Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is this 4312 mod?

what is this 4312 mod?

Just curious on this one. Someone's selling a pair of 4312's they've modded the woofer as shown. I presume they've added large alnico magnets or non magnetic ferrous material to the back? Anyone seen this, does it do anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Just curious on this one. Someone's selling a pair of 4312's they've modded the woofer as shown. I presume they've added large alnico magnets or non magnetic ferrous material to the back? Anyone seen this, does it do anything?
    Hi,

may be in order to reduce driver magnet magnetic field influence to nearby CRT-TV or monitor.

regards
    ivica

I'm pretty sure they were claiming it improves the speakers in some way. I can only think it is to strengthen the magnetic field or optimise it in some way. Perhaps an alternative to recharging the magnets?
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi,

may be in order to reduce driver magnet magnetic field influence to nearby CRT-TV or monitor.

regards
    ivica

So the seller says "Modified woofer via professional mastering studio in Japan"...I'll ask him what he means

I dont think it would be to recharge the woofer. Like you mentioned I think it would increase the strength of the magnet but I am by no means technically minded so I have no idea.

They are ferrite drivers so they shouldn't be prone to demagnetization. I have seen them on Gumtree for awhile now and am glad you posted them up here as I was wondering what the "mods" are also.

I have owned a pair of 4312a's and I think they are priced relatively high. Much better JBL's to be had for the 1k asking price. The woofer and crossover are the weak link in those speakers. A set of 4411/4412 would embarrass them.

Shun Mook ?

Didn't speak to the guy but perhaps they are "Bucking magnets"

"Bucking magnets mounted on the back of the motor system are used to achieve semi magnetic shielding and/or higher magnetic flux density in the air gap"

http://www.scan-speak.dk/magnets.htm

Ha just took a look at Shun mook never heard of it before...interesting but they started to lose me a bit with the ebony pendulum that channels mind energy ha.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Shun Mook ?
    D

Did you check out their prices In the Hi Fi trade Shun Mook was a euphemism for anything inexplicable , weird or plain tweaky.

Familiar
    Cannot remember the name of the "technology" for the life of me..................I am searching now
    A guy I used to have work done by was an "authorized" installer, so I am working from that
    Claimed to be some derivative of submarine technology related to cancellation
    A few folks were peddling it during the late '90s..........fairly obscure "tweeker" stuff
    That MAY be what's in that photo, what I am trying to dig up was an add on type thing like that.........same as those magic deals that stereofool reviewed once that you glued onto the backs of your speaker cabinets
    I will see if I can dig it up

Of course what you have in you photo may also just be some sort of bucking magnet(s)

*Edit/Update: FOUND the mod/product(s) I was thinking bout being associated with my "acquaintance" (charlatan); a totally different line of ware from the magnets thing..............I'll keep digging

I presume they've added large alnico magnets or non magnetic ferrous material to the back?
    I am not following you here; "non magnetic ferrous material"? "large alnico magnets"?

Is it magnetic or not? (or do you know yet/for certain?)

Still can't find the one I am looking for but did run across these long time charlatans
    Now they're peddling their magic to the automotive world!
    Those plugs may be another interpretation of this "technology":
    http://www.shakti-innovations.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Still can't find the one I am looking for but did run across these long time charlatans
    Now they're peddling their magic to the automotive world!
    Those plugs may be another interpretation of this "technology":
    What ?? You don't use Shakti Hallographs ?? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...allograph.html

IF Mikey and that many other Stereofool reviewers like them, they must be GREAT ..

The following reviewers endorse SHAKTI: (and others)

Martin Colloms (Stereophile)
    Robert Deutch (Stereophile)
    Jonathan Scull (Stereophile)
    Chip Stern (Stereophile)
    Steven Stone (Stereophile)
    Sam Tellig (Stereophile)
    Barry Willis (Stereophile)
    Shannon Dickson (Stereophile)
    Michael Fremer (Stereophile)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    What ?? You don't use Shakti Hallographs ?? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/s...allograph.html

IF Mikey and that many other Stereofool reviewers like them, they must be GREAT ..

The following reviewers endorse SHAKTI: (and others)

Martin Colloms (Stereophile)
    Robert Deutch (Stereophile)
    Jonathan Scull (Stereophile)
    Chip Stern (Stereophile)
    Steven Stone (Stereophile)
    Sam Tellig (Stereophile)
    Barry Willis (Stereophile)
    Shannon Dickson (Stereophile)
    Michael Fremer (Stereophile)
    Nah, I use the 3 coins strategically placed on the front edge of the box poor man's version.....................but I'm savin' up and hope to have mine real real soon...............(which I was going to post in your "things on top of JBLs thread)

And hey pal, you left out Steve, world famous tape cutter and EQ operator......................that's why I'm buying mine, 'cause Steve gives 'em the thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Nah, I use the 3 coins strategically placed on the front edge of the box poor man's version.....................but I'm savin' up and hope to have mine real real soon...............(which I was going to post in your "things on top of JBLs thread)

And hey pal, you left out Steve, world famous tape cutter and EQ operator......................that's why I'm buying mine, 'cause Steve gives 'em the thumbs up!
    Hey the Hallographs are a bargain at only $400 each ... 'cides you'd be placing them wrong on top (with all the junk), EVERYBODY knows they go behind the speakers.

Make sure you get a "mirror image" pair or the magic won't get aligned properly

"At a grand, a pair the Hallographs can seem pretty spendy. As you can see and hear, value is a personal thing. I bought mine used so I can't relate to how much the retail hit hurts but I can say that my ears don't. I am hooked on the
    liquidity and persuasive presence they coax from the string of boxes in my system. The return on investment is a no-brainer for me. As for you know who, the significant other approval factor is even less than a non-issue. She likes them! I think it's fair to say that we both recommend them."
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information