Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

But that's just it, it will be BELOW the screen, and not at the same height as the mains, or where the image is on the screen, and that just bothers me for some reason. A properly setup 4.x system can put that dialog smack dab where it's supposed to be (for one person anyway). Plus I move my listening/viewing position pretty close to my tiny 54 inch screen (the experts recommend around a 6 foot viewing distance for 1080p on a 54 inch) to watch Blu-rays, so I'd almost be kicking a third L200. I've tired scaled down centers, but they sounded awful; that's where most of the sound comes from in a 5.x system after all so you don't want a weak center.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    But that's just it, it will be BELOW the screen, and not at the same height as the mains, or where the image is on the screen, and that just bothers me for some reason. A properly setup 4.x system can put that dialog smack dab where it's supposed to be (for one person anyway). Plus I move my listening/viewing position pretty close to my tiny 54 inch screen (the experts recommend around a 6 foot viewing distance for 1080p on a 54 inch) to watch Blu-rays, so I'd almost be kicking a third L200. I've tired scaled down centers, but they sounded awful; that's where most of the sound comes from in a 5.x system after all so you don't want a weak center.

When I had a cheaper center, it was the lack of matching tonality that bothered me, and the inability to hear the dialog clearly bothered me.
    The location - close to but not physically in the center of the screen - did NOT bother me as much as the poor sound did.

The JBL LCD2 I ran with the 4341s was better than most, but it didn't match the mains.
    The DCM Timepiece was a better match to the TF1000s I had as mains - dialog & tone was good, but it didn't match the bass response
    The Vandersteen VCC-1 is a good match to the Vandy 2CEs - (a better match to the Vandy 1 series), good but not quite a match to the 3As, basswise.

But if I build a center with nearly the same physical size as the UREI 809As, and use a UREI 809A driver
    and a matched crossover, it should be damned close in tone and sound.
    If I lift the TV up another 8-12 inches, location will be close to inline with the mains ... an awfully good compromise.
    I'll have to take a picture when I get to that point - but a GOOD center makes a difference to TV and movies.

I also like that with a real, matched center, listening positions is not a tiny sweet spot.
    Emma and I can cuddle on the sofa and move around a bit and still get all the sound and all the dialog.
    And we still jump when all the bullets and shells shred the deck around us in "Master and Commander."

If I went to a projector and put the center behind the screen, it would probably be better, soundwise -
    but I like the visual clarity of the 70 inch AQUOS TV over most projectors I have seen in non-darkened rooms.
    Frankly, with our garden and flowers and the beauty outside - I kinda like the big windows.

Plus there is a whole budget issue with selling this home to move somewhere
    with a better home theater space - I kinda like it here - this will do for us.
    Its a really good compromise for us.

With the grills off, you can see the height of the drivers - even mocked up like this,
    so a sideways 809A will be in line with the 2 mains ...
    (you can also see I need to rotate the left driver very slightly to get the horn aligned)

Name:  3xUREI-trial_0838.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  129.7 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

It was a nice day, finally, so I set up a work area on the back porch, grabbed the M.E.K,
    and cleaned the bad surrounds off the 2 loose 12 inch 809A driver (basically JBL 2214 woofers).
    I'd bought the Rick Cobb kit last month, so I installed new surrounds, set up the CD and test tones,
    and let them run for a bit in the basement!

They sit better on the shelf with the 2416H tweeter driver not screwed into place.

(I also did some yard work mucking out the pond, but thats not the sexy - so no pix of that task!)

Name:  Refoamed_9368.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  112.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

More 12 inch UREIs ... plus a Carver PM-175 Amp

Just got back from a trip to Short Pump area outside Richmond, VA.
    I'd seen a pair of UREI 809 speakers (good surrounds, with original grills) back in Jan and had gone back and forth with the seller (Father-in-law's gear and we have no place for it in the new house) Original deal was UREI 809A speakers plus Carver Magnetic field power amp, model PM175. Not willing to separate.

I got them to separate the speakers, then got the price down, but I wasn't going to get in that area for 3 weekend ('bout a 2 hr drive each way for us). So we agreed on a date, and I waited ... vewy qwietwy ... lest the deal get away!

Anyway, left fairfax at 8AM, tested and grabbed the speakers, then made an offer on the Carver after all,
    made a nice cash deal for all of it ... and came home with a nice load in the back of the CRV ...

So, current tally ... 2 pair of 809s in clean cabs with grills, another pair of clean 12" coaxial drivers w/out cabinets, plus a pair of 811Cs in cabinet that need recapping. That should be enough for a kick-butt home theater upgrade ...

