Thread: JBL 4429 - Pre Power combo

JBL 4429 - Pre Power combo

Hi all,

Just gotten my 4429 last week. Currently driving with an 2a3 SET ( 4w ) fed directly by a DAC.
    Yes it's able to drive.

I was thinking of going for Pre Power configuration ( simpler )
    as compared to Pre Power ( Bi-Amp ). 2a3 highs and mids and another Solid State Power as I need another crossover.

Pls let me know your suggestions and thoughts. Thanks

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I am using preamp McIntosh C48 with a Crown DCi 2/600N amplifier to my 4429(currently driving a pair of JBL4365). There is no point to bi-amp these speakers because it sounds better if going fullrange. Have also tested bi-wire connection, still, single wire sounds better here as well.

You can look here.....had before McIntosh MC252 amplifier.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...y-new-JBL-4429

Quote Originally Posted by snip3r View Post
    Hi all,

Just gotten my 4429 last week. Currently driving with an 2a3 SET ( 4w ) fed directly by a DAC.
    Yes it's able to drive.

I was thinking of going for Pre Power configuration ( simpler )
    as compared to Pre Power ( Bi-Amp ). 2a3 highs and mids and another Solid State Power as I need another crossover.

Pls let me know your suggestions and thoughts. Thanks
    Are you looking for high end or pro audio...

I suppose you could use Mark Levinson amps and preamp, because that is what Harman uses.

Levinson is expensive though. Their cheapest amp starts at $8k USD.

McIntosh is good but slightly expensive, not as much as Levinson though.

There's also Pass Labs, which I like because even the A/B models run Class A. But they get hot! Price wise, it's all over the map, ranging from $5k to $80k

A cheaper alternative that many like is Parasound and Bryston. Even cheaper (but not recommended by me) is Rotel.

I talked to a JBL engineer via the Synthesis customer support email, and he recommended 300 wpc or higher for my S4700s.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Are you looking for high end or pro audio...

I suppose you could use Mark Levinson amps and preamp, because that is what Harman uses.

Levinson is expensive though. Their cheapest amp starts at $8k USD.

McIntosh is good but slightly expensive, not as much as Levinson though.

There's also Pass Labs, which I like because even the A/B models run Class A. But they get hot! Price wise, it's all over the map, ranging from $5k to $80k

A cheaper alternative that many like is Parasound and Bryston. Even cheaper (but not recommended by me) is Rotel.

I talked to a JBL engineer via the Synthesis customer support email, and he recommended 300 wpc or higher for my S4700s.
    I'm looking at Crown XLS maybe the 1500w as it's affordable and McTwins said that it is better than his McIntosh power amp.

and also will consider the Bryston as what you recommended.

I'm in the midst of building a DHT Preamp and will combo with it.

Initally I wanted to use the SET for highs and a SS/Digital Amp for the lows due to the higher damping factor but I don't think it's recommended as there is still a passive crossover on my 4429 and I know it's difficult ( not impossible ) to remove it before I use active crossovers.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?35985-How-Convert-passive-to-active-bi-amp-speaker&highlight=crossover

Mctwins
    I'm looking at Crown XLS maybe the 1500w as it's affordable and McTwins said that it is better than his McIntosh power amp.

Initally I wanted to use the SET for highs and a SS/Digital Amp for the lows due to the higher damping factor but I don't think it's recommended as there is still a passive crossover on my 4429 and I know it's difficult ( not impossible ) to remove it before I use active crossovers.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?35985-How-Convert-passive-to-active-bi-amp-speaker&highlight=crossover
    Hallo!

Hmm...where did I say that XLS sounds better than McIntosh? To me, the McIntosh I had sounded very good with the 4429. If I compare XLS to DCi amps, DCi wins.

I would choose the newer Drivecore XLS2002 to drive the 4429. Good amplifier contra price

It is totally pointless to bi-amp or even remove the x-overs in the speakers. The end result will still sound the same. If you want to bi-amp use an active x-over and keep the passive network intakt. Or, change your speakers to speakers that is intended for bi-amp config like JBL Cinema Screen Arrays or any other JBL pro speakers with Bi-amp capability.

The 4429 is not a sound reinforcement speakers.

Fair enough. Also, go to Google and type ATI 6002. This is a very nice amp for $4k USD. It could be very well be better than Bryston or Parasound.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information