Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

I have always said it like YOUR - A

EI - like Neighbor or Weigh

(but - if not, it wouldn't be the first time I pronounced something wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    This thread has me wondering: What is the accepted pronunciation of "UREI".

I realize it's simply an acronym for United Recording Electronics Industries, but I've never heard it pronounced "U—R—E—I, like JBL. So what is the accepted way to say it? "Youree" or "Youreye"? Something else?

Anxious to put this one to rest!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Having been a user of UREI equalizers and compressors from before they even made speakers we called them Your-E.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I have always said it like YOUR - A

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    Having been a user of UREI equalizers and compressors from before they even made speakers we called them Your-E.
    Same here! ( with a slight upward-tilting inflection on the "E" for emphasis >> though that might well have been the Quebec influence )

In my corner of the world I’ve always heard it pronounced the way that Rusty said. The same as saying Yuri.

Widget

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Ay as in neighbor, ee as in Yuri—both good choices. I always favored aye as in heist, but then
    I like caper movies. The common practice is best, because getting it right shows how plugged-in you are, but since it's not really a word, none are really wrong. Any will be understood.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

One of my "spare" coaxial drivers has bad surrounds and has been sitting on a shelf in the basement, waiting for me to take time to redo it.
    Well, I bought a set of 4 surrounds from Rick Cobb last month, and took the time this week to clean it up and redo it.

The Coaxial tweeter driver was unscrewed off the back and removed while I cleaned all the bad surrounds and old glue off the casting and
    back of the woofer cone. I do the cleanup using MEK and scrapers on the frame on my back porch with LOTS of fresh air. NASTY stuff, but effective!

I did the usual 2 step process - glue the new surround to the back of the woofer cone.
    I did check it with the 30 Hz test tones - then I let it dry overnight,

Next day glue the surround to the speaker frame, and glue down the 4 pieces of the baffle-spacer in place.
    Clothespins can hold that down and in place overnight, then, you're done.

Comparison image of JBL 2214 woofers vs UREI 809A Coaxial driver (Same surround kit)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Nicely done. One of these days I'd like to attempt a refoam job. Until recently, I did not know they made a coaxial 2214H! Your horns & their foam look perfect, were they redone?

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Looks Great!!

I especially like the Blue Ports in the sub-woofers ( nice visual touch! )

Very cool set up indeed. Thierry, how do you like that 6500 amplifier?

I stumbled upon this thread @ Audiokarma:
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....er-see.698532/

A discussion about the former Le Studio in Quebec (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Studio) as well as some urban exploration videos of the historic site. They had UREI 815A's! They're actually still there, or were at the time the video was shot. One still in the soffits and another on the floor, the camera man is unaware of their status/significance as he walks past them to pause on a room full of junk instead. Gotta love that about these urbexer's.. The "music" in the videos within that link is terrible, I imagine that if it was possible for fax machines to fornicate, that's what it would sound like. Good thing for the mute feature I guess. Pretty cool to see UREI monitors in the wild, and even cooler to see the acts which might've used them to mix & master their albums.

If anyone else has information about studios which used the UREI 8xx series, please post the stuff here! I've even stumbled across a studio on the west side of Michigan which has two rooms utilizing 813C's and 813B's or A's. Really rad to see them still clocking in on the job.

From memory, Le Studio was built in the 70's in Morin-Heights with large windows and nice forest surroundings proper for creation and low noise recordings. A number of international stars have recorded there, as well as local ones.

Nick Blagona was the Engineer, Andre Perry studio manager and Yeal Brendeist owned the studio (i may have misspell some name here but its pretty much what it was).

However, i simply can't remember the UREI monitors there, nor the recording console they used, dumb me... i might have the info hidden in a pile of Professional Sound Magazines i kept, one of which also presented the Bryston/JBL touring system of a Canadian PA firm.

As i recall, the UREI monitor was designed (at least for the Time Align crossover) by Edward M. Long (Ed Long and Associates). Among other things, he's also credited for the first near-field monitor. Maybe the smaller UREI??

Sorry i can't help you more than that.

Richard