Oh, since we got to Richmond early, we went into the nursery and got some great hanging baskets and herbs for a superb price!

Name:  UREI809A+Carver_9396.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  97.0 KB

My goodness Heather you have taken a big bite at that apple. What do you reckon is the draw with these. You've had plenty of speakers through you emporium so you will have a keen ear .
    I have an idea but am keen to hear if you are experiencing what I think you are.

Good score btw. M

Wow!
    Party at Heather and Emma's house!

Remember I have a Carver PM-1.5 I paid a pittance for recently that sounds fine to me. Supposedly 450wpc if you feel you're in need of a bit more power!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Wow! Party at Heather and Emma's house!
    Remember I have a Carver PM-1.5 I paid a pittance for recently that sounds fine to me.
    Supposedly 450wpc if you feel you're in need of a bit more power!
    Yes - the Carver PM 175 I got has nice specs - apparently 175ch - 8 ohms stereo, 250ch - 4 ohms, 500w/mono - 8 ohm ...
    I didn't really need it with the B&K amps & that Bryston downstairs,
    but they demoed the speakers with it, so I had to ask, made an offer and they accepted it!

Name:  UREIs_9399.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  94.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    My goodness Heather you have taken a big bite at that apple.
    What do you reckon is the draw with these. You've had plenty of speakers through you emporium so you will have a keen ear .
    I have an idea but am keen to hear if you are experiencing what I think you are.

Good score btw. M
    Its a couple of things.
    The efficiency is really nice - it doesn't take much power to fill the room.
    The sound is less cluttered and more direct than with the 3 or 4 ways systems -
    there is an immediacy or presence to the sound, a clarity, as if there isn't much between me and the sound.
    There is also a focus to the sound image - the soundstage is crisp and clear.

Its also nice that they are apparently not in the collector's eyes right now -
    these days when anything with a JBL badge gets listed at a high price,
    the UREIs have an outstanding value. (Hidden JBL parts!)

Coherence is the word I had in mind. Tannoy has it too , its a trait of dual concentric drivers.

I think coherence is the big part of what I meant when I said focus ...
    (if these folks are using it correctly) ...

http://greenmountainaudio.com/what-i...oherent-sound/

no special props to them, they just came up when I googled
    "Coherence - Audio" - and what was there seemed to fit.

They are right when they talk it about it being magical ...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I think coherence is the big part of what I meant when I said focus ...
    (if these folks are using it correctly) ...

http://greenmountainaudio.com/what-is-tantime-coherent-sound/

no special props to them, they just came up when I googled
    "Coherence - Audio" - and what was there seemed to fit.

They are right when they talk it about it being magical ...
    Interesting that you would come across that. I was using a pair of Green Mountain Audio Diamante speakers right up until I got the UREIs going. The UREIs are definitely more coherent than the GMAs. More "present" or "focused", as you said. No blurring.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    ...Its also nice that they are apparently not in the collector's eyes right now -
    these days when anything with a JBL badge gets listed at a high price,
    the UREIs have an outstanding value. (Hidden JBL parts!)
    No doubt, people buy with their eyes more than their ears. The UREIs are fugly, to be sure. Very low SAF, WAF, HAF, PAF....

I hope you never hear better and are set for life . I have a question related but not about these...is there a direct radiating version? I have seen something I thought was like this but don't have any info, are you aware of any?
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    I hope you never hear better and are set for life.
    I have a question related but not about these...is there a direct radiating version?
    I have seen something I thought was like this but don't have any info, are you aware of any?
    All I can think about is the old ESS systems with the Heil driver tweeters - but their drivers were elsewhere.
    And of course various electrostatic or similar drivers on the baffleboard.

Or do you mean some kind of system with a direct-radiator in front of the woofer?

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    ...... I have a question related but not about these...is there a direct radiating version? I have seen something I thought was like this but don't have any info, are you aware of any?
    I have not seen a direct radiating coax speaker from JBL, but I'm no expert. Perhaps there's a pro stage monitor? I've only seen the horn variants (UREI). There are a few companies selling home audio speakers that are direct radiating coax, as opposed to horn loaded coax. I have a friend who tells me the Emerald Physics speakers sound very good, and are reasonably priced.
    http://www.emeraldphysics.com/2012/06/cs3-mk2.html
    Last edited by rusty jefferson; 04-20-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: edited for clarification

Not that it really matters, but there were the LE12C, the LE14C and the 2150. The first two may have been intended for hi fi; the last was a ceiling speaker. There may been others, not counting auto stuff.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Thread Information