Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

UREI Speaker discussions

Just won a pair of UREI 809A speakers with bad surrounds for a good price.
    Its a local sale, so I'll pick them up Monday after work. No grills.

The 809A system has a 12 inch coax assembly - its essentially a 2214 woofer
    with a 2416H compression driver mated to it. I've got the spec sheet and will look into
    updating the crossovers with some fresh caps -

Mike says the 12 inch in 809 *IS* the 2214 kit with a flex screen instead of a dustcap.
    the same magnet/frame/driver is used in the 2152H but with a midrange type cone.

I've replaced a number of 2214 surrounds in the last few years, so I sent an
    email to Rick Cobb to chase down a surround kit ...

I do have a spare pair of 2214 woofers - I may try to set them up as "Helper woofers"
    if the coaxial drivers don't play deep enough.

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/URE...s/809A-L,R.pdf

Name:  809A-pair.jpg
Views: 7175
Size:  176.3 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Very cool. What a steal. I would be very surprised if you have to use help woofers. The pair I heard sounded great full range.

BTW, what tubes are in your Jolida? EL 84's

Thanks

Tinpan

Thanks! of course, these are just the "little" 12 inch UREI Coaxials -
    the pair I heard before had the larger 15 inch coaxials ...

I'm using a quad of the regular 6550EH (ElectroHarmonix) which gives me a rated output of 60w/ch
    Its been plenty with the JBL L200 customs and the Von Schweikert VR-4s.
    I "believe" the VR-4s are around 93db efficiency - and that's what these UREIs are listed as ...

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Very cool. What a steal. I would be very surprised if you have to use help woofers. The pair I heard sounded great full range.

BTW, what tubes are in your Jolida? EL 84's

Thanks

Tinpan
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

I just got home with them. It was an ebay auction that was a local sale,
    so I didn't really know the condition, other than pictures that showed me the surrounds are shot.

I played a couple tunes at low volume and it sounds like all drivers are working and -
    they play surprisingly well. Emma was really impressed at the sound.
    I've written Rick Cobb for info and will order surround kits in the next couple days.

Obviously, I'll need to get them up off the ground for real use - or stand them on end, spin the drivers 90 degrees
    (to turn the horns 90 degrees), and tip them back a bit.
    Once the surrounds are replaced I can experiment further

Name:  UREI-809A_9159.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  111.9 KB

Welcome to the UREI side of the tracks!

I like how you "get the itch", and then just scratch it!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Welcome to the UREI side of the tracks!

I like how you "get the itch", and then just scratch it!
    Thank you for the first itch!

I had no idea until I heard a pair of UREI speakers what those kind of monitors could do ...
    I'm just starting down the path - but I'm intrigued and impressed!

Rusty,

I was very impressed with your system. I think I would love a coax that wasn't a horn though ... Your system was one the better ones I have heard, period, very dynamic, smooth and my favorite part still very flat response to my ears.

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Got the second part of the project today - the drivers and crossovers for a pair of UREI 809s I got from a studio in WV.
    The woofers looked to be similar so I swapped the Horn drivers to put them on the woofers I just got with good surrounds
    and tossed them into the cabinets in vertical mode. Then played some tracks ...
    Again, Cathedral from CSN, some tracks from AJA, some old Louis Armstrong tracks ...
    then a few tracks here and there from other artists ... very very nice. Impressive.

I ordered enough surrounds from Rick Cobb so I can redo all 4 woofers (the "good" ones look like they may need it shortly, too).
    I'll put the 2214s back in the blonde cabinets and haul them upstairs as "stands" for now -
    and buy chokes to rig a crossover to try them as "helper woofers" later.

... more fun is coming!

Name:  UREI-809A-test_9165.jpg
Views: 5575
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  UREI-809-A_9161.jpg
Views: 6256
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  UREI-809xovers_9169.jpg
Views: 4691
Size:  139.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Rusty,

I was very impressed with your system. I think I would love a coax that wasn't a horn though ... Your system was one the better ones I have heard, period, very dynamic, smooth and my favorite part still very flat response to my ears.

Mark
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for the kind words about the system. I appreciate it very much.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Got the second part of the project today - the drivers and crossovers for a pair of UREI 809s I got from a studio in WV. ......
    .....Seems the box of drivers and crossovers I got today have smaller 2412H-1 Horn drivers,
    compared to the 2416H-1 drivers that came in the complete system I got yesterday.
    I wrote the seller & explained that we have something to sort out - more fun later!
    I'm not familiar with the 803 coax variants. Did a model come with the 2412, or......?

Ordered a pair of 12 mh chokes from madisound today - Subwoof says thats what I need to set up my 2214 woofers as "Helper Woofers" for the 809A systems.
    I also ordered a yard of their black grill cloth - I'd rather do JBL monitor blue -
    but ... seems there isn't any any more - those days are gone.

Anyway, brought the blonde cabinets upstairs and set the UREIs on top.
    Playing some vintage Louis Armstrong - St. James Infirmary - sounds Fantastic!

Once I get the order I'll pull the baffleboards and cover them with the black grill cloth,
    mount the 2214s in the cabinets, install a choke in series with each 2214,
    and tie the lower cabinets in parallel to the upper ones ...
    subwoof says that'll raise the woofer volume 3db ...

Maybe have more fun by next weekend!

(and maybe sell off those darned L200 systems next!!)

Name:  UREI-809a-Pedestals_9170.jpg
Views: 5116
Size:  103.7 KB

Man, I didn't with the $500 million dollar Powerball again.

Oh well...

I really dig your project now that I see where you are going with it. I love those blond cabinets, what are they and where did you find them. I'd like to find something similar for a pair of 15 inch bass bins.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    Man, I didn't with the $500 million dollar Powerball again.

Oh well...

I really dig your project now that I see where you are going with it. I love those blond cabinets,
    what are they and where did you find them. I'd like to find something similar for a pair of 15 inch bass bins.
    I got them from one of the Ak Listening parties 2 years back - the PO in NJ bought them with some Stevens Trusonic coaxial drivers -
    he pulled and sold those, and couldn't bring himself to trash the boxes, so I got them pretty cheap.
    I briefly tested them with 12 inch 2214 drivers I had and they mounted up fine, tried them as subs
    with a pair of M&K satellite speakers on top, but eventually stashed them into basement storage until now.

They are a nice match for the blonde wood chairs and sofa I got from my grandmother
    (and played on when i was a kid many years ago ...)

Next stage. Based on comments from Subwoof on how to integrate a pair of 2214s as Helper Woofers
    similar to what the UREI 813C has, I got a pair of 12mH chokes from Madisound this week.
    I got some really nice fabric from "G-Street Fabrics" this morning - not quite JBL Monitor blue - but darned close!
    Its a bit thicker than the scrap of Zilch-cloth I have - then again, the fabric today was a closeout at $2.97 yd!!

Anyway, popped the baffle boards, glued the cloth to it, mounted the 2214 drivers to each one, jammed some polyfill
    into the oversize ports, then screwed a choke down near the 5 way cups in installed in the bottom.
    Rigged a dual banana pomona cable between the bass cab and the UREI 809A terminal cups,
    and turned on the Jolida 502 tube amp. Nice, but not as much bass as I thought.
    On a hunch, I reversed the polarity to the bass cab and thats it!

See - the JBL woofers that are part of the UREI coaxial drivers are connected backwards from their original marked polarity.
    I thought if I flipped apparent polarity to the "helper woofers", they might then match the actual polarity - and they seem to.

Now I have to go downstairs and try some tracks!

Thanks for the tips Mike!

Name:  2214H_9179.jpg
Views: 4202
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  Bass-Peds-interior_9182.jpg
Views: 4199
Size:  312.8 KB

Name:  UREI-Bass-Peds_9186.jpg
Views: 4112
Size:  120.0 KB

The Jolida 502 BRC uses quad of the regular 6550EH (ElectroHarmonix) and has a rated output of 60w/ch Its been plenty with the JBL L200 customs and the Von Schweikert VR-4s. I "believe" the VR-4s are around 93db efficiency - and that's what these UREIs are listed as ...
    I'm finding the UREIs with the helper woofers play much louder than the VR-4s.
    Mike said adding the helper woofer would be a 3db improvement!

Anecdotally, I am playing some new agey piano stuff this morning (an old CD - David Lanz - Christofori's Dream)
    and I'm listening at a comfortable level with the volume pot just below the 9 o'clock position.
    My usual amp setting with the JBLs and VR-4s was often 11 or 12 o'clock position.

Pretty sure Rusty was using a superb SET amp with his 813Cs.
    It was even pleasant with Daft Punk Discovery and Boz's Dig album yesterday!

Tho I haven't ventured into Classical music yet ... maybe I'll try Ode to Joy when I get home later ...

Name:  UREI-809A-and-Helpers_9188.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  113.4 KB

Been a long weekend but since its too cold to do much outside, I did get some listening time in over the last couple days.

Dug out my Furtwangler SACD of Beethoven's 9th (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A72XOI/) looks like the price has gone up from the $20 I paid in 2011!
    Anyway, played nearly the whole thing - magnificent!
    Dropped through all kinds of other materials, from Yes, through Tom Waits, Incredible String machine, Beatles stereo remasters -
    Joni Mitchell, Gary Burton - generally all were stunning - tho in a couple places the studio edits are pretty apparent - and that is flat amazing!

So far, the 809 with external helper woofers are proving to be small and light enough to move easily and yet very listenable!
    I think these will be my main keepers - Unless I can find a pair of 811s to upgrade to!

Tho I haven't ventured into Classical music yet ... maybe I'll try Ode to Joy when I get home later ...

Name:  UREI-809A-and-Helpers_9188.jpg
Views: 4637
Size:  113.4 KB

Thread Information