Thread: Can a D140F be reconed into a 130A?

Can a D140F be reconed into a 130A?

I need a 130A for my Harkness and wondered if this is an option.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I need a 130A for my Harkness and wondered if this is an option.
    Greetings -

It is my understanding, that the magnetic gap for the D series musical instrument speakers designed for Fender was opened up, which resulted in a loss of efficiency. It's doubtful you will end up with a direct replacement by re-coning a D140F. The 2220 series woofers are a Thiele-Small parameter dead match to the 130A, but for the upgrade to the surround. I recommend locating a 2220A or subsequent models that have not been re-coned, unless you find one re-coned with a JBL kit. I see many 130A's on Ebay, some of which have been re-coned, but most likely they are after market kits.

BTW - There is no such thing as a 130A cone kit any longer. The 130A was an all paper cone, the likes which have not been seen in decades. There is an outfit in Arizona selling D130 F? drop in kits, but as companies such as that have never published T-S parameters of a finished product, I hold their claims suspect. Even though the D130 and 130A used the same cone, they are not the same speaker. One kit had an aluminum V.C., and the other was Copper. Various similar T-S parameters, but not identical as with the 2220.

H.F.

opened

The very very very first gen "D" series woofers had a narrower gap which was changed early on so not that many of them "need" this no-longer-available factory modification..and has nothing to do with the later musical instrument / professional series.

What also isn't mentioned is that the edge-wound wire / thickness of the coils were also increased to mitigate this effect - and is WHY earlier models ( SOMETIMES) needed to be "opened" up.. In many cases, they would fit...

Your understanding is somewhat incorrect and outdated....the 2220 has a DEEPER magnetic gap, COPPER vs Au voice coil, DIFFERENT voice coil depth and DIFFERENT dustcap than than the D130 which all contribute to a different "sound" There is NO interchange between the kits.

The "140-4C" structure is also a unique item to reconeing and operating parameters.

Please do some research before you post. There are many posts on this site which describe the "goes into" equivalencies and common magnetic structures for reconing.

sub

"It is my understanding, that the magnetic gap for the D series musical instrument speakers designed for Fender was opened up, which resulted in a loss of efficiency. It's doubtful you will end up with a direct replacement by re-coning a D140F. The 2220 series woofers are a Thiele-Small parameter dead match to the 130A, but for the upgrade to the surround. I recommend locating a 2220A or subsequent models that have not been re-coned, unless you find one re-coned with a JBL kit. I see many 130A's on Ebay, some of which have been re-coned, but most likely they are after market kits."

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    The very very very first gen "D" series woofers had a narrower gap which was changed early on so not that many of them "need" this no-longer-available factory modification..and has nothing to do with the later musical instrument / professional series.

What also isn't mentioned is that the edge-wound wire / thickness of the coils were also increased to mitigate this effect - and is WHY earlier models ( SOMETIMES) needed to be "opened" up.. In many cases, they would fit...

Your understanding is somewhat incorrect and outdated....the 2220 has a DEEPER magnetic gap, COPPER vs Au voice coil, DIFFERENT voice coil depth and DIFFERENT dustcap than than the D130 which all contribute to a different "sound" There is NO interchange between the kits.

The "140-4C" structure is also a unique item to reconeing and operating parameters.

Please do some research before you post. There are many posts on this site which describe the "goes into" equivalencies and common magnetic structures for reconing.

sub

"It is my understanding, that the magnetic gap for the D series musical instrument speakers designed for Fender was opened up, which resulted in a loss of efficiency. It's doubtful you will end up with a direct replacement by re-coning a D140F. The 2220 series woofers are a Thiele-Small parameter dead match to the 130A, but for the upgrade to the surround. I recommend locating a 2220A or subsequent models that have not been re-coned, unless you find one re-coned with a JBL kit. I see many 130A's on Ebay, some of which have been re-coned, but most likely they are after market kits."
    My "research" is based on what I was told by an applications engineer at JBL, Everett Huff. Never saw any reason to question him.

If you read my comment again you will notice that I wasn't comparing the D130 to the 2220, it is the 130A and 2220 that share identical T-S parameters. As for your gap comment, we appear to be in agreement, as you confirmed what I wrote. The 130A and D130 did in fact, use the same cone, not the same V.C. You'll also notice my comment about not having a direct replacement for a 130A by re-coning a D140F, no matter what the procedure is to accomplish that task. I saw no reason to get into the dimensional characteristics of voice coils, as I didn't consider it necessary. You'll have to to take my word that I'm quite familiar with the audible difference between an aluminum dust cap, and a paper dust cap.

I stick to my recommendation, that loading the C40 with a 2220 is a viable option that won't require the mechanical gymnastics of re-coning a musical instrument speaker.

Thread Information