Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Turntables , Vinyl , Welcome back!

I had one of those pass through the shop some years ago. Stunning build quality , perhaps a shade blingy in the styling. As I recall it was a first class performer.
    Certainly will not wear out on you and pound for pound something of a bargain actually when compared to some of the inflated prices that some turntables command.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I had one of those pass through the shop some years ago. Stunning build quality , perhaps a shade blingy in the styling. As I recall it was a first class performer..
    One passed thru my hands a while back. You are right about build quality . HEAVY platter.
    Many are thrashed and some have a surface crazing on the anodizing. I never got a belt short
    enough and the connecting cable under the arm was wrong pins.
    Traded the Technics M2 for it and later moved it off on CL. Saw it again for sale (at nearly this ad's price) about a year later (that owner had not got it going either)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Sleepers...........grab one while you can

Styling (and Direct Drive) may not be for everyone, but build quality is hard to beat
    Tonearm is superb and allows for VTA and Bias adjust on the "fly"
    SHOULD BE RE-CAPPED if you like and plan on keeping it
    My favorite out of the series is the "60"; the convenience of automatic but without all of the ICs and extra "features" of the "70" (you'll never find service parts for a "70" if it breaks down or needs and IC (it has that electric motor controlled tonearm lift that was popular during this period with several manufacturers)

This series of deck, when re-capped properly, should easily see another 35 years of trouble free operation; that is how well they are built
    Enough of them still floating around that you can find one for small change if you are vigilant

Guy on the local "craigslist" was having trouble realizing $200 for a nice one here about a month ago (but his problem was his ad, not the deck) Wish I had printed that one out; a "craigslist" ad for all times) I have had absolutely no problems seeing $500 and up for the 3 I have re-capped and sold, with NO cart

Originally supplied with an auxiliary counterweight. "SONY" branded 45 adapter and set down adjustment "key"; these are often lost unfortunately, but I have been lucky and all 3 of mine had theirs! Dutiful owners all taped these bits to the plinth with masking tape?!

The sound quality of this table is VERY good and you can use any catridge you choose and not have to worry about it, the arm is that good:
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X60.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duaH2kHSmlM

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    I had one of those pass through the shop some years ago. Stunning build quality , perhaps a shade blingy in the styling. As I recall it was a first class performer.
    Certainly will not wear out on you and pound for pound something of a bargain actually when compared to some of the inflated prices that some turntables command.
    I started getting serious about the Empire ...seller replied:

Hi ,
    the Empire sold , it was a ADC XLM cart.
    Sincerely,
    Kara

Like I really needed another TT ?? but would add bling to the LR.

yesterday & today I've been falling into audio deals. Among them was a Dual TT (1268).

On first glance I saw the strobe markings on the platter and speed adjustment ... hmmm , has to be DD
    as I've never seen a belt drive with those features. WRONG.

they call it a "vario belt system" who knew ? it's the ULM series (ultra low mass) with Ortofon cart.
    Pretty huge & solid. quiet performer. No spots for more, so .....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Vinyl Records See a Comeback During Music's Digital Age

RARE-MINT!! ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-XA TURNTABLE WITH SUPERB REGA RB-300 ARM!! EC!!

RARE LEGENDARY COLLECTORS ITEM!!

ACOUSTIC RESEARCH [UK]......

AR-XA TYPE BELT DRIVE TURNTABLE!!

Time left: 5d 21h
    Price:
    AU $1,195.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-MINT.../221900347894?

Wow, I've had 5 or 6 of these (but with standard arm) ... added together, they don't total even half of this.

In the last batch of 3 turntables I received, there was one that I did not want to invest any time into. Did checkout the cart.
    It's an Empire 880 p .

did some research on it and seems very well liked. Anybody know about it ? Mac ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't think I've encountered that one. Prob give the Shure V15 a run for it's money. Neither Empire or Pickering had strong representation in the UK

Take a macro of the diamond , you should be able to get an idea if it is in good shape

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/empire/880p.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    In the last batch of 3 turntables I received, there was one that I did not want to invest any time into. Did checkout the cart.
    It's an Empire 880 p .

did some research on it and seems very well liked. Anybody know about it ? Mac ?
    Was and still is a heavy hitter on the right arm (better than the SHURE M3D which is a pretty damn good cart if you've ever heard one) but without the need to tack at 3 and above grams
    Heavy cart, weighs in at around 10 grams
    The final and finest version was the 880 PE
    The "PE" was an elliptical stylus, .0002 x .0009 RD (0.2 x 0.9 Mil), 15 degree vertical tracking
    VTF could be set very low (especially for the day)
    Could easily track at 1.5-2 grams, Empire claimed an optimistic 1/2 gram was possible
    Frequency response published for the conical (first) version was 6 - 30,000 cycles!
    I have a brand new, NOS 880PE stylus that's never been installed on a cart if you decide to do anything with it
    I did some research on the 880 series some time back but can't locate my notes at the moment
    If you decide you DON'T want to use it with anything, throw it up on eprey; the 880s will bring some decent coin

It's an Empire 880 p .

Was and still is a heavy hitter on the right arm (better than the SHURE M3D which is a pretty damn good cart if you've ever heard one) but without the need to tack at 3 and above grams
    Heavy cart, weighs in at around 10 grams
    There were three versions of the cartridge (achieved with stylus changes by Empire as new models or the end user with a stylus change, same as what SHURE did over time with the M3D, V15s and others)
    The first was a heavy tracking conical similar to the SHURE M3D with a white plastic bit
    Secondly came the most common 0.6 Mil conical which tracked much lighter as mentioned with a green plastic bit and finally, the 880PE elliptical with a black plastic bit on the shank
    The final and finest version was the 880PE
    The "PE" was an elliptical stylus, .0002 x .0009 RD (0.2 x 0.9 Mil), 15 degree vertical tracking
    VTF could be set very low (especially for the day)
    Could easily track at 1.5-2 grams, Empire claimed an optimistic 1/2 gram was possible (same was claimed with the .06 Mil conical, green shank)
    Frequency response published for the conical (green) version was 6 - 30,000 cycles!
    I have a brand new, NOS 880PE stylus that's never been installed on a cart if you decide to do anything with it
    I did some research on the 880 series some time back but can't locate my notes at the moment
    If you decide you DON'T want to use it with anything, throw it up on eprey; the 880s will bring some decent coin
    I need to do the same with this stylus as all of my Empires disappeared ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Was and still is a heavy hitter on the right arm ....
    Thanx for the detailed info TW. May mount it in a spare shell and give it a go. (sure is pretty )

mine is the green.

Thanx for the detailed info TW. May mount it in a spare shell and give it a go. (sure is pretty )

mine is the green.
    You have to actually look at the end inside the cart to be sure which stylus you have
    The plastic you can see on the outside only coincides with whatever model designation it started life as

RARE-MINT!! ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-XA TURNTABLE WITH SUPERB REGA RB-300 ARM!! EC!!

RARE LEGENDARY COLLECTORS ITEM!!

ACOUSTIC RESEARCH [UK]......

AR-XA TYPE BELT DRIVE TURNTABLE!!

Time left: 5d 21h
    Price:
    AU $1,195.00

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-MINT.../221900347894?

Wow, I've had 5 or 6 of these (but with standard arm) ... added together, they don't total even half of this.
    I understand and appreciate the importance of the AR turntables, the early ones really do represent a milestone product, primarily for consumers (people who wanted to play records and have them sound better than the Grind-O-Matics, Stack-O-Matics that most folks had) And to be able to play them at least a few times before needing another copy!

That being said, I cannot for the life of me understand the money people pour into those shit decks today and when they are done (the full blown route, a la the "Vinyl Nirvana" and others) they've changed every piece of it. THOUSANDS of dollars can be spent on those things. Even the Teledyne era tables.

I mean, if building's your thing there are easier (and much better to begin with) ways to do it.

To each his own I guess. I had and sold and maybe would like to have again an original, but more for nostalgia than anything else. With a lot of my pressings starting at $40 bucks a pop and upwards, the AR deck and arm just doesn't inspire in me a whole lot of confidence.

NOT knocking "Vinyl Nirvana" or anyone else; just don't see it (or hear it). I've heard one of the late models with handfuls of money thrown at it...................like I said, don't get it.

People still love them though, that's for certain. Personally I think it's a lot to do with the cult of personality. Any of the top drawer Jap DDs will kick it's ass (for under a grand).

The Teledyne ownership did a good job of creating an illusion of high performance (read: "hi-fi") there towards the end (just sell ANY deck without an arm and you'll have legions of fans)
    But what's THAT tell ya?

Thread Information