Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4435 diy build

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    My 4350's are much modified and I don't think anyone who has had 4350's wouldn't argue that they are indeed a different animal, quite possibly the most dynamic loudspeaker JBL ever built in one box. How close to flat are your 4350's? Mine are not, on purpose.

Just a suggestion, give your 4430's some time to show you what they are good at before you make them something they're not.
    I do not know how close to flat my DIY 4350’s are, my guess is that they are not flat.
    This is a speaker with many faults as well as strengths, I am of the opinion that the 2” compression driver is responsible for the main fault with this monitor, this driver can easily fill a stadium by itself and at times I feel that it jumps out overpowering all other drivers in 4350, particularly at higher volumes. The stock 3107 crossover does not properly contain and control the compression driver from screaming too loud at times.

Although generally speaking JBL’s are considered better suited for pop/rock as opposed to classical, I am strictly into classical and some acoustic jazz and I prefer JBL sound to other brands for their effortless reproduction of dynamic recordings.

As for 4430, I decided not to buy for reasons cited in my previous post.

Vahe

I didn't get that you didn't buy them.

I absolutely love my 4350's. If one could only get a better horn on the 2440/2441 without modifying the baffle I would have done it for sure. I have modeled a rapid flare horn for use with a 1.5" driver that fits the stock cutout for the 2311 but I am not good at getting those type of things finished.

Mine are four way active and I don't think I could ever go back. If I could only keep one pair of speakers, the 4350's would be the ones, warts and all.

Best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

If it's of any help, I can loan you a pair of slots (with a 1uF cap) to try to hear if it's wot ur looking for.
    They're not for sale, but I'm always happy to help out.....
    (PM) me if you want.)

Woofer (George.)
    I might be deaf, but I can still hear da bells! (Quasimodo)
    .... Oh, and the Kick Drum.

Can you help me with the 4435 internal net volume numbers?

Hi,

I have been sitting on a pair of 4435s without cabinets for years and it is time to do something about that. I want to modify the cabinet design to be more like my L150A, so a tower design with JBL blue fronts and Maple veneer.

I understand that each cabinet is 5 cubic feet net. But can anyone help me with the following specs, please?

1. What is the interior volume taking up by each woofer and by the horn?
    2. Does the hon sit in a separate internal inclosure? It looks like it does from the cabinet pictures I have seen.
    3. If #2 is a yes, does it then reduce the net size of the one woofer cabinet on that size (how big?) or has the been size compensation for the horn enclosure such that net volume is 5 cu ft on both sides?

Best regards, Bo

Thread Information