Thread: Any feedback on white replacement surrounds for le8t?

Any feedback on white replacement surrounds for le8t?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to talking to you guys. I've just gotten started with JBLs this last year and am fascinated.

I've had a set of Lancer 44s for about a year with the original Lansaloy surrounds. I used the brake fluid trick last year and it worked - though used a little too much fluid on the passive radiators which bled into the cone in ugly black splotches. Probably gonna touch those up with some light coats of spray paint but that's not why I'm writing tonight.

I'm considering refoaming them and being done with it rather than reapplying brake fluid every year. I've seen these white replacement surrounds on eBay and I want to know if anybody had any good (or bad) experiences with them. I like the idea of keeping them white but I also want to do them right. I've read something about le8t needs a "skinny" surround and some kits on eBay say they are skinny but these don't mention them specifically.

Anybody have any feedback on working with these or similar white surrounds? I look forward to the wisdom of the forum.
    Cheers,
    David

Maron Horonzakz
    IT has more to do with proper compliance not color... JBL later kits were dark grey..

Thx Vlad. Agree that I want proper compliance. Do you (or anyone else) know whether the white ones have the proper compliance? For that matter, how would one know whether ANY particular black or even grey foam has the right compliance other than by getting a recommendation.

So, any body ever tried the white foam surrounds?

Maron Horonzakz
    Contact EDGEWOUND on this forum,,, He is a factory JBL installer

Cool Hafta Try Them...

That's the only way to know if they are any good or not. Put 'em on and measure the Fs (at least, full T/S would be better).

Sometimes you can tell if they are going to be in the ballpark just by the feel of them. For instance, I was thinking about repairing an old pair of 12" with the paper type surrounds that had torn, by replacing with a rubber surround. When the surrounds arrived I could tell right away that they were a lot stiffer than the paper had been, so gave up on that idea. (Then one of them developed an open circuit between the aluminum voice coil wire and the tinsel lead...)
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Thx guys

Thx Mike and Maron. I might have to give them a try but will be sure to give them the "feel" test before I fully commit.

Thread Information