Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's so special about the Augsburger mastering monitor?

What's so special about the Augsburger mastering monitor?

They seem to use TAD components and have that angled front baffle (against standing waves?) I love the simple two-way design (only one frequency crossing to f.ck-up)

You mean besides looking absolutely cool? I've always been enamored by the bright eyed Big Bird look that they have about them. And they sound good too. It would be fun to clone a pair. George's latest monitors are MTM towers but I prefer the looks of his older model that you show.

These have already been talked about a lot here.
    The horn is way too small to maintain a low enough crossover frequency with the dual 15" (horizontal or MTM), and its construction is not that great either (fins are just thin curved wood strips...)

TAD 160x drivers can be crossed reliably at 900Hz plus. They have a longer reach upwards than most 15 inch drivers. George Augspurger (their designer) is a competent engineer. However having said that I have never seen empirical plots of these systems. I don't even know what their crossover is set at. Does anyone have something they could post?

The issue will be directivity on the 15" pair axis (even with folding).
    90° beamwidth will probably be reach as low as 500Hz (or lower in MTM configuration), and then it will start to seriously beam.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The issue will be directivity on the 15" pair axis (even with folding)
    90° beamwidth will probably be reach as low as 500Hz (or lower in MTM configuration), and then it will start to seriously beam.
    Interesting ...

Anybody have empirical measurements to share? I confess, I've never satisfied myself that I understood the point of the 'wedge baffle' for the 15" pair. I had assumed that it was an effort to match the beamwidth characteristics of the horn at the crossover point.

That is fairly easy to simulate: the dimension of the source (or combination of sources, like a twin 15") will dictate its directivity behavior (with some additional suitabilities like cone shape, but this can mostly be ignored). Here is for example the polar plot of a 12" 2206H (I think this was simulated by RobH) :

You can scale that to a 15", or to a pair of 15" (lets say a 29" if they are folded, or maybe 31" otherwise ?...)
    Of course what count is the effective cone diameter, but scaling from the total diameter is close enough here...

Of course with a MTM configuration you would have to add the height of the horn.

Is it possible that the angling of the front baffle was intended to "spread" the beaming. BTW I see many TAD 160X used in a two-way configuration with a horn. So, indeed as Carl mentionned, they might be better than other 15" drivers at reaching higher. The horn seems small, so I doubt it goes down to 500Hz. 800Hz remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Is it possible that the angling of the front baffle was intended to "spread" the beaming. BTW I see many TAD 160X used in a two-way configuration with a horn. So, indeed as Carl mentionned, they might be better than other 15" drivers at reaching higher. The horn seems small, so I doubt it goes down to 500Hz. 800Hz remains possible.

I am fairly certain that is the case. I think it was in an interview with him I had read that the design intent of the angled baffle was the increase the coverage of the 2 woofers to better match the horn and to give more constant sound as the engineer moved around the console.

Al

Another example of the same idea:

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/XFCabs.html

Guy have a look at the monitors on the Reyaudio.com web site. There is a diagram of the geometry for the angled woofers.

right

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Guy have a look at the monitors on the Reyaudio.com web site. There is a diagram of the geometry for the angled woofers.
    Looks like an oriental Rube Goldberg ....

If you look at the monitor front on and imagine an arc that passes horizontally through the voice coil of the left woofer and through the apex of the centre point which = the compression driver diaphragm presumably and across to the right hand woofer that distance is maintained regardless of the angle.

That is what makes it image through the crossover point. Its rather clever actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    If you look at the monitor front on and imagine an arc that passes horizontally through the voice coil of the left woofer and through the apex of the centre point which = the compression driver diaphragm presumably and across to the right hand woofer that distance is maintained regardless of the angle.

That is what makes it image through the crossover point. Its rather clever actually.
    Clever indeed. Reminds me of old geometry classes: Thru three points, you can only align one cercle. That circle will have a center, which in this case is the focal point. But, by instinct, I would use as reference points the compressor's diaphragm in the center and the domes on the woofers. I don't think that spiders generate any sound.

Theses all have DSP crossovers now

http://www.proaudiodesign.com/augspurgerga215h.html

Thread Information