Thread: JBL D130 with rib cone question

JBL D130 with rib cone question

I just bought a JBL D130, serial 33XXX. Bargain price, basket in excellent condition; but it had been re-coned with rib cone.

Compared to my all original D123, they sound quite similar; must be family resemblance.

Now without hearing an original D130, I cannot say whether it sound like it should or should I seriously considering re-cone it?

Thanks in advance.
    Gerald (Vancouver Canada)

Quote Originally Posted by kingplank View Post
    I just bought a JBL D130, serial 33XXX. Bargain price, basket in excellent condition; but it had been re-coned with rib cone.

Compared to my all original D123, they sound quite similar; must be family resemblance.

Now without hearing an original D130, I cannot say whether it sound like it should or should I seriously considering re-cone it?

Thanks in advance.
    Gerald (Vancouver Canada)
    Greetings -

Your D130 is no longer a D130, and it will never sound like a D130. Someone versed with the technical aspects of the voice coil and air gap could probably have more information about the kit, but there may be a number on the back of the cone, perhaps hand written with chalk that would indicate which cone it is. If the number starts with a 'W', then it's a Waldom cone. It could have been a kluge job. As for re-coning, there is no such thing as a factory D130 kit. All that is available are after market kits, which I personally have no faith they are direct replacements. My argument, is that none of the companies that manufacture JBL replacement kits have ever provided Thiele-Small parameters the back up their claim. There is an outfit in Arizona that sells D130F drop in kits, but the D130 & D130F were two different drivers designed for two different purposes.

The 12 inch version of the D130 was the D131, not the D123. On that note, the D123 is one of my favorite speakers.

My advise to anyone buying vintage JBL drivers, do your homework first. Just because something looks like a good deal, doesn't mean it is. I see many of these re-cones on Ebay, and the people who auction them either don't have a clue what they're selling, or they do and hope the buyer doesn't. Two words, Caveat emptor.

Maybe it has a E140 cone now?

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Maybe it has a E140 cone now?
    Like I mentioned, there may be an issue with the voice coil and air gap. Perhaps you're right, but I wouldn't assume it to be. In 1990 I came across a pair of D130 baskets I wanted to have re-coned with the 2205 kit. I was told there was an issue with the voice coil gap, so the JBL guy traded me straight across for a pair of D130F baskets in order for him to proceed with the re-cone. God, how I wish I hadn't done that, but the speakers were loaded into a P.A. system I built for a friend.

There is no mechanical issues with my D130
    Like I said, it sounds very similar to a D123; and that is not a bad thing.
    I don't have $500 to pay for a pristine condition 130

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Like I mentioned, there may be an issue with the voice coil and air gap. Perhaps you're right, but I wouldn't assume it to be. In 1990 I came across a pair of D130 baskets I wanted to have re-coned with the 2205 kit. I was told there was an issue with the voice coil gap, so the JBL guy traded me straight across for a pair of D130F baskets in order for him to proceed with the re-cone. God, how I wish I hadn't done that, but the speakers were loaded into a P.A. system I built for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by kingplank View Post
    There is no mechanical issues with my D130
    Like I said, it sounds very similar to a D123; and that is not a bad thing.
    I don't have $500 to pay for a pristine condition 130
    I don't think you understand what I meant by, 'issues with the voice coil gap'.

JBL made changes to the voice coil gap to create F series speakers, to be specific, the gap width was increased. Other issues would be the voice coil itself with respect to it's length for kits other than the D130. As I stated, there are folks on the forum that can sight specifics on JBL cone kits. I have no idea what kit is in your basket, but I do know your speaker will never sound like a D130, nor can I see how it could possibly sound like a D123. It could be wishful thinking on your part. The 12" equivalent to the D130 was the D131. The D123 as you must know, has a ribbed cone, and a 3" voice coil. I own four D123's, and have owned D130's, and I have never considered them to sound alike. I would be surprised if the kit in your basket is a D140F, or a 2205 with an aluminum dome.

At any rate, good luck with your dilemma.

The D130/2135 frames are like the 2205, 2225, 2230, 2231, 2235, 135, 136, so any of those ribbed kits could go into a D130 frame (possibly except very early because of changes in gap width) and be correct in the geometry so that it would be the driver the kit was for except perhaps a change in magnet material, which of course is not nothing, AND provided that the correct dome was used. So, no, with a ribbed kit the driver is a woofer and not an extended range music driver or musical instrument driver. If someone wants to do this and likes the sound for his instrument, that is all well and good, but it is not a D130 unless it has the correct 'software.'
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information