has serious chops! Mike

Hey, Mannermusic,

Many thanks for your thoughts on my monitor update. Yesterday, I dug out the larger monitor cabinet and saw that it was cut for a 12" JBL speaker, and not the 15" that I thought I remembered. Plenty of room in the box for any of several horn/driver combinations, too, but the box has been ported (rectangular port). I'll have to run the formulas for my K120's, or 2130's, and see if the porting will work. I used to use them in sealed boxes. As to crossover, I do have a couple that would work, including an old Crown VFX-2A, and a much newer Ashly XR1001 (USA-made). I could run either with an older Crown CD300A, or a smaller amp, and that should work. I could use a D150, instead, using one half for the lows and one half for the highs. I seem to recall that amps might not like being split like that, but for the short time I'd be singing, it shouldn't be a problem, I'm thinking.

We'll see how it turns out, and much depends on how much time I can get, in order to modify the cab I choose. If I had a 2402H, I could use one of the 12" transducers and the tweet, in a smaller cabinet. But, as I don't have one of those, that is a mute point. Thanks, again, for your thoughts, and suggestions. Much appreciated. I'll see what sounds good, and go from there. When the gig is over, I'll post a few photos here, with a report on how the monitor worked for me. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Doc,

How 'bout a 2404 with the baby cheek radiator? If I remember right, that was the HF basis of many a 2-way portable rig. I got 'em, if you want 'em.

Greg

Hey, Greg,

Thanks for the kind offer! What are you asking for one, if I may inquire? Does it have a proper JBL diaphragm in it? Thanks, again, for the offer, and I'll talk to you soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I wonder about encountering feedback problems with the 100°x100° coverage of that horn, compared to the 40° conical dispersion of the 2402H?

Hey, Greg,

Thanks for the kind offer! What are you asking for one, if I may inquire? Does it have a proper JBL diaphragm in it? Thanks, again, for the offer, and I'll talk to you soon. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    If by 'proper', you mean original, then I believe "Yes." is your answer. I certainly don't need compensation of any sort. I will just pick out a pair, make sure they 'ohm out' OK, and FedEx em to you. Interested?

Greg

Doc,

I cannot speak to the 'feedback' question. Every single person on this forum is smarter than I. Again, my only knowledge comes from seeing a bunch of these critters 'pardnered' with 12" JBLs for road rigs.

Greg

Greg,

That is a very generous offer, and one that I cannot refuse. Thank you, very much!! I'll send you my contact info in a Private Message, and we can further discuss all this. Thank you, again, and I'll talk to you soon! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Greg,

That is a very generous offer, and one that I cannot refuse. Thank you, very much!! I'll send you my contact info in a Private Message, and we can further discuss all this. Thank you, again, and I'll talk to you soon! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Doc,

Certainly, and my pleasure! I'll FedEx them tomorrow to you and PM the tracking info!

Greg

PS -- I have a couple 2202s I'll send, as well, if you want to try different 12"ers.

Evening, Greg,

You are TOO generous, my friend!! Did you give my question about working up a trade, any thought? The 2202's are tempting, but I was thinking that they were more setup for systems like the 4350, isn't that right? It seems that the K120, or 2130 would be better in a vocal monitor, as they offer a clean, bright, extended mid-range. For that reason, I would think they would be much better for this application. However, if we can work up a trade, it might be fun to try the 2202's in another sort of system. Please let me know if you are seeking anything, or I can send you a list of goodies I have that I can send you in return for the goodies that you have so kindly offered me. Let me know if there is something I might have, and I'll check my stuff, and see what I can send your way. Thank you, again, for your kindness, and I look forward to talking to you further about the possibilities. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Doc,

I have been unusually blessed. I should 'pass it on' given my time is short. I just saw the 2202Hs stacked in the garage and haven't a clue whether, or not, they are helpful re your reunion. Just know it would be my pleasure to assist.

Greg

Greg,

I'm going to respond to your comments in a PM. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Doc

Morning, Greg,

Please check your Private Messages, and reply when you can. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Doc

Morning, Greg,

Please check your Private Messages, and reply when you can. Many thanks, and God Bless!

Doc
    Hello Doc,

Sorry for the late response. Please check your messages.

The 2202Hs: I seem to remember they are the same sort of driver, ie. combined with a tweeter in a 2-way and used in many a gig. Of course, I might also be totally wrong.

Others might want to comment on the 2404/2202H combo. Anyone who does comment will certainly know more than I.

Greg

Evening, Greg,

I'm so glad to hear from you, and very much appreciate your message in the PM section! I've replied just now, and will talk to you soon. Got to get back to work right now. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

Thread Information