Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Just got a 6260 amp (the fanless model) but my back has been iffy lately, and the darned thing is 44 lbs (!) -
    a bit harsh to lift and test right now. Oy!
    You youngsters are just falling apart!

Hoping you feel up to it soon!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Wow - love the look of the dark wood horns! I've got 4 809A coaxials and a spare pair of drivers, just in case.
    Just got a 6260 amp (the fanless model) but my back has been iffy lately, and the darned thing is 44 lbs (!) -
    a bit harsh to lift and test right now. Oy!
    Heather, you need one of these... But I suspect you're way too far away to pick one up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Wow, really nice cabinet.

For a fella who likes the look of the blue horn, what type of foam did Urei use or what can I use to redo mine? Looks to be made from a pool noodle.. Also looks like they were painted blue, what color would be a suitable match? Would you happen to make replacement kits? My foam seems to be in good shape, but has deformed a bit. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, my ears still find these speakers to be quite tasty.
    The only thing I've seen painted on any version of the Urei horns are the outer foam discs in the Helmholtz resonators in the A series horns. The dense side wall foam and the mouth diffraction buffer foam have been integral color on all that I've seen.

Pool noodle might work. Cutting is the challenge. I should look into making replacements, but I can't imagine there's much of a market there.
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    Heather, you need one of these... But I suspect you're way too far away to pick one up.
    That is am impressive amp!

Your speakers are no slouches either.

Widget

On the fancy Ureis, all of the original parts are there, and the little redwood burl panels can access the trim adjustments and the peak lights still work.

The little burl panels are held on with tiny neo magnets.

I wish someone would buy them...

Bought a 6260s recently sent from an AKer in Fla. But sadly, it was bashed around and drop-kicked in shipping and didn't play right, so it went back to the seller ...
    That 6500 looks impressive, but prices seem a bit dear right now, and its more wattage than I need!

Last edited by hjames; 09-06-2023 at 05:18 AM.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

... and its more wattage than I need!
    It's the amp recommended in all of the Urei literature, plus it's the only one with the patented "Conductor Compensation Circuit"

Head room is a good thing! You can drive the older Ureis with the peak indicator lights into lighting up like a christmas tree without clipping. Of course you really don't want to be in the room with them that loud...

Bought a 6260s recently sent from an AKer in Fla.
    I use mine in my Library/TV room pushing L5s. Very pleased with it and respect it as a functional equivalent to my Crown PS400 and DC300A-II.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

It's the amp recommended in all of the Urei literature, plus it's the only one with the patented "Conductor Compensation Circuit"

Head room is a good thing! You can drive the older Ureis with the peak indicator lights into lighting up like a christmas tree without clipping. Of course you really don't want to be in the room with them that loud...
    You have any experience with the 6300? What can you say about that conductor compensation circuit, does it really make a difference? I noticed only the 6500 has it. The photo you posted of that 6500 looks familiar, from a dude selling one in California IIRC. I looked at the ad several times, but the seller states he isn't willing to ship it. Wouldn't happen to be yours, would it?? Also, how loud are the fans on 'em? I just picked up a Crown Studio Reference II. I haven't done any serious testing yet, but the fans haven't kicked on once, pretty cool. The inside of it is so clean, I don't think they've ever kicked on.

Good to know about the foam. However, if you did decide to make a kit, I'd be one of your first customers!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I use mine in my Library/TV room pushing L5s. Very pleased with it and respect it as a functional equivalent to my Crown PS400 and DC300A-II.
    Very good to know! I had my eye on those amps too, but seeing as I already had a PS-200, I (originally) wanted to keep it "in the family" by adding 400's. Didn't work out for me, unfortunately. Now I need to test the SR-II out, see if I dig it and if I do, find a SR-I.

Very good to know! I had my eye on those amps too, but seeing as I already had a PS-200, I (originally) wanted to keep it "in the family" by adding 400's. Didn't work out for me, unfortunately. Now I need to test the SR-II out, see if I dig it and if I do, find a SR-I.
    I can't imagine any home scenario where you would need both the Studio Reference-II and the SR-I. But if you do find one, make sure your electrical service can handle it.

