Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I have a pair of the same cabs. I put EV SP12's in them and it was decent enough.
    I think I want to install 2206's in mine and see how it does.

I noticed you stuffed the port, why not seal it all together? Just curious...

Regards, Ron
    Actually, it was just a trial to see how that worked. I've had 2 pairs of L100T speakers and they worked great with a smallish port.
    I am not sure the cabinets are robust enough to run sealed - and I believe I'd need more power to run sealed box mode.
    As it is, with a 60w/ch tube amp running the UREIs and them, they do add a nice supplement to the UREI's bass ....
    I like having 2 2214s per channel.
    I don't play them very loud - and they sound great playing through a number of older Brubeck albums today.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Actually, it was just a trial to see how that worked. I've had 2 pairs of L100T speakers and they worked great with a smallish port.
    I am not sure the cabinets are robust enough to run sealed - and I believe I'd need more power to run sealed box mode.
    As it is, with a 60w/ch tube amp running the UREIs and them, they do add a nice supplement to the UREI's bass ....
    I like having 2 2214s per channel.
    I don't play them very loud - and they sound great playing through a number of older Brubeck albums today.
    cabs worked okay with high efficiency drivers, but low freq drivers would push the cabs somewhat...

They are neat cabs though...!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Had a chance to ga and listen to these this weekend and boy are they nice. It's hard to believe the big sound that comes from them.

Because ANY discussion of the UREI speakers needs a link back to this project - I'd LOVE to hear them!

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...3-Urei-Theater
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

They are home ... It was 4 hours each way to Morgantown, WV and back ...
    but they are hooked up right now without using the Helper woofers in the pedestal
    and the 811Cs are playing very nice. More bass that the 809As alone have ...
    and the same kind of sparkling presence ...

Yes, I will have to rotate the left horn a few degrees to get it level, but its quite close for now.

Very impressive - now to play some music, settle into a hot tub and unwind from all that Road!

Name:  UREI4x_9318.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  100.0 KB

Impressive! My guess is that you're not into HT or multi-channel audio, but you have the makings of a killer 4.0 system there. Nice score.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Impressive! My guess is that you're not into HT or multi-channel audio,
    but you have the makings of a killer 4.0 system there. Nice score.
    The upstairs room is configured for 2 channel audio.

But the downstairs room IS set for HT/surround music - and is 7.1 sound capable, with Integra Preamp/processor, B&K poweramps,
    Vandersteens 3A mains and 2CE surrounds, DCM TF-600 rear surrounds, a Vandy center and a 4641 JBL Pro 18 inch sub.

Back to the UREI gear - in addition to the pair of 809As and pair of 811Cs, I have a complete extra pair of 12 inch 809 spare drivers with horns and 2416H screw-on tweeters, (plus a 3rd one from you), without the 809A cabinets, and 2 homebrew crossovers.
    So - those 3 pairs would be enough to do a HT room - and since the UREI are quite efficient, no need for high power amps!

Tho I'll probably try them downstairs at some point, that wasn't my vision, like it was for UREI_Collector's system.

But it sure is tempting!

I've heard a rolling stone gathers no moss...

Those look very nice and I can only imagine what they sound like.

I gotta run, so more later, but the L200's are working out very nice...stunningly nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    I've heard a rolling stone gathers no moss...

Those look very nice and I can only imagine what they sound like.

I gotta run, so more later, but the L200's are working out very nice...stunningly nice.
    I am SO glad you are enjoying them!
    We had a lot of listening time with them.

So I've now spent a week listening to the UREI 811C 15 inch (single) coaxial speakers.
    Mids are quite nice, and imaging is still amazing - like the 809s, I can hear every instrument in a mix!
    Bass is there but they don't go as low in Freq as the 809As do, and they seem to roll a bit off the top as well,
    so I figure its probably time for some updates (all part of the plan ...).

I know the 811Cs were meant to be soffit mounted to give the best bass response -
    so I know I'm losing some low-end from the pedestal use.
    I did connect the blonde cabinets with the 2214 helper woofers, and that improved the bottom end -
    maybe I'll need to use some subs or helper woofers underneath (say 15 or 18 inch)?

Also, the caps have probably aged since the late 80s - I suspect replacing the caps would do some good.
    Another consideration is that I have no idea what diaphrams are in the tweeters?
    Originals? Some cheap replacement? Have not looked so that's an unknown!

I DO know the cabinets are heavy! urk!
    So over the weekend I got Emma to help me lift them off the pedestal and put them where I could get to the crossovers.
    4 philips screws hold the crossover faceplates on - so I removed them - pulled the crossover as far forward as I can and ...
    I can't get it fully out! Its a large circuit card (see picture) and apparently its limited by the internal wiring.
    So - I'll have to get them out of the stack, lay them on their back, pull the 15 inch coax driver assembly,
    and then see what I can see for a full view of the crossover & compare it to the schematic

The second picture shows the stack of UREI 811Cs, the back of the Von Schweikert VR-4s, and the back of the UREI 809As on the 2214 speaker pedestals.

Anyway, here's what I can see of the 811C crossover so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hauled the 809As and the Helper cabs downstairs and hooked them up in front of the
    Vandersteen 3As to the B&K St202plus amp as the Front mains.

Watched some TV to see how they carried dialog, then played one of the "attack scenes"
    from "Master and Commander on The Far Side" and that sounded superb ..
    Flipped to Palladia and wound up watching a documentary about prog band Kansas
    and their sound was superb as well! Excellent!

Yep - Gonna pull the Vandies 3As out and put the UREI 809s in their place for good downstairs!
    Time to sell those Vandersteens!

Name:  UREI-downstairs_9344.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  89.1 KB

Had some time tonight. Took the points off the Vandersteen 3As and dragged them out of the way,
    then put the UREIs and the pedestals against the wall in their place. Sounds real nice!
    Now I'll have to find more UREIs for the side surrounds and make a matched UREI center!

Name:  UREI-Cabs_9353.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  91.3 KB

I like that setup. The problem with centers and regular TV's (unlike projector/screen setups where you can stick it behind the screen) is that it's so hard to get a full sized center in the right spot. I just go 4.0 (4.3 really) and sit in the sweet spot. Guests/teenage children don't really seem to care, even if they're not in the sweet spot. Just my two cents.

I just go 4.0 (4.3 really) and sit in the sweet spot
    That is a very interesting comment/observation. I have a full size center channel but it takes up soooo much real estate. I also listen to a lot of 2 channel stereo on my HT system as well. I may have to experiment with this as well. It would be nice gain back that real estate

The smart thing for me would be to put the Salamander/rack elsewhere and put the center in the center, just under the TV.
    I will say with TV and movies, having a center in the center adds a lot to the dialog and to realistic audio.

For 2 channel audio I go upstairs to the 2 channel system - it works best that way.

A compromised system means something is less than ideal.

This is the 3rd iteration of a really ideal Home theater system.
    I tried with JBL biamp 4341s and L100T3s sides and L20T rears - not really good.

I had a 7.1 system consisting of DCM Timeframe spekers, plus a JBL sub. Great.
    Then a 7.1 system of 5 Vandersteen speakers (w/DCM TF600 rears), plus a JBL sub. Great.
    Now I am converting the whole thing to UREI monitors - and from the sound of just the mains now (with JBL sub) - so far, its very nice.

There is something about a matched tonality that really works ...

Thread Information