Thread: Buying used JBL diaphragms?

Buying used JBL diaphragms?

Greetings, All,

I have always shied away from getting used diaphragms, as you really have no idea what use history they have had, or endured. However, with the prices of new JBL diaphragms continuing to climb through the roof, I'm beginning to wonder if it worth taking a chance, by buying used JBL 'hragms that appears to be in good shape, and have decent DC resistance numbers? Have any of you actually tried used JBL diaphragms as replacements, and if so, how did things turn out for you? I look forward to hearing your thoughts on something like this. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Ask yourself, why would a perfect used diaphragm be available? Upgrade to Be? Maybe, but how many of the available used diaphragms are out there because someone wanted to replace a perfectly good diaphragm? I think finding a perfect used diaphragm is a long shot.

They may look good and the voicecoil may be fine, but that is no guarantee of performance.

Widget

Unless I knew and trusted the source ... or wanted a presumably problematic unit to play with
    (e.g., practice with and get a feel for using/testing)

What are you looking for?

Good Morning, Widget and Grumpy,

Thank you for reinforcing what I already thought would be the truth of this situation. I guess I was hoping that I might find some decent used JBL diaphragms which were being sold, after upgrading to BE. I know that's a huge long shot, but with the price of new JBL diaphragms I thought it might be worth a try. However, as you say, Widget, I certainly don't want to be inheriting problems from someone else.

As to my needs, one of my 2405's seems to have a 2402 diaphragm in it, as I mentioned in another thread. Investigation will show me, one way, or the other. But, assuming it IS really a 2402 diaphragm, I would want to replace it with a proper diaphragm for a 2405. And, since my other 2405 is fairly old, despite not having that many miles on it, it might be best to get TWO 2405 diaphragms, so that both 2405's start fresh and, hopefully, on even footing with one another.

Secondly, as the 4-way system is now very close to being assembled, tested, and listened to, and as I have proper 2445J diaphragms in both CD drivers, plus some coated diaphragms that JeffW very kindly sent my way, I was hoping to find a good pair of used, but not abused 2441 JBL diaphragms, so I could actually compare the three types against one another, and see which one really sounds best to my ears.

So, buying two new 2405 diaphragms, and two new 2441 diaphragms (if such a thing could even be found!), is going to push the costs far above what I can justify, financially, at this time. Thus, my question about buying good, used JBL diaphragms. I know that the fly the ointment in trying to do things this way, is that, unless I KNOW the seller, and trust their honesty as to the quality and condition of the used 'fragms, I guess it's rather like pissing in the wind to buy them from eBay, or some other place!! Does that about sum it all up, Gentlemen?

I guess, for now, I'll use what I have on hand, and in truth, that's a pretty good place to start. That would, at least, give me a baseline from which to make better decisions about getting new JBL diaphragms, as the need for them dictates. Thank you, both, for your thoughts on this subject. Pretty much what I already thought. Just guess I was "wishing" it would be different. I had forgotten what my old Texas Grandma used to say when we kids talked about "wishes". She said, "Why don't you wish in one hand, and poop in the other one, and see which one fills up, first"!!! DANG, she was funny!! I miss her rather odd since of humor, very much, and all the wonderful things she used to say!! Take care, Guys, and thanks, again, for chiming in on this question.

Oh, and by the way, all morning, I've been listening to some recordings of late 16th century "Coronetto Curvo" music, though the H/K - Crown PS400 - JBL L19 system, and it's been very enjoyable. I hope to hear the PS400 with the L250s by this weekend, and then on to the 4-way system! Fun, for sure!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

1) I have an NOS pair of 2405H drivers you could compare to whatever you like. And some older 077's.
    You might be better off just looking for a -complete- older unit to match the good one you have ...
    we can test what you have/get.

2) used 2441 diaphragms? That's just -begging- for problems that may not immediately materialize.
    Used titanium, maybe ... I might have some smooth Ti J's.

Then there's the Be's which you might not want to hear at all
    (and they're the 8ohm version anyway)

Hi, Grumpy,

You're probably spot on the money, Dave! Unless I could find a pair of NOS 2441 diaphragms, I think I'd better stick with what I have, at least for now. Who knows, I may love either the Ti diaphragms that came in the 2445J's I bought from Todd quite a few years ago, or the coated Ti diaphragms that JeffW gave me to try. If I like those, then Jeff has gifted them to me, and if they don't sound better than the regular Ti's, I'll return them to him, and no matter how that turns out, I am truly thankful, and grateful for his magnanimous gesture!! Thanks, Jeff!

Dave, maybe we could plan a testing session at your place, as a not too thinly veiled excuse to go get some BBQ afterwards!! I could bring down several drivers, and see how they compare to one another. Thank you for the kind offer of that kind of learning experience, and fun!!! I'll see how things look in our schedule, and get back to you so see what works for you. Thanks, again, Dave, for your always helpful advice and help, not to mention you helping to further my deep BBQ addiction!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information