You have any experience with the 6300? What can you say about that conductor compensation circuit, does it really make a difference? I noticed only the 6500 has it. The photo you posted of that 6500 looks familiar, from a dude selling one in California IIRC. I looked at the ad several times, but the seller states he isn't willing to ship it. Wouldn't happen to be yours, would it?? Also, how loud are the fans on 'em? I just picked up a Crown Studio Reference II. I haven't done any serious testing yet, but the fans haven't kicked on once, pretty cool. The inside of it is so clean, I don't think they've ever kicked on.

Good to know about the foam. However, if you did decide to make a kit, I'd be one of your first customers!

This US Audio Mart ad?

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...500-amplifier/

Yes, that's me. Crated and shipper proofed one might exceed the weight limit for USPS/UPS/FedEx and have to be sent freight. Even if the parcel carriers would take it I don't trust them handling it.

That fans cycle on startup and then drop down to a very low speed that doesn't bother me.

The conductor compensation circuit is interesting. What is actually is is a loop in the amp feedback circuit that includes the crossovers so the speaker cables become part of the amp. Think about set up in a recording studio and the length of runs and that could be a really big deal. The longer your cable runs that bigger the impact with this.

And these things are full dual mono: two power supplies and two amps. They're beautiful.

Re-creating original Urei blue foam diffraction buffers is on my list of things to do, but it's still a little way down the list behind the back TAD monitors and 2 turntable projects...

eso

Yep, that's the one.

Were they originally shipped in crates? This SR-II came to me from California with no damage, insulated on every side by thick styrofoam...

The fan would probably irk me, I listen at very low levels when I'm working from home, so it would have to be something I experimented with. Can they easily be modified such that they are on demand?

I see, thank you for the better explanation. I've read a little about it from UREI's literature, but I am a laymen and don't fully understand all the terminology. Kind of a dhumbass, really.. On that note, when you've used the conductor compensator circuit, have you noticed a difference sound wise? I believe my cable runs are just under 8 ft.

Dual mono is very appealing, that and since they were designed for the 8xx series monitors has me desiring to own one, complete the collection. Sadly, I've just purchased that SR-II, so the audio bux coffers are a bit depleted at the moment. Otherwise I'd be very interested in nabbing that amplifier.

Gotcha, I could probably wait. Buut, in case I want a project, what type of foam would you use?

Yep, that's the one.

Were they originally shipped in crates? This SR-II came to me from California with no damage, insulated on every side by thick styrofoam...

The fan would probably irk me, I listen at very low levels when I'm working from home, so it would have to be something I experimented with. Can they easily be modified such that they are on demand?

I see, thank you for the better explanation. I've read a little about it from UREI's literature, but I am a laymen and don't fully understand all the terminology. Kind of a dhumbass, really.. On that note, when you've used the conductor compensator circuit, have you noticed a difference sound wise? I believe my cable runs are just under 8 ft.

Dual mono is very appealing, that and since they were designed for the 8xx series monitors has me desiring to own one, complete the collection. Sadly, I've just purchased that SR-II, so the audio bux coffers are a bit depleted at the moment. Otherwise I'd be very interested in nabbing that amplifier.

Gotcha, I could probably wait. Buut, in case I want a project, what type of foam would you use?
    Urei literature lists the net weight at 84# and shipping weight at 95#. That doesn't sound like crating to me, but delivery driver quality has plummeted in recent years. I've received some items I had shipped to me that arrived poorly. I try to make sure if I ship something the packing is gorilla proof.

But parcel shippers won't take crates, only boxed goods so then I end up boxing the crates... But things arrive safely and that is my concern.

Don't know about disabling the fans. I'm a wood butcher, not a sparky. But with the full dual mono design each channel has it's own power switch; you can run only one channel if need be.

8' cables would have minimal improvement from the conductor compensation. The longer the runs the more the improvement, and the improvements are most notable in transient response.

For the Urei horn lips, I'd probably start experimenting with blue pool noodles...

Oh wow, that is one hefty amplifier. Would be the heaviest I've ever muscled around, think I would need help.. Right, within the last year I've dealt with two packages that were damaged.

10-4. I suppose if I ever ended up with one I'd see about having it modded, I only know how to turn wrenches, and with some mediocrity. Also great to know about the conductor compensation. I could never come across anything that read in such a way I could decipher.

Cool! Glad to know I wouldn't be seen as a hack for doing that haha.

This past weekend my 813C's had puppies:

Thread Information