Thread: Easy question for you JBL experts...

Easy question for you JBL experts...

First post, long-time lurker. What a great group of really well-versed audio folks in here. I am building a project in a 1.65 cu. ft. vented (to be tuned to LF later) and want to cross a JBL 12" woofer at 1200Hz to a B&C D250 on an H290 WG. I listen to MANY genres of music. I have the crossover and HF comp. for the CD, but I was wondering what JBL 12" woofer is considered clean and smooth up to 1200HZ and still give me some admirable thump in the lows, Iron Law considerations what they are. Thanks. I'll hang up and get my answer off the air.

Why specifically a JBL woofer as the rest is NOT JBL?

Very good point...busted. If anyone expressed an adamant love for another, more modern example I would certainly consider it. What better place is there than this to get a reasoned, qualified response in the correct context?

What modern driver(s) (12 inch) fit the bill I illustrated in my first post? I don't need anything esoteric/expensive, just a good workhorse. Thanks

BTW I may have missed in your initial post what the speakers were intended for and what you consider a good low end thump. If you like to play loud, perhaps the JBL 2206 could do the job, and with a little electronic correction (bandpass centered at 45Hz with a Q=1.5), maybe it could make you happy. You may want to consider increasing the cabinet size if really the bottom end matters. But can it cleanly go as high as 1200Hz?

I run its bigger brother, the 2226, and was quite skeptical about it. Indeed, out of the box, it doesn't sound too good. Too much upper bass and midrange. But once equ'ed, it becomes a workhorse that can take a lot of juice. Very lively 15" driver. I am now in love.

Thanks for the reply. I like the Eminence Definimax 4012HO used in the 3Pi. I have the HF circuit as stated above in a 1.65 cf ported cabinet tuned to 34Hz. It is quite nice with an old Marantz Imperial 7, 12" driver. I just want to kick it up a notch and get a balance of bass and clean mids...thus my questions.

I have a newly-acquired pair of 2226 to build a 4Pi project, can't wait for that one to be finished.

Back to the 12". Are there any, new or old drivers that just measure well and flat to 1200Hz with very respectable in room bass? HPM100 woofers are being well-reviewed in a similar 2-way config.

Hi!

In my opinion a good 12" woofer that will go with good bass and good dispersion characteristic would be in the AE family and with lower distortion figures. Look for the TD series. They are often used as drop in replacement for JBL's.

Worth to take a look

http://www.aespeakers.com/products.php

Perhaps the TD12m? That would be another world. After my 2226 + B&C DE250 build (4 Pi), I'll probably go with that. I have heard nothing but raves about the AE TD line. With the B&C DE 250 in that combo it should be a half block away from heaven. Any other thought folks?

Thread Information