Thread: Advice on shipping large vintage speakers coast to coast

Advice on shipping large vintage speakers coast to coast

Has anyone had to ship a large speaker from coast to coast? I'm looking at having one shipped from Los Angeles to the DC area. Unfortunately, I can't be there to pack it, so I 'd be looking at a service that can pack it or do coast to coast blanket wrap. Are there any companies that do a good (and hopefully reasonably-priced) job.

What are you shipping?

The care and preparation required varies dramatically depending on the speaker.
    Most of the big stuff I buy comes strapped to a pallet and arrives just fine with little to no special care at all. If I was shipping something or real value however,,,,

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

You should try the company listed below. They are expensive, but will pickup, pack professionally on pallet and ship freight and discount if you pickup at freight center. They are on uship, but you could probably call them directly. Is it the iconic?

(sorry, I meant I will PM you their info. The company is Packaging Store of Cerritos, CA.)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it is the "barn find" Iconic some one posted in an earlier thread. I'm going to go take a look and if (aside from the missing field coil supply) it works ok and the cone is in good shape, I'm going to go ahead and get it. We (at least I) don't see many on the east coast.

I used Uship.com and selected a moving company to ship a pair of Infinity RS-4.5s from Washington State to Northern Virginia. The moving company was not the lowest bidder but I felt they had the best chance of delivering the big Infinitys without damage. They packed and loaded the speakers onto a moving truck in Washington, drove them across country, and unpacked them right in my listening room here in VA. I was quite pleased with the whole deal.

I have used Uship four of five times and it's a great but sometimes the time it takes a few weeks for a good bid to come in.

You could also try Cargolution if you're still interested in a freight forwarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Alexandra View Post
    You could also try Cargolution if you're still interested in a freight forwarder.
    It's been eight years so I hope he's shipped them by now. Whatever you do, avoid ShipSmart like the plague. I'm still a fan of Uship. I've used them several times since my 2014 post and have never had a problem, and no packing is required. I've shipped several pairs of L300s, L200s and recently a pair of SVA2100s.

What are people paying for such services these days?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    It's been eight years so I hope he's shipped them by now. Whatever you do, avoid ShipSmart like the plague. I'm still a fan of Uship. I've used them several times since my 2014 post and have never had a problem, and no packing is required. I've shipped several pairs of L300s, L200s and recently a pair of SVA2100s.
    So they come to your place, pack them on site and take them?

I used UShip to get my 250Ti's to their new owner in Colorado. A father/daughter moving team showed up with a UHaul filled with a variety of things and they did a great job on the packing and moving.

It's not a conventional approach (moving company or shipper) but it's a viable alternative in this new economy...

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    What are people paying for such services these days?
    I'm curious about this as well.

Has anyone used this service in say the last 6-9 months? My reading is that it has changed dramatically since the pandemic started with 3rd party people getting involved and trying to resell the delivery for a profit and adding to the cost and timeline, blah, blah, blah. It kinda sounds like people have figured out how to mess up what was a pretty good idea.

Thread